It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do Local Radio Presenters Think More People Know Them Than Do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I have on occasions met a few people who were hosts on local radio. I have noticed that they expect people to recognise them. I think I am quite typical in thinking that they aren't famous: in fact I would say very few people in their catchment areas know who they are. So why are they so delusional in their thinking: in thinking that somehow local radio is equivelent to being a host on national tv?

Whenever I listen to the radio I turn it over as soon as they start talking. But also they can become quite aggressive even bordering on violent if anyone threatent their view of themselves as famous. I wonder if this is a worldwide phenomenon or just somehting which happens in the uk?

I wonder do they effectively have a personality disorder which means they think of themselves as better known than they are?
edit on 23-11-2013 by intrepid because: Fixed all caps title.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by werewolf99

If I even met a film star lets say, I wouldn't do anything to give them the impression they are special. For god sake they read of a script in front of a camera, lets a lot more harder jobs out there than that done by ordinary joes. As for Radio well unless you like and listen to Radio you would never know who they are.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I was wondering if they technically have a personality disorder. I mean there is body dismorphia disorder where people may think themselves too fat, or in the case of bodybuilders too small, maybe they suffer from fame dismorphia where they think they are famous and arent?

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I agree with post 2. I have met several famous or pseudo famous folks. Pseudo famous example: the guy who played "Wolfman" in Top Gun lives near here, and comes to my business frequently.

Not only do film stars not deserve any special treatment, they often appreciate blending in. A guy I work with has a hislarious story about a time that he was too aggressive trying to engage Johnny Bench, and how Johnny Bench basically treated him like an obnoxious idiot (which is generally true, anyway).

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I suppose if I am correct and a personality disorder exists where people( local radio presenters) think they are better known that they are, then there are probably huge stars who think they are less well known that they are.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Well they got into the business for a reason, they wouldn't make it very far if they just meandered around going "oh its just me, don't mind me, sorry. excuse me. pardon me. sorry. can I just pass through, thanks. sorry about your foot."

They have to have a sort of extroverted personality or they'd never get work.

And you seem to have people in mind, so you realise that they did a good job because you remember them. If they did make it to the national level, youd be saying "I knew that jerk when he was still a nobody on the local radio."

Actors.. well, I agree. They're just people who deserve no accolades when not acting. But being able to put yourself into such a vulnerable situation where you are exposed, bare and open to everyones personal attacks, is pretty hard. Not everyone can do it, and not everyone can do it believably. I have had nightmares where i dream that I am in the public eye, exposed, ME regardless of who I am portraying.

Every little squirrely hair, every little spot.. even in real life without the expectation of performing in public, I flounder. Made me a right piss head as the only way to cope.

I don't think they deserve to have their bums kissed. Not at all. And when they're precious I want to slap them. And if they're pompous arrognant swines, you forget about any acting ability. Hello hollywood.

but I do give credit where credit is due, and when you do see a genuine person in the profession, you can appreciate that it's not all nose candy and strippers..

edit on 23-11-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Well actually the people I tend to notice is when you get local radio stations who have their presenters on outdoor stages that appear places. These things really seem to be there so that people can be convinced they are famous inspite of the fact that they don't know them. It seems that they want to control how they are viewed to give the impression of fame. If you are known by a million people but each one thinks you are just an ordinary guy then they will not think you famous. But if you are known by a thousand but each thinks you are famous then to them you are, inspite of not really being known at all.

The presenters or radiostations have either deliberately or in the case of presenters unwittingly found a way to try to con fame. To work a fiddle to appear famous.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

As a music producer and having been down that road myself in a way.

Its down to ego.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I suppose the problem is even bigger. In the 21st century unless you are a film star or a major music star you just merge into the background. Next time you see an unknown actor in a tv movie put their name into the internet and many times they have done many many films shown in many many countries, have been in hollywood films just not the main star maybe even a few tv serieses. But you were right the first time when you thought they were unknown because there is so much media in the world, not just the internet but everywhere that they simply merge into the vast quantity of stuff. So I suppose the question is are you the star of a hollywood film, or a music star? If the answer is no then they simply merge into the vast mass which is us. Most of those supposed to be famous aren't famous anymore.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

It's no different than "reality tv" stars.

Famous for what... for being known as famous.

But if it works, and the gullible populace swallow it up, they cannot be completely to blame. It takes two to tango.

I don't really consider people in the media famous anyway. I prefer to give those accolades to people who actually change the world for the better. Not some schmuck who makes a name for themselves by making noise.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I do not know how it works out where you good folks are, but here in Essex, England, we have a local radio station, which, back in he day, had two locally famous DJs. They were recognisable to most people in town, because the radio station was right in town centre, and if you got of the train in town, you would see their mugs displayed in the window of the radio station.

But they were both, during their periods where their stardom was in ascendency, also very active in charity circles, turning up at fundraisers, school fetes, fire station open days, not to mention store openings, fireworks displays. To put it bluntly, these fellows were everywhere! My sisters primary school received a visit during their summer fete, from Mr Peter Holmes, and my own high school back in the day, was visited by Mr Martin Day.

Both of these fellows, in their day, were actually the most recognisable people in South East Essex, and Mr Holmes actually came into our shop a few weeks ago, and I still recognise the fellow. Both chaps are actually jolly pleasant gents, from what I recall of them.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I always wondered why being an actor isn't looked down upon...

An actor is nothing but a professional liar. Being something they are not. I know plenty of excellent liars who aren't famous actors. I think way higher of janitors and gas pump man than any actor out there.

Radio personality would rank even lower on that list for me....especially if they think they are special lol. Just tell him he's too ugly for TV that's why he's angry.

top topics

join