It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Suppressed African Space Programme

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I love Mr. Nkoloso's passion. I had never heard of his "space program", but, as with many adventurous, passionate dreamers, they become historical footnotes at best. Until the right mix of knowledge, expertise, and funding is achieved, there are many dreams that do not get off the ground.

I can remember South Africa's missile program, but that program was scrubbed, because it was for nuclear warhead launches, not astronauts. Today there is still the desire for launching rockets from African soil, for purposes other than warheads, however. Marcom developing South African rocket engine

I like Nigeria's focus

“The focus of our space program is on the socio-economic development of the country,” Ale told IBTimes in his airy office at the Abuja campus. “The best way to fast-track development in any part of the world today is through the application of space science and technology, and that informed the decision of the federal government of Nigeria to come up with the space program.

Nigeria: It's Not Just Spam Scams And Petro-Terrorists; The West African Nation Also Has A Viable Space Program Aimed At Improving Lives

America's space program was very good for regional economies, besides providing a national focus on science and achievement.

reply to post by hellobruce

ROFLMAO

America's space program was at first also For Men Only, as male urination could be taken care of much easier than female urination at the time. Other reasons were out there at the time: Right Stuff, Wrong Sex: NASA’s Lost Female Astronauts

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

mirageman
His trainees, were given basic overalls and some old British military headgear. An essential part of the training, to simulate the feeling of weightlessness in a zero gravity environment, would be to climb into a 44 gallon oil drum. This was then rolled down a hill to bounce over rough ground. Another part of this extensive training was simulating “freefall”. This was achieved by having the participants swing from a rope and cutting it whilst they were in midair. Handstands were also a regular part of the training drills to ensure the first Africans could get about the red planet one way or another.

Surpressed?

Here's my opinion. There were numerous individuals wearing boilersuits rolling down a hill within an oil drum, before trying to fly and ending the stunt with a handstand.

This was not a space program, this was a night out following a few bottles of tequila.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Seven million? if that guy could have gotton to Mars on seven million, just think how stupid NASA would have looked, I bet NASA paid seven million to stop him going to Mars!

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

James1982
Evidently I lack the intelligence to pick up whatever it is the OP is actually trying to say, so could you please say it in plain english?

The OP implied suppression of an african space program and I cannot find any evidence of this.

The OP implied they were capable of such a feat, I've seen no evidence of this.

Please explain the point of this thread? Can someone give me a short description of the vid? My computer doesn't have sound, maybe I'm missing the punchline or something? Considering the varying types of personalities posting here on ATS it's hard to figure out what exactly the point is. Is this just a joke making fun of them? Not getting it, I'm not ashamed to admit.
edit on 24-11-2013 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence I just think you were looking a little too seriously at things (if you didn't catch the video then perhaps that explains it). I was simply being a bit mischievous with the story and poking fun at the naivety of Mr. Nkoloso. The only point to posting the thread was, despite the sarcastic humour, that I like this story and especially the guy's pure enthusiasm to do something extraordinary. These days Africa has a number of nations interested in space exploration and the science behind it.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The way I see it is, is that true achievement--to borrow a phrase--always rests on the shoulders of giants.

The vision always comes first…then the little details.

Nkoloso saw a hole that had to be filled. He rose to the occasion and offered his philosophical, adventurous, and wonderfully cosmic vision.

Frankly…I'm damned impressed!

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mirageman

One of the best threads I have seen for a while, touché.

Interesting, well presented, funny and yet there lies beneath the candyfloss surface a serious message...

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join