It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you "promote" Humility while still being humble?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Of just share your truth and try to shine light in a very dimmed world where many are suffering, and also try to walk the way, have mercy on yourself and everyone when you stumble and use humor as much as you can.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
You do things without expectation of reward. You do them simply because they are the right thing to do, and when you finally do that right thing, it feels good even though it was hard. No one may ever know you did that good deed, but the feeling you get inside is what will make it worth it.

You promote humility by teaching that good deeds are their own reward. If that lesson is driven home often enough, you hope that someday that first good deed will be done, and humility follows. The good feeling you get from doing it right is enough that you don't feel like you have to tell everyone about it later on. You know you did a good thing and that is all that matters.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

This is difficult.

imho the best is: Just Be Humble (not to show off of course)
Don't force people to follow us or tell them to do the same thing.
If they think we can be the example to follow, then that's good but it is none of our business,
We won't take any credit for it, because it is they who deserve it, not us because it is theirs to decide.

peace.
edit on 24-11-2013 by dodol because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-11-2013 by dodol because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
You promote humility by being proud. Be proud of who you are, be proud of your journey, be proud of your beliefs, be proud of your religion, but be proud in a gentle way. This is humility. Humility is a form of pride; it is the outward moderation of pride despite being inwardly overwhelmed with pride, it is the respectful display of pride, and it is keeping harmony with your environment despite your pride.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Long ago, I used to think that if I remained humble, then others would reflect that back to me.
Like in The Brady Bunch, after a problem has arisen and been solved, we'd each take turns proclaiming where we saw our own part in it and what we learned.

In my own family though, I would take my turn, then everyone would look at me and say, "Okay. It's all your fault."
The humbleness didn't go around. I just ended up being the floor mat most of the time. People want to sound spiritual and say that is just fine, but realistically, if you are being treated this way by everyone, real logistical problems arise- you can't be of much aid or support to anyone if you are being drained and abused non-stop; you won't have the respect or power you need to even fulfill those roles (consider a parent for example, unable to protect or guide their children, due to their lack of assertiveness).

Being humble doesn't mean refusing the self- it means realizing that you are a self among other selves- that we all have the right to our own thoughts, opinions, personalities- and that our behaviors are only limited by their effect upon those around us.

No one else has to be humble. But I will now stand up for myself with full acknowledgment that my opinion is MINE- it is not universal law and no one else has to adhere to it.

This is my opinion only. But my opinion is essential... to me.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Bluesma

Being humble doesn't mean refusing the self- it means realizing that you are a self among other selves- that we all have the right to our own thoughts, opinions, personalities- and that our behaviors are only

I think we may have similar experiences with humility. You do not take the more extreme view that I take but it seems to stem from a similar experience.

Being humble does not entail refusing to promote yourself. Being humble entails promoting yourself in a respectful manner. It is an art form to make yourself look good without seeming vain and conceited. It requires an open mind and a clear sense of where your place is in regards to others in order to do this.

In the military, you get no where by refusing to promote yourself. You alone are in charge of letting others know how good you are, so in the interest of fairness you are obligated to make yourself look as good as possible for your superiors. In this way whether you like it or not you have to constantly promote yourself to educate your superiors so they know your talents and accomplishments, and can promote you or place you in the appropriate position accordingly.

It goes the other way too... you are obligated to make yourself look good for your subordinates in order to retain their confidence and maintain unit cohesion. Without their confidence and unit cohesion your unit won't perform as well in battle... this is potentially a question of life and death.

So I hope I make it clear... humility is just a way to express pride. If you view it any other way it is bound to be more destructive to you than it is helpful.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join