It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secretary of Defense Hagel: U.S. 'deeply concerned' with China air defense map

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
(post by Unsympathetic removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   

namehere

Britguy

Why not? After all, Israel does so without any repercussions and the US just destroys entire countries that it sees as being a possible threat, not necessarily a military one, but a possible financial one at some point.
It's also China's backyard, not the USA's!

what does this have to do with isreal, the U.S or our supposed hypocrisy? china being aggressive and claiming the territorial waters and land of other nations is it's own matter and could lead to a much greater war than iraq or afghanistan ever was. do you expect china to be any better than us or more right in their actions just because they aren't america?
china isn't some benevolent saintly nation that will save or protect you.
will you keep harping on their greatness when japan, taiwan, vietnam, malaysia or the phillipines is invaded by them or they get invaded by them and millions die? because a thing like this will bring us a step closer to a great south pacific war of their own making.

Have you been living in a box or are you really that dumb that you have not noticed that Israel steals the land of others at gunpoint on a regular basis, or that the US has destroyed entire countries in recent times to further it's own agendas for control of resources. Strange though that while the US seems to prefer bombs and death as a means to control stuff, the Chinese have been taking a longer term stance and negotiating trade treaties! Who is the aggressor here?

Oh, and don't try to paint the US as being innocent and somehow benevolent either. If I had my way we'd be shutting down their military bases in my country tomorrow. See, it's a bit hypocritical pointing the finger at China, for what the US and Israel do themselves all the time, only with more bloodshed. The Chinese don't want invasions, but prefer trading partners and markets. Why destroy potential markets for your goods, thus removing huge financial and political gain? See, it doesn't make sense, but when did that ever stop the warmongers from looking for enemies all the time in the name of profit?
edit on 24-11-2013 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

if they take usa to war with china it may be a good idea to surrender to china as it may end up being a fairer regime than the already evil empire

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Japanese has demarcated their air-defence identification zone for quite a long time
and the closest point of the zone only 130Km from China's border, China is just tit for tat.
photocdn.sohu.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

I would have been shocked if the US didn't respond formally.

Now as to what is going on behind the scenes (informally) is anybody's guess. Not sure how important the US deems this to be, but it is not that uncommon for countries to declare things like this. Key question is, is China just posturing or are they willing to back up their threats with actions of some sort.

My guess is that someone will test them - probably soon. Once that happens then we'll know how seriously China feels about this.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Unsympathetic

As I said, the Japanese should be forced to leave their Islands and they should be given to the PRC as repayment for Japanese War Crimes. I am not offering this up for debate.

So from your way of thinking shouldn't Germany do the same?

And yes I am offering this up for debate.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   

tsurfer2000h
reply to post by Unsympathetic

As I said, the Japanese should be forced to leave their Islands and they should be given to the PRC as repayment for Japanese War Crimes. I am not offering this up for debate.

So from your way of thinking shouldn't Germany do the same?

And yes I am offering this up for debate.

It might come as a surprise for you to learn that they did. Or at least half of it. To the USSR.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

(post by Unsympathetic removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I have a question here (if the drama is over with). The OP's source article says China claims to have bought the islands from a private interest.

Does anyone know if one sovereign state, can buy the territory of another sovereign state (ETA: from a private landowner), and change national boundaries in this manner?
edit on 24112013 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarl

I have a question here (if the drama is over with). The OP's source article says China claims to have bought the islands from a private interest.

From what this says it is under Japanese control, but I guess anything could be possible.

The islands are an issue in foreign relations between Japan and the PRC and between Japan and the ROC.[10] Despite the complexity of relations between the PRC and ROC, both governments agree that the islands are part of Taiwan as part of Toucheng Township in Yilan County of their respective divisions. Japan does not officially recognize Taiwan as a sovereign state,[3] and regards the islands as a part of Ishigaki, Okinawa Prefecture and acknowledges neither the claims of the PRC nor ROC to the islands. The Japanese government has not allowed Ishigaki to develop the islands.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   

deadcalm

As far as I'm concerned the Chinese have every right to self defense. The US has been aggresively trying to deny China the raw resources that it requires to function and grow. The difference between the US and China's strategic doctrine...is China's is one of defense and the US is one of "Full Spectrum Dominance".

As far as the relationship between China and Japan....bear in mind the Japanese killed an estimated 20 MILLION Chinese during WW2 in horrific fashion....the Chinese have not forgotten this.

what? I personally know that the US has been selling raw resources to china, so has every other country...china now has built entire cities with no one to live in them because Chinese jobs don't pay the average worker enough money to live in them, that what the Chinese government should be working on. we have a similar problem in America, just not to that degree. the wounds of WW2 go deep, but it was 70+ years ago, time to move on. the horrors of war do not need to be revisited, just to settle a 70 year old vendetta, everyone on all sides suffered....as far as resource availability, china has a vast land mass with a richness of natural resources, trading partners with multiple countries, and a continued growth in the standard of living for it's people, cooler heads need to prevail.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

jimmyx

deadcalm

As far as I'm concerned the Chinese have every right to self defense. The US has been aggresively trying to deny China the raw resources that it requires to function and grow. The difference between the US and China's strategic doctrine...is China's is one of defense and the US is one of "Full Spectrum Dominance".

As far as the relationship between China and Japan....bear in mind the Japanese killed an estimated 20 MILLION Chinese during WW2 in horrific fashion....the Chinese have not forgotten this.

what? I personally know that the US has been selling raw resources to china, so has every other country...china now has built entire cities with no one to live in them because Chinese jobs don't pay the average worker enough money to live in them, that what the Chinese government should be working on. we have a similar problem in America, just not to that degree. the wounds of WW2 go deep, but it was 70+ years ago, time to move on. the horrors of war do not need to be revisited, just to settle a 70 year old vendetta, everyone on all sides suffered....as far as resource availability, china has a vast land mass with a richness of natural resources, trading partners with multiple countries, and a continued growth in the standard of living for it's people, cooler heads need to prevail.

It's not as simple as that. Whereas Germany paid its price through being divided for 50 years, Japan never paid anything. Actually, did you know that pretty much every single Japanese Prime Minister has visited a shrine these horrible people built to the War Criminals responsible for all the suffering in Asia during the war? That does tend to sting a little bit. What makes it worse is knowing they do with with a big grin on their hideous faces from behind the protection of their US Empire masters. I'd love to see the Chinese smash the tiny Japanese down so hard.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Zaphod58
So it's ok for China to claim other people's territory in the name of self defense?

It is actually DISPUTED TERRITORY not only China and Japan claim it, but Taiwan also.
Under international law Japan has no right to claim those islands, hence the Chinese claims.

MysterXWhy not...the Israelis do it ALL the time and the world hardly blinks.
Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Agreed.
At the very least the US Government has no moral right to teach others about international law, since it is itself the worst violator of international law in recent history.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

jimmyx

deadcalm

Ever since mankind has inhabited this rock called Earth we have fought over it repeatedly.
The wars wont end, ever. Its in our nature, it goes to the very core of who we are and our survival instincts.
As long as there is life, there is the constant struggle for survival, at the expense of other life.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join