It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you "promote" Humility while still being humble?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Once you say you believe every one should live in a humble way, you are already being hypocritical saying that YOUR way of living is better than everybody else's.

Unless a person is actually asking, if you try to "teach" or "help" others you may look like a know-it-all to others saying YOUR understanding and ways of looking at things is BETTER than everyone else's.

Even expressing your opinion can be arrogance because it may not be pleasing to others and mess up the "harmony"...

No matter how hard you try you cannot please everyone. Evrn if you live in service to others conflicts will happen when people want opposite things from you.
edit on 24-11-2013 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
The best way to promote humility is the best way you promote anything to do with lifestyle/moral/religious beliefs.

LIVE IT

Live in a way that when people see you they KNOW that humility is a good thing and something they might want to think about. If you live it in a way others can witness it's benefits then you will not need to "promote" it... they will go looking for it on their own.

That's my opinion on it anyway.

edit on 11/24/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

It sounds beautiful, but most people are selfish. They want happiness in the form of succeeding over others, getting what they want, having complete control over outcomes, not as humbly helping others.

Even some "spiritual" people want it. They want to be able to use their "energy" or pray to "God" to get what they want, self-satisfaction rather than satisfaction of giving to bring joy to others.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
The best way to promote humility is the best way you promote anything to do with lifestyle/moral/religious beliefs.

LIVE IT

Live in a way that when people see you they KNOW that humility is a good thing and something they might want to think about. If you live it in a way others can witness it's benefits then you will not need to "promote" it... they will go looking for it on their own.

That's my opinion on it anyway.

edit on 11/24/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

I agree. Being an example is the best promotion.

Also, if someone is discussing ideas on a forum and want to put their view across, I don't think it has to be arrogant to promote humility. You have to try to be humble when you're posting such things. For example by stating that you're open to other people's views but that you are just stating what you believe, or that you believe a certain thing to be true but that you don't necessarily think you yourself is the best example.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

No one has a humble opinion. Say what you mean and believe in, the response of others to that belief is their problem.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:52 AM
link   

arpgme
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

It sounds beautiful, but most people are selfish. They want happiness in the form of succeeding over others, getting what they want, having complete control over outcomes, not as humbly helping others.

Even some "spiritual" people want it. They want to be able to use their "energy" or pray to "God" to get what they want, self-satisfaction rather than satisfaction of giving to bring joy to others.

Indeed. It is easier said than done and none of us can live anything 100%. That comes with being human in my opinion. We can try but most of us falter a lot more than we are willing to admit... myself included. All we can do is try our best and not give into the selfishness, greed, etc. more often than we don't.

I am also a spiritual person and I try very hard not to pray for self serving things. I often pray that God's will be done over my own because more often than not, I would pray self serving prayers. It is human nature.

In the end all we can do is try to live in a way that we hope is positive to us and to those around us, but not build yourself up to something you are not so those same people do not see you fall out of your Ivory Tower too frequently.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Actions speak louder than words.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Why try to change any one? Is it your job? Their reality is their own. Why set your path out in front of them... it will only lead people from their own path.

None of us are so perfect that we should be self acclaimed examples to others.

Those who believe they are, are the least worthy to follow, in my opinion.

As already expressed in the thread, lead by example. It will be frustrating, aggravating, demoralising and occasionally test your limits. But it is all you can do and occasionally when it is appreciated and acknowledged, it will make the negativity of most selfish people seem petty.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
this is how you do this, i will show you how i look being humble.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
It all comes hand in hand with the realisation that we are all one in the same.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
You can't force humility any more than you can force morality or empathy.

The most you can do is ask.

And when they don't embrace humility, humbly beat them with a large stick!

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I simply choose to display my pride in my humility as an
example to others, there is nothing wrong with being
proud of being humble.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I'm the biggest, the best, the most beautiful

...and the most humble.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Why do you think your way is better than mine? That's not humble.

Personally I really don't care if a person is humble or not I'm just responding like this as an example so people can see what I mean.

"I" do not care about changing others, as long as they are not controling another human being.

Justice MUST be maintained other wise everyone's freedom is at risk.

=======================
I want to say something else but don't want to make another thread just to say it so I will say it here since it sort of relates to humility.. (it's opposite - arrogance)

Examples of false arrogance:
(I am defining arrogance to mean a person who feels they are better than others)

1. They fight or compete to prove themselves.

If you really feel that you are better than others then there is no need to care for what people think of you

2. They control others.

Forcing someone to do something against their will is a form of weakness, it shows your desperation.

3. They want everyone to believe like them.

Arguing about beliefs to compare another person's point of view is one thing, but ignoring everyone else while telling them what they should believe is another thing. Telling your beliefs and saying you don't want to change them is your choice but not being able to explain why you believe what you do and ignoring others instead of answering them shows your insecurities.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
No, "I" am more humble. Nobody is more humble than ME. You should all be humble like ME. If "I" am unworthy then so are YOU otherwise you are not as "humble" as "I". If you are more fortunate than me it's because you fell into the evil ways of the world instead of being humble like me...

You see how this type of thinking progresses?

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

arpgme
Once you say you believe every one should live in a humble way, you are already being hypocritical saying that YOUR way of living is better than everybody else's.

Every being with WILL to do so, can or should have a control of the free will granted. If noticed from another's perspective that it seems another is not behaving in a non humble way a offer of positive criticism can be given, but if not taken force is not to be placed upon the. For the force then becomes a non humble act...

NAMASTE*******

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Interesting points and certainly a worthy topic.

imho, HUMILITY is one of the most highly prized-of-God ways of being in the world; one of the most crucial heart attitudes.

And, I believe that living it is one of, if not THE most effective ways to promote, spread humility--by modeling it.

It's not very 'evangelistic' by nature . . . more subtle etc.

However, on occasion, a dramatic sacrificial act of humility can land in folks' awareness like a thousand ton rock.

Few of us forget dramatic examples of extreme humility.

And most of us are outraged at the extreme examples of arrogance, pride so common in our era--particularly by the globalist satanic oligarchy.

I think one of the most powerful ways and times to promote humility are those situations where the opposite is SOOOO ROUTINELY AND EMPHATICALLY EXPECTED.

When folks expect one to 'blow-up' in extreme arrogance and defensive pride--and one responds in humility--maybe even brokenness and a servant-hearted attitude--it kind of resets everyone's clocks of all those nearby.

. . . and, I think it can be said that . . .

HUMILITY IS AS HUMILITY DOES.

Talk is cheap.

Foremost, imho, humility is a HEART ATTITUDE . . . when it's genuine.

LOVING HUMILITY is a very difficult combination to beat in virtually any situation.

I've watched spiritual leaders on the issue of humility vs pride for more than 60 years. Very few make the grade, imho . . . regardless of the label on the door.

Those that come close are much more powerful in their impact-for-good on other people.

my 2 cents.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

introspectionist
I'm the biggest, the best, the most beautiful

...and the most humble.

. . . uhhhhh . . . of course . . .

. . . uhhhhh . . . EXCEPT when you're NOT!

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
How can using language make you the opposite of what you're sharing. By your reasoning, speaking up and trying to interject peace, between your two fighting children, means you are not peaceful but a Warrior yourself!

Speaking for Love and Peace and Humility or any virtue, and trying to share these, with anyone, family, online when addressing a situation, say a metaphysics, ufology or religious thread, does not put you on a pedistal, one often shares what one is learning. Most commonly, even Christ did that. Its human, apart of the journey. In some situations, like parenting, which has a steep learning curve, you absolutely have to, you're not off the hook.

But so is sharing in a world of violence, wars, injustice, homelessness, fascism etc, you're not off the hook either if you have some answers inside, and don't share.

But that doesnt mean you yourself are any less human and any less striving to live the ideal. Knowing the way and walking the way are not the same thing. But for those striving to walk it, to varying degrees, whether its easy or challenging, it doesnt forgo sharing.

Without sharing, it just means the dark hats get the say.
edit on 24-11-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Maybe instead of "promoting" humility while still being humble one could try "demoting" arrogance while still being arrogant? >.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join