It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secretary of Defense Hagel: U.S. 'deeply concerned' with China air defense map

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Looks like another escalation over the disputed islands that China and Japan both claim as their own. China released the map through their Xinhua News Agency and through twitter.

Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel said Saturday the United States is “deeply concerned” over China’s move to establish an air defense zone over a string of disputed islands in the East China Sea.

The Associated Press reports that the Chinese Defense Ministry issued a map showing the new East China Sea Air Defense Identification Zone, which encompasses what the Chinese call the Diaoyu islands. The move is seen as an aggressive step against Japan, which bought what it calls the Senkaku islands from private owners in 2012. The islands are uninhabited, but are believed to rest near large underwater oil reserves.

“We view this development as a destabilizing attempt to alter the status quo in the region,” Hagel said in a statement. “This unilateral action increases the risk of misunderstanding and miscalculations.” Hagel also said the United States believes that the Senkaku islands are included as part of Japan in the U.S. Japan Mutual Defense Treaty.

www.politico.com...
[url]http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-23/an-china-air-defence-zone/5112994[/url
edit on 11America/Chicago30pm2013-11-23T20:58:50-06:00201311America/Chicago30 by METACOMET because: links

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

METACOMET
Looks like another escalation over the disputed islands that China and Japan both claim as their own. China released the map through their Xinhua News Agency and through twitter.

Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel said Saturday the United States is “deeply concerned” over China’s move to establish an air defense zone over a string of disputed islands in the East China Sea.

The Associated Press reports that the Chinese Defense Ministry issued a map showing the new East China Sea Air Defense Identification Zone, which encompasses what the Chinese call the Diaoyu islands. The move is seen as an aggressive step against Japan, which bought what it calls the Senkaku islands from private owners in 2012. The islands are uninhabited, but are believed to rest near large underwater oil reserves.

“We view this development as a destabilizing attempt to alter the status quo in the region,” Hagel said in a statement. “This unilateral action increases the risk of misunderstanding and miscalculations.” Hagel also said the United States believes that the Senkaku islands are included as part of Japan in the U.S. Japan Mutual Defense Treaty.

I think its only fair to say that the world has been deeply concerned with the USA's global exploits and defence spending for decades.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

As far as I'm concerned the Chinese have every right to self defense. The US has been aggresively trying to deny China the raw resources that it requires to function and grow. The difference between the US and China's strategic doctrine...is China's is one of defense and the US is one of "Full Spectrum Dominance".

As far as the relationship between China and Japan....bear in mind the Japanese killed an estimated 20 MILLION Chinese during WW2 in horrific fashion....the Chinese have not forgotten this.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by deadcalm

So it's ok for China to claim other people's territory in the name of self defense?

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Zaphod58

" So it's ok for China to claim other people's territory in the name of self defense?
"

Precisely , no it is not . China is playing the " Bully Boy " Role here with Japan and if they just think for a moment , the rest of the World will be Watching and preparing to respond Militarily if need be .

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Militarily they're going to have a hard time pulling this off.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

In what way ? Please elaborate .

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

They'll have to either station ships constantly in the area, or find a way to keep aircraft there 24/7. Ships would be easier, but they're more vulnerable if someone decides to shoot. They don't have a way to keep aircraft in the area all the time, and they know it.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

It would certainly seem so these days. The US illegally and pre-emptively attacked and occupied 2 countries in the name of so called "self defense". Better to get them over there and all that....the US used the deaths of 3000 people to justify what they did...and the majority of Americans supported it. If 3000 people are worth the deaths of over a million people....what then would the US do if another country slaughtered 20 million of their citizens? I'd hazard to guess that they'd steal an island at the very least, but more likely they would wipe the guilty party right off the map. Lets try and bear in mind that this is being done because of the oil reserves in the area....this is all about resources.

I'm not advocating this madness at all....but this seems to be the way things get done these days.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Is Japan in any position to make the decision on how to deal with this independently or will it have to abide by the US decision on how to deal with this? I fear a too weak a response will make China bolder and the US is too far detached from the situation to do what might be necessary to nip this in the bud and avoid a larger more damaging war down the road. Japan should have been allowed to re-arm years ago so they could be in a better position to determine their own destiny than they are today.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I say the Japanese should start arming themselves immediately with US help.They need a credible defense of their own if they have any hope of stopping Chinese land grabs.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Ah, so it's the US' fault, which makes it ok. This has nothing to do with "self defense" in any way whatsoever, and everything to do with stealing resources. China had no interest in these islands until the 1960s when the report came out about them being resource rich. This also has nothing to do with "how things are done now", as this has been going on for 40 years. China is being greedy, and is trying to steal anything they can get their hands on that has resources under it.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Zaphod58

So it's ok for China to claim other people's territory in the name of self defense?

Why not...the Israelis do it ALL the time and the world hardly blinks.

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Zaphod58

Why not? After all, Israel does so without any repercussions and the US just destroys entire countries that it sees as being a possible threat, not necessarily a military one, but a possible financial one at some point.
It's also China's backyard, not the USA's!

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

Creepy...you could almost be looking over my shoulder as i type mate.

(you haven't got your hands on one of those newfangled invisibility suits have you?)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   

MysterX
reply to post by Britguy

Creepy...you could almost be looking over my shoulder as i type mate.

(you haven't got your hands on one of those newfangled invisibility suits have you?)

Both hands on the keyboard please! Didn't your mother tell you you'd go blind?

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Why is there always this talk about who has what right to do what?

This is a ridiculous notion, nations have armies for one purpose only, a game of chess to use force when applicable for a win for that society and it's allies and to defend against others who would do the same to them. There is no other purpose to a military. It is there to kill and take and to destroy those who would kill and take from you. If you have allowed or need a military to exist than that military should be supported to do it's job or you will die... There are 2 stances, War and Peace. Nothing in-between actually exists. If you can not say "put down our arms it's safe" and agree with others to do the same, war is inevitable and you do whatever it takes to win.

This tendency that has developed to critique ourselves and allies for "victory" under said conditions is foolish.

2 choices, peace accord and global disarmament or war... I'd prefer to go with option no 1, but as that is not happening choice 2 is win.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Britguy

Why not? After all, Israel does so without any repercussions and the US just destroys entire countries that it sees as being a possible threat, not necessarily a military one, but a possible financial one at some point.
It's also China's backyard, not the USA's!

what does this have to do with isreal, the U.S or our supposed hypocrisy? china being aggressive and claiming the territorial waters and land of other nations is it's own matter and could lead to a much greater war than iraq or afghanistan ever was. do you expect china to be any better than us or more right in their actions just because they aren't america?
china isn't some benevolent saintly nation that will save or protect you.
will you keep harping on their greatness when japan, taiwan, vietnam, malaysia or the phillipines is invaded by them or they get invaded by them and millions die? because a thing like this will bring us a step closer to a great south pacific war of their own making.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:07 AM
link   
After what the Japanese did to the Chinese in the Second World War, they should be forced to give up their entire country and become a province of the PRC. I would support such a move.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Unsympathetic
After what the Japanese did to the Chinese in the Second World War, they should be forced to give up their entire country and become a province of the PRC. I would support such a move.

What a Moronic statement.

There are how many Japanese alive today that fought in WW2 ?

I was raised Jewish although have no practice in such things, but I happen to have some good friends in Germany, really like the place, excellent job of going "green" cool kind of funky art scene, lots of ravers... what the hell on Earth, did the kids in Germany today ever freakin do to me? They aren't even remotely the personality type of 4 generations ago... No more than I am actually "jewish" in anything beyond HISTORY

Japan is an awesome modern place, that has adapted to keep it's rich traditions well while maintaining peace, these young Japanese are bright, articulate, scientifically minded, incredibly modern in most ways...

98% weren't alive

And the damn truth is German, Japanese... even America today. Sometimes GOVERNMENTS do idiotic things, every nation has or will succumb to it to one degree or another, look at us here right now... when the propaganda starts, when the media is controlled people get duped... you can't even really blame them... and it's not like it's a religion or philosophy that stands in time trying to repeat itself...

It takes a really Iow IQ to blame people that never did squat for things their ancestors did...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join