It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TELERIDICULOUSVISION

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by OneManArmy

I agree to an extent but the problem is. You either have cable or no cable. We get this packaged deal of crap this is the deception. More=better. This is even the marketing campaign of many companies.

We are being given all this channels in away that makes them seem free or as a bonus, so you have the option to not watch if you don't like something. That is the fundamental misunderstanding. You are still paying for these channels.

Just by having cable you are paying guys like Bill O'Reilly or the ancient alien guys salary whether you ever turn them on or not. It is this mindset of the option that is the plague.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by SasquatchHunter

You've gotta take the packages they offer. If I want NFL Sunday Ticket I may have to get NHL, NBA, NASCAR, etc. Oh well.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Why do you still have cable is the question?

Cable sucks. Why are you even watching Fox News anyway???

The History channel hasn't been good in a decade or more.

Go online for viewing and use streaming, far much more to watch and no commercials.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

SasquatchHunter

I agree to an extent but the problem is. You either have cable or no cable. We get this packaged deal of crap this is the deception. More=better. This is even the marketing campaign of many companies.

We are being given all this channels in away that makes them seem free or as a bonus, so you have the option to not watch if you don't like something. That is the fundamental misunderstanding. You are still paying for these channels.

Just by having cable you are paying guys like Bill O'Reilly or the ancient alien guys salary whether you ever turn them on or not. It is this mindset of the option that is the plague.

The TV industry is ruled by the advertising dollars, thats how they really get paid. Not by your subscription fees.
Prime time advertising during for example a superbowl is hugely expensive.
The price of advertising during specific slots is determined by viewing figures.
Without the viewing figures the revenue spent on advertising is unjustified.
Hence if enough people turned off then the main income will be gone.
You are right about the perceived misconception that more channels equals more choice, but when the stations are filled with reruns and "filler" and sensationalism then there is no choice at all.
The reality of the capitalist world is that money rules everything.
Take away the money, you change the game. Its a simple concept, but its the most powerful.
edit on 201311America/Chicago11pm11pmSat, 23 Nov 2013 19:57:32 -06001113 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

mblahnikluver

Go online for viewing and use streaming, far much more to watch and no commercials.

Exactly, you watch what you want when you want.
You also change the dynamic of entertainment and take control of what you watch.
Then the industry is left playing catch up, at their own expense.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   

I understand how advertising revenue works. The point which Im making which I can see you understand, is that this packaged deal of deceptive options ultimately leads to viewers and were blaming sponsors and channels when the real culprit is the service provider.

Lots of people think they are fighting for transparency in media and their using a strategy that will never work.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   

OneManArmy

mblahnikluver

You also change the dynamic of entertainment and take control of what you watch.

I was one who loved cable but when I started to realize I had the same channel on all day and it was just background noise i got rid of it. I was watching everything online. We have a Roku and use that for viewing. I have tons of channels ALL of my choosing. I use Blockbuster or Amazon to rent movies or I go to the Redbox and rent a movie for $1.25!! What we pay a month for viewing pleasures is about $25 vs the $150 they charged for cable with NOTHING on!

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

SasquatchHunter

I understand how advertising revenue works. The point which Im making which I can see you understand, is that this packaged deal of deceptive options ultimately leads to viewers and were blaming sponsors and channels when the real culprit is the service provider.

Lots of people think they are fighting for transparency in media and their using a strategy that will never work.

If you feel wronged by the service providers then I cannot understand why you give them your money?
Why would they change anything if they keep getting paid?
As long as the money rolls in, they have nothing to lose.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Isittruee

OneManArmy

Isittruee

intrepid
reply to post by Isittruee

Books aren't going anywhere soon. There's a difference between holding a book and holding a device.

Didn't mean anytime too soon. Borders is gone. Barnes and Noble next. Why have all these pesky books when you can have all on one convenient hard drive. Trust me I'd rather the book though.
edit on 23-11-2013 by Isittruee because: typos

Because if and when the power is switched off, we are in trouble.
Our dependence on technology and devices will bite us in the future when it is taken away by lack of electricity.
Think about that prospect for a few minutes.
And what if the hard drive should fail?

Go back and read what I wrote. I said I'd rather a book. Society feels differently...
edit on 23-11-2013 by Isittruee because: (no reason given)

Of course, I wasnt attacking you, just stating an important point with regards to our dependence on devices and technology. And the pondering of if it was suddenly taken away.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   

mblahnikluver

OneManArmy

mblahnikluver

I was one who loved cable but when I started to realize I had the same channel on all day and it was just background noise i got rid of it. I was watching everything online. We have a Roku and use that for viewing. I have tons of channels ALL of my choosing. I use Blockbuster or Amazon to rent movies or I go to the Redbox and rent a movie for $1.25!! What we pay a month for viewing pleasures is about $25 vs the $150 they charged for cable with NOTHING on!

I cannot agree with you more. You at least are in control of what you watch.
And what do you know, it turns out to be the cheaper option, by far, and another bonus, you are not overly bombarded with ads telling you what you need to buy. Its a win win. Why isnt everybody doing it?

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   

mblahnikluver

OneManArmy

mblahnikluver

These are all great options. It still doesn't solve the accountability issues of these mega service providers and media channels. If people drop cable altogether in favor of these options. The mega monopolies will just buy them all out dismantle them and or merge them again.

They already trying to do this and its only a matter of time.

They aren't giving us the option of using our wallets to hold companies accountable.

This doesn't happen in any other industry.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

SasquatchHunter

They aren't giving us the option of using our wallets to hold companies accountable.

This doesn't happen in any other industry.

Yes they are, but you are not using that option. Instead you are making an argument for your lack of desire to use the power of the money you spend and what you spend it on. The ball is in your court, the industry has an agenda. You will not change it unless enough people remove themselves from it.
The only power they have is what you willingly submit to them. You are master of your own destiny. Not anyone else.
If you dont like the game, dont play.
While you still have the god given right to choose what you spend your money on, you really should exercise it, and not externalise the blame for something which you actively choose to do.
Its like blaming a woman for getting pregnant or giving you an std when you refused to wear a condom.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
When cable teevee first came out, it was $15 a month and no advertising. People bought that lie and now look at what it is. I bet 80% of the channels, you never even watch and most of those shows or 'entertainment' or sports would be available otherwise on line if you looked around.

When I'm trapped in somebody's house and it's on now after over 10 years of no teevee, I'm appalled at what depths it's sunk to. The programming and the advertisements are equally disgusting. Most hilarious, and not in a good way, is Fox News with that double banner ...ALERT....ALERT....ALERT running on the bottom.

Ever notice that as the content got less interesting, they upped the size of the screens and the flash rate on the camera switches? It's been designed to make it hard to look away, it's literally been designed to take over your neurological system. It's a science.

Probably a step up from brainwashing, to brain programming. Add in the astonishing amount of violence (count the number of times the word 'murder' or its equivalent is mentioned in the night time program listings) and you wonder why the crime rate is out of hand?

I advocate ALL network executives and writers be subjected to the violence they write into the shows before they're aired. I wonder if all violence was banned on teevee for, say, two years, what the violent crime rate would drop to? Or is fake bread and circuses just a substitute for what the populace would do if they were bored?

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   

SasquatchHunter

ZeroReady

Turn it off.

That's a do nothing cop out! When you buy a hamburger do you have it prepared without onions or do you just not eat hamburgers because that's what they come with? Or do you just buy hamburgers and throw them away if they have onions?

The entire media industry is a monopoly and the biggest monopoly in the pipeline is actually the pipes the service providers! We get a packaged deal of crap whether we want it or not. This is where the change has to be enacted at the purchase of service. We aren't being given that option!

you eat hamburgers AND watch Tv?

Holy smokes guy... you need help!!

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   

SasquatchHunter

intrepid
IMO there is only one use for TV. Broadcasting the NFL. The rest is just crap.

$3,000 TV and $100 a month and mine only gets turned on for Football, and Movies I have to buy.

Man..

I have a $40 usb hdtv dongle and free to air tv.

Maybe this is why I don't rant about the atrocious programming.. and it's pretty much 80% sport here.

Sell your tv. Buy less of it. I dunno, but you shouldn't expect anything less than common denominator garbage on the idiot box, no matter how much you paid to look at it.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Isittruee

Rikku
you just realized tv is stupid?

there's these thing's called book's....

Books are extinct. Theres this thing called a kindle now.

To think ten years ago I didn't believe my dad when he said technology would take over everything. Should've listened...

He always did tell me to save my books because they wouldn't be around for long. Whens the last time you've seen a Borders bookstore?

Never.

Plenty of dymocks and barns and noble and elizabeths second hand bookstores and assorted books in shops.

I even saw a human reading an actual book on the train the other day. She had to turn the pages. Crazy stuff.

I actually bought a book too. I'm so retro.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I only use the TV for three reasons: my consoles, my sports, and a lovely little program that celebrated it's 50th birthday over the weekend. 90 minutes to go...

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   

signalfire
When cable teevee first came out, it was $15 a month and no advertising. People bought that lie and now look at what it is. I bet 80% of the channels, you never even watch and most of those shows or 'entertainment' or sports would be available otherwise on line if you looked around.

When I'm trapped in somebody's house and it's on now after over 10 years of no teevee, I'm appalled at what depths it's sunk to. The programming and the advertisements are equally disgusting. Most hilarious, and not in a good way, is Fox News with that double banner ...ALERT....ALERT....ALERT running on the bottom.

Ever notice that as the content got less interesting, they upped the size of the screens and the flash rate on the camera switches? It's been designed to make it hard to look away, it's literally been designed to take over your neurological system. It's a science

Probably a step up from brainwashing, to brain programming. Add in the astonishing amount of violence (count the number of times the word 'murder' or its equivalent is mentioned in the night time program listings) and you wonder why the crime rate is out of hand?

I advocate ALL network executives and writers be subjected to the violence they write into the shows before they're aired. I wonder if all violence was banned on teevee for, say, two years, what the violent crime rate would drop to? Or is fake bread and circuses just a substitute for what the populace would do if they were bored?

I agree with a lot of what your saying. That being said I still think were blaming the wrong people. This all comes down to the service providers. This is where the change has to occur.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Hast thou defamed thine holy television?

Television brings us the truth because television says it is bringing us the truth so tv cannot lie because it said it is not lying!

Wasn't it "1984" where they didn't have off switches?

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Turning off the TV isn't going change anything, thats just ignoring the problem.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join