It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extremely bad customer service. WWYD?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
My mom and I went to out to eat today. The waiter was really nice while he took our drink orders, and went out of his way to give me a few minutes to look the menu over. Mom ordered a chicken wrap. I ended up getting nauseated while looking at the menu (I have digestion issues), so I just ordered a $7 appetizer that I could nibble on and take home.

For the rest of the meal, our waiter completely ignored us. He passed our table a multitude of times, but he never stopped. Mom needed a drink refill, which I actually had to stop him passing by to ask for. He never brought it; instead, a manager that we flagged down did.

Mom kept an eye on the waiter the whole meal, and for the most part, he was just standing around in the kitchen area. Even though it was a Saturday morning, it was not busy.

I am a gracious tipper. I'd gone in with the thought that I would be leaving $10 tip, because I know that a server's job is difficult, so I like to make sure that I reward their time spent taking care of me. Especially since the holiday season is coming up, and a little extra money around Christmas is always a nice thing.

So, our waiter brings our tickets to the table, and mom and I each pull out a $20 bill. IMMEDIATELY he starts apologizing for "being so busy" that his service was lacking. Just over and over and again, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Blah blah excuses." Lies, really, because he had no idea mom had been keeping her eye on him.

Mom leaves a one dollar bill. I leave a one dollar bill. I felt that was far more of a tip than should have been left...but I'm not going to just stiff the guy completely. I can not conscientiously do that.

So, what would you have done in that scenario? Would you have left a tip, or not? We ended up talking with the manager, but I doubt we ever go back. I complimented the restaurant so much to mom, that I'm almost embarrassed that the service was so shoddy. It's a shame, too. I have always loved this particular restaurant, and this was her very first experience.
edit on 23-11-2013 by zillah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by zillah

Why do you think the waiter avoided you? Is there something you're not telling us?

Are you a regular costumer at that Red Robin?

edit on 23-11-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
A one dollar tip is a fine way to resolve it. You are letting them know you were dissatisfied with service. It used to be a penny, but I guess inflation eh?

In any case, he might not be used to serving the section you were in, maybe he had a bad day, maybe his mom just died. Maybe he is just a crappy waiter. No reason to label him or the company.

You have to go to a place at least a half dozen times during different times of the day do determine whether or not it's a decent place, or has good service.

I've been to all the "it" spots and sometimes their service sucks. Sometimes a diner service sucks. I usually make the judgment over the course. Hell, some chains I've been to constantly ask if you need anything and it gets annoying. Sometimes I have no problems flagging someone down. Them forgetting of course is a strike, but it happens.

Making direct eye contact and perhaps a joke or quip in the beginning helps your server to remember you. Try it.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I went to a Cage aux Sports, a few years ago.

The plate we asked for was a very messy one, nacho and melted cheese, etc.

The waitress brought us only one little napkin each. When she came back, I asked if she could give us a little more. She bursted at me like I had never seen done in a restaurant. She was mean, taking the ones at the table besides us, asking me if that was enough.

No staff member nor managers that were on the floor reacted. And she did yell at me. When the time to give us the bill came, she was all honey with me.

I left her nothing and never got into one of them restaurants after that.

I mean, they are popular, and if it's not me being there, someone else will. So basically, they do not cared about me being there, I figured I didn't have to care being there either...

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by zillah

If that is your idea of poor customer service you should come to the UK.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I disagree with trying to schmooze your server. You are the one with the money which means YOU are the boss that needs to be appeased. I say NO TIP, and here is why: That server may wait 50 more tables like yours that may feel obligated to tip at least $1.....that server made $50 clear that will NOT be reported on any tax form and what did he/she learn? Be a person who doesn't even try to go beyond basic service and you will still get free money. So I say NO TIP. I'd rather go to the cook's window, place my order and pick up my food and silverware than give a slacker a damn dime. Then, tip the cook!
edit on 23-11-2013 by caseman1967 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

olaru12
Why do you think the waiter avoided you? Is there something you're not telling us? Are you a regular costumer at that Red Robin?

Because...he avoided us. There was never a moment where he stopped and even asked how we were doing, let alone provided a drink refill. This is the first time at that particular location.

boncho

Making direct eye contact and perhaps a joke or quip in the beginning helps your server to remember you. Try it.

We did joke around. Everything was great at the beginning. He brought our drink order promptly, and even kidded around about my not being sure about my order after mom placed hers.

It's almost as if, because I ordered "just an appetizer" it wasn't worth his time to wait on us. Like I'd leave a crappy tip because I didn't order a meal. I'm not saying that's the case, it's just the only thing I can think of as to why he never came back.

I live in the deep south, where practically everyone is friendly. As I said, when we sat down he was all kinds of awesome.

I can understand forgetting a drink. It happens. In that case, I flag down my server and ask again. But when a server just...doesn't walk past your table, and seems to be deliberately ignoring you. Well then.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

caseman1967
I disagree with trying to schmooze your server. You are the one with the money which means YOU are the boss that needs to be appeased. I say NO TIP, and here is why: That server may wait 50 more tables like yours that may feel obligated to tip at least $1.....that server made $50 clear that will NOT be reported on any tax form and what did he/she learn? Be a person who doesn't even try to go beyond basic service and you will still get free money. So I say NO TIP. I'd rather go to the cook's window, place my order and pick up my food and silverware than give a slacker a damn dime.

Exactly that.
Tipping is practically dead in the UK. Might explain why our customer service is so poor.
Or is that the other way round?

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by zillah

I wouldve done what yall did.

Let the tip reflect the service, and the end of the day the jack ass has nobody to blame but himself.

Probably half ass their way through life.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

caseman1967
I disagree with trying to schmooze your server. You are the one with the money which means YOU are the boss that needs to be appeased. I say NO TIP, and here is why: That server may wait 50 more tables like yours that may feel obligated to tip at least $1.....that server made $50 clear that will NOT be reported on any tax form and what did he/she learn? Be a person who doesn't even try to go beyond basic service and you will still get free money. So I say NO TIP. I'd rather go to the cook's window, place my order and pick up my food and silverware than give a slacker a damn dime. Then, tip the cook!
edit on 23-11-2013 by caseman1967 because: (no reason given)

Waiters report their tips. Restaurants take out tip share.

50 more tables? Doubtful.

He messed up and he suffers for it, dollar tip.

You ever tipped your chef before, or just barking for the sake?

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Thanks, guys. I've been stressing over this all day, because it's not like me to leave a shoddy tip. So I feel better that we did the appropriate thing.

And, I know it sounds like a spoiled bratty thing to complain about - "wahhh I didn't get a refill!"; it's not my intent. But is ordering a small, less expensive meal over a $14 burger a reason to be "snubbed"? I would have left the larger tip either way, if my server had been more attentive. It's a shame he didn't know that.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
This is a perfect example of where people get confused. Red Robin isn't a 5 star restaurant it doesn't have stars at all its one step above taco bell. When you pay $100 for a steak or something that's when you expect high quality service from start to finish and reserve the right to cause a scene and be visibly displeased. Speaking of Taco Bell people make the same mistake and freak out when their .75 cent taco made by highschool kid making $7/hrdidnt have enough lettuce or something on it.

This doesn't mean you won't get high quality service at some places by some people, but you get what you pay for. People have way too high expectations when it comes to some things.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by zillah

In the restaurant business;

"The customer is always right."

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

SasquatchHunter
This is a perfect example of where people get confused. Red Robin isn't a 5 star restaurant it doesn't have stars at all its one step above taco bell. When you pay $100 for a steak or something that's when you expect high quality service from start to finish and reserve the right to cause a scene and be visibly displeased. Speaking of Taco Bell people make the same mistake and freak out when their .75 cent taco made by highschool kid making $7/hrdidnt have enough lettuce or something on it.

This doesn't mean you won't get high quality service at some places by some people, but you get what you pay for. People have way too high expectations when it comes to some things.

Not really.

I think people just expect folks to do their jobs.(although a lot of people sign up and just try to make it)

I agree with at less costly places its more common to get bad service. That doesn't mean its okay.

With waiters its hit or miss, you get all sort of chrs, some are hardworkers, others are just bare minimum.

They're kinda like strippers. They perk up when they think you are the 'money table'

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

SasquatchHunter

I wasn't expecting "high-quality service". Just something just to acknowledge that, yes, he was our server. We didn't "cause a scene". We asked the hostess if we could speak to the manager on the way out; when we talked to him, it was out of ear-shot of customers and staff. Nowhere in my OP do I believe it reads that my expectations were too high.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Yep I agree with your actions, and I have worked service jobs before....

They get paid by the hour by the employer to do the job, they make money when they do a good job of serving and get a tip on top.

I never have felt guilty of a small tip for crappy service, if they are rude they get nothing and I get freebies from the manager for next time and we start fresh, ya just shouldn't hold grudges.

As far as the cook comments, I did that for some time as well and a compliment to the chef is never ignored, I have had them come out and shake my hand and thank for the deserved compliment.

The service industry is built on the fact we don't need them, can do it our selves and better yet are lazy enough to pay them to do it for us lol.

I got a rise from your OP thx and cheers

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Lysergic

SasquatchHunter

Not really.

I think people just expect folks to do their jobs.(although a lot of people sign up and just try to make it)

I agree with at less costly places its more common to get bad service. That doesn't mean its okay.

With waiters its hit or miss, you get all sort of chrs, some are hardworkers, others are just bare minimum.

They're kinda like strippers. They perk up when they think you are the 'money table'

That's the problem your dictating the servers job based on your expectations and if they are too high the majority of servers aren't going to meet them.
When you pay $100 for a meal your paying for an experience and more money goes to paying people to meet your expectations.
A sever who isn't meeting the atcual job requirements means that someone higher up isn't doing their job. This all come back to price getting what you pay for and having too high expectations.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Treespeaker
The service industry is built on the fact we don't need them, can do it our selves and better yet are lazy enough to pay them to do it for us lol.

Truth.

I mean really, it is.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by zillah

Maybe your waiter thought you looked liked a $1 tipper and it turned they were right. Its kind of odd on a sat morning your server didn't have other customer's.....

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SasquatchHunter

Then he deserves exactly what he got.

Also, where, anywhere above, did I mention he had no other customers? Please point that out.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join