It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Algebra requirement

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Reading, writing, arithmetic.

Of course that has been expanded to Humanities, Social Studies, English, Fine Arts, Science, etc.

But I must ask, why oh why is Algebra still a requirement??

My elderly mother recalls being forced to learn Latin in school. Never used it once in her lifetime. Same with Algebra, who uses it unless they are going into a field that requires it?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
algebra helps train the mind in analytical thought which can be applied throughout your life.

latin, in case you didn't know, is the root language of English, as well as the romance languages.

My son is taking Latin in 8th grade...his choice.

It has already markedly improved his vocabulary and reading comprehension.

Sometimes things are not what they appear, and mandatory classes are no different.

So, suck it up and apply yourself.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Trust me. If you plan on going to college, eat every morsel of math you can get your hands on. College math is a whole different world than highschool math. You really have to kno the basics, and Algebra is where it starts.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:29 PM
link   
You have a very bright son and that is fabulous!

Philosophy, Psychology, Sociology, Political Science. All of those subjects not only trains the mind in analytical thought processes but are also able to be applied in every day life.

Unlike Algebra.

Yes, I am flunking algebra.

I just do not see the logic nor the pattern!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Algebra, eh? Well, let's see: You need algebra for geometry, and you need geometry in more jobs than you would think. Not to mention college math courses--you gotta start with some kind of foundation.

List me some careers (I mean real jobs-no janitor/fastfood crap) that don't require you to know some bit of algebra or geometry and maybe I'll consider accepting your belief that algebra should be retracted from the curriculum.

And believe it or not, Latin does help you. I'm taking it (my choice) and it has helped me in English and Science.

[edit on 17-11-2004 by UnknownOrigins]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
keep at it.

algebra is a subject that all of a sudden "you get it".

trust me...it will help you without you knowing it...and college requires it.

good luck...and perservere.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Most jobs do NOT need Algebra, nor Geometry, Trig, etc
If I wanted a job that required that then I would be going for a BS not a BA yes?

Anything in the Sciences, yes, one would want that background.

But if one is going for a Liberal Arts degree why do they need such advanced mathematics?

A taste of Algebra, just as a taste of Fine Arts for a Science Major should suffice, for a Liberal Arts Degree.

Sheesh, imagine the Mathematics majors having to take advanced Music Theory??

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
algebra is not higher math.

it is the foundation of higher math, and you need to quit whining, and hit the books.

that is all i have to say on this subject.

good luck.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Heh,

I guess you all didn't catch it when I said my elderly mother.

But I am a 34 year old, not a high school kid.

Algebra was not a requirement to graduate when I went to high school, thus I have no experience with it.

Yet I do know that it does not make sense in such a way that I can recall the formulas on a test.

Thus my 30 something ass with an almost 4.0 avg is actually going to flunk a class that is as outdated as latin.

Yes latin is a good thing, but then again, is no longer required!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
LEARN ALGEBRA!!!! or else you'll be stuck taking prealgebra in college. i know from experience and that's just how it is.

link   
Im 32 and going for my associates degree in Computer Electronics Engineering Technologies. I know its in the other direction you want to go, but the fact is, no matter what age you are, if you are going to get a college degree, you will have to have a certain level of math. Plain and simple. Employers look at your whole class agenda when recruiting you out of college. They see the math and to them it says "this guy didnt need it, but he is still doing well in the subject. Might be a good addition to the company." I cant stand math. I have to do math because its part of the carrer I have chosen. I also have a natural ability for it. I hate it, but it comes fairly easy. All I can say is you will need it in the future, even if you dont use it on your job, you may use it to score points on your next job interview.

link   

Originally posted by Leespitfire
A taste of Algebra, just as a taste of Fine Arts for a Science Major should suffice, for a Liberal Arts Degree.

Well, perhaps my statement may have been biased since I seem to be more interested in a scientific career more than any other subject right now. However, my point remains that you do use math in more jobs than you would think although it may not seem so while learning it. Algebra comes pretty easily to me, but I know that it does not for others. It kind of just clicks in eventually.
Also, I think that what's being taught is just a "taste" of algebra, however that may just be because the curriculum at your school could be perhaps higher than that which is to be considered normal.

*Edit: I posted this before I was aware that you aren't a high school kid, so please read accordingly

[edit on 17-11-2004 by UnknownOrigins]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leespitfire
You have a very bright son and that is fabulous!

Philosophy, Psychology, Sociology, Political Science. All of those subjects not only trains the mind in analytical thought processes but are also able to be applied in every day life.

Unlike Algebra.

Yes, I am flunking algebra.

I just do not see the logic nor the pattern!!!

Algebra has so much to do with basic logic, which is possibly why you do not see the logic in it. You are complaining that you might not be going for a BS, but those other classes are also more directly applied when used for a BS. Taking algebra just basically prepares you to face more things maybe not directly, but with a more organized way of thinking through things.

---pineapple

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Many of the secrets we are all searching for are hidden in ancient maths.

Algebra=FindTheUnknown

It is simple logical operation around the equals sign =

1+x=2
-1 -1
--- ----
0 1

Therefore, x=1

Try writing out all the operations graphically like that and see if it helps.

As to why learn it? Because it is the Language of God. And when the next asteroid reboots the system, you may be the only one left who can teach the survivors to speak it. Use it all the time navigating aircraft. Great for decoding Stonehenge. Hope this helps!

[edit on 17-11-2004 by Chakotay]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Leespitfire, I suggest you quit whining and start working on your math.

Colleges require basic math (and believe me, algebra is "basic math") for two reasons: First, there are a lot of problems that people -- even folks with a BA -- can solve with some basic equations.

Second, anyone who has intimations of being an educated person should be able to focus their will and intellect to handle such stuff.

And as far as your problems being an older American back in school -- well, I think that's good.

I got a BA in English because I was afraid of math and didn't think I could handle it. After seeing how much money people with technical education made, I went back after fifteen years to get a BS in engineering. Fortunately, Logistics is the "easiest" of the engineering disciplines, but I still had to take three semesters of calc and a linear algebra course -- including the four semesters of introductory stuff like algebra, geometry, and trig.

And I didn't like math then, and I still don't like it. But it did give me that practice in thinking things through logically and coherently, and that applies to most real-world problems, not just math ones.

FWIW, I'm back in school again, chasing an MBA, taking courses like managerial accounting I don't like and trying to gut them out -- and I'll be 60 next month.

If I can do it, you can.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
algebra is in everything. ever try to figure out what percentage and what amount of your paycheck goes to taxes... algebra. ever try to figure out how much you will earn in given amout of time... algebra. these are basic things involved in ANY job. you need them to defend yourself against big business sometimes.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by vapor
algebra is in everything. ���...

As pointed out by the previous and many others your usage of algebra for the most part is so ingrained that you don't even realize you are using it....put your head down and trudge on. I�m approaching 40 in my early thirties I entered college, earned a BS in engineering major of computer engineering with a minor in math....failed algebra more than once back in the early eighties. Oh and my twins were two when I graduated in 5.5 years while working full time just put your head down and grind, before you know it the light will come on. If you�re having trouble with algebra, just be glad you�re not taking trig, calc or diff eqs. btw good luck.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 03:31 AM
link   
People do learn algebra to ... or I would better say not "learn", as no one would remamber anyting of it within a year, but "do" algebra... to train and over-train their logical thinking and to shutt down their creative and intuitive thinking.

What do you need more? Logic? Intuition? Or maybe both?

If you have graduated long enough, what happened to those, who had "A" in algebra? I believe they went to collage and became very good 9to5 assistants or vice presidents of some companies, but they already could NOT create anything new or found their own company.

And those who created something new, how were they is school?

Anyway, guess it would be wiser not just learn algebra just because everybody does, but to
1. set your goals in life, decide that you want to achieve
2. then decide what is necessary for it

In the best case, find people to have already achieved similar goals and ask them what they needed for it.

[edit on 18-11-2004 by bratok]

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Im a civil engineer in the uk, and algebra and differenciating algebra is an essential part of modern engineering to get the most acrate calcualtions possible. without algebra, we would not be able to build any structures, or roads with any amount of accuracy. This is also true of integral calculus and other formula such as simpsons rule-which is usd to find areas and volumes.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I go to a magnet school, and I learned it in seventh grade. I think algebra is very important for someone to make their problem solving and mathematical skills better. But the problem these days is that most people end up working at McDonalds or other jobs that require little or no education. I understand not needing physics or calculus, but everyone should learn algebra.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join