It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Widows Found On Grapes At Supermarkets In Several States

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

We have seen a big increase in black widows over the past 3 years. Pesky little buggers they are. One of the only types we will kill.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I wonder if any of the laborers got bit by the spiders. You'd pretty much be in the ER as the neurotoxin is very painful and can kill you.

edit on 24-11-2013 by Pimpintology because: of vaccines!

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   

NightFlight
Before you smush that black widow, remember that the spider's web was used in optical gun and bomb sights like the Norden bomb sight, developed immediately before WWII and used up until the Vietnam conflict.

Then squish it.

With all due respect....

I have all the admiration in the world for Nature's creations.

But with black widows...I've felt their bite already.

Therefore, squish FIRST, pay respects later.

Rather than letting my widow pay her respects later.
Hope ya understand.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Pimpintology
I wonder if any of the laborers got bit by the spiders. You'd pretty much be in the ER as the neurotoxin is very painful and can kill you.

But not instantly. The localized effects are instant. The systemic effects take several hours (although I can't say that for certain if you get bit hard by a huge black widow).

I went for almost a full 24 hours with only the local pain and a mild fever, before the muscle constriction and nerve inflammation set in. And that lasted for days before it started to get (slowly) better.

What's key, is recognize the symptoms, and get the serum, BEFORE muscle constriction locks down your lungs and stops your heart (worst case) or causes permanent nerve damage.

I was wishing for days that I had taken the serum and gambled with the allergic reaction - personally I thought I had made a possibly fatal mistake by the second day for not doing it!

Black widows are BAD, mmmmmK?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by lakesidepark

I personally witnessed one of my best friends get bit by two black widows at two separate times in the same day!!

He got really sick for a week. No hospital visit...

edit on 25-11-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Are you Cali based by chance Antar??

Where were they hiding out?

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

Pfft, here in Astraylia wee eat da bastards for brekfist.
Nothing gets my day of tooa betta start thana redback bowl of wheetbix.
edit on 25-11-2013 by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

I did do that for a while. Surprisingly I never really found that many creepy crawlies.

ONE time, there was what looked like a small scorpion, like the size of a quarter but he was half dead and quickly smooshed.

In the banana's we often found dead, blackened insects, but that is because banana's are gassed to ripen them, and it pretty much kills anything in or around the banana's.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   

watchitburn

They're just spiders. They aren't going to go out of their way to bite you. Just don't mess with them and you will be fine.

But sometimes you have to teach them who's boss.

About 10 years ago or so, a Black Widow spider died from a Watchitburn bite. No issues since.

A little extra protein? lol

I was bitten by a black widow once back in 2001. I still have a tiny scar on my leg from it.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

maybe they were put there to deter the people who eat the grapes in store then toss the empty stick

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Liquesence

I'm not worried, I buy my grapes fermented.

In a corked bottle.

Take that widows!

you might be aware birds,rodents, lizards and insects make it into the crush….every time….

don't drink the dregs

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Well those are a lot of different stores in different states. Something tells me a California grape shed needs to be fumigated and before someone is seriously hurt by the hitchhikers, I'd hope. I'd often been loading for Indiana or Missouri while the guy next to my truck would be loading for Kansas or Ohio...and so it went. Almost always to distribution centers that then shipped out to countless consumer level stores.

So one bad shed can impact dozens if not hundreds of stores. Ouch..... Nasty little suckers.. I even thought about how the temp in the trailer ought to kill them. Grapes are kept colder than most (Right around freezing) for their Sugar content to keep them from being harmed by it. Still..even freezing is no promise of death!

Here is a bit from Smithsonian.com giving some helpful advice...

Catch [the spider] in an empty pill vial of appropriate size (or a baby-food-size jar), snap the cap on, and put it in the refrigerator freezer overnight. Getting cold is a normal experience of all spiders during winter, so it doesn’t seem cruel to knock them out by lowering their body temperature. The next day, pour enough rubbing alcohol in the container to submerge the frozen spider to insure that it will not recover from being frozen. The now dead spider and alcohol can then be poured into the toilet and flushed away.
Source

Well, I had no idea!

edit on 25-11-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I wish I could find any produce at the store with a black widow in it, I'd fudge with it til it bit me and then i'd be on the lawsuit gravy train! Choo choo! Neeext stop, early retirement!

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Midwest and hanging out everywhere from barns to the gardens, under wood and rocks. Under pots, tarps, garages, even a few in the green house. I am a licensed and certified grower, so luckily our inspector did not see any this year but we sure have. Actually we have seen a huge influx for a few years now. I suspect they are coming in because they are somehow immune to the same GMO type toxins that are killing other beneficial insects. It could be sent in the commercial soils people buy from the big box stores from places like china as well. Bats are declining and other animals that eat them so that may have something to do with it too I dont really know. Interesting, it would suk to take some grapes on the run and reach in to grab one and pop it in your mouth!

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   
So this black widow spider is identical to a 'redback spider' here in Australia - Can someone explain the big fuss? Are they more poisonous over there than here? Because we've grown up with redbacks everywhere, and i've had several friends bit more than once with no ill effect, so I'm thinking the black widow must have more toxic venom in it???

(genuinely asking too btw, if anyone knows please inform me
)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
That won't happen here, we live way out in the boonies here.
www.uppermichiganssource.com... That is if you don't shop at Walmart in Marquette ten miles away

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

reactions vary from mild to pretty awful..here is some info from
www.nlm.nih.gov...

•If the bite is on the upper body, you will usually feel most of the pain in your chest.
•If the bite is on your lower body, you will usually feel most of the pain in the abdomen.
The following symptoms can also occur:

•Anxiety
•Difficulty breathing
•Extremely painful muscle cramps
•Headache
•High blood pressure
•Increased salivation
•Increased sweating
•Light sensitivity
•Muscle weakness
•Nausea and vomiting
•Numbness
•Restlessness
•Seizures (usually seen just before death in children)
Pregnant women may have contractions and go into premature labor.

edit on 25-11-2013 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by vonclod

That seems on par with what we are told about redbacks here, so I guess it's really the young and old that get the sickest like with most things, and adults get off a little easier. Thanks for the link though!

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

np..in north america there are not alot of venemous critters so i guess the widow is notable..and fairly common

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join