It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Widows Found On Grapes At Supermarkets In Several States

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

The appetite-ruining find follows several similar instances of the deadly spiders found on grapes at supermarkets in Michigan, Missouri, Minnesota and Wisconsin, Food Safety News reports.

ATS folks from those states watch your grapes closely!

You don't want to buy any
Grapes of Wrath

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

Creepy critters have been know to hitch rides on our produce for years! Being that I have a fear of spiders, I am damn glad I don't eat grapes!!

You couldn't pay me enough to work in the produce department in a grocery store! I think those that do should get some sort of hazard pay!

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

I appreciate the 'heads up' as I do love to munch on grapes as a healthy snack.

I live in Ohio and those states are too close for comfort.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Well I'm safe as I'm poor...Oh you meant the spiders! Phew! That's a relief because I'm not all that poor.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
lol grapes of wrath

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
mmmm, grapes.........

edit on 23-11-2013 by Sublimecraft because:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

They're just spiders. They aren't going to go out of their way to bite you. Just don't mess with them and you will be fine.

But sometimes you have to teach them who's boss.

About 10 years ago or so, a Black Widow spider died from a Watchitburn bite. No issues since.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I am used to black widows and brown recluse where I live.
They have a bad reputation but don't go after people.
They bite in defense.

Watch where you put your digits and check dark corners before grabbing.
You should always wash produce.
The pesticides are more dangerous than the spiders.

FYI
Pesticide free organic produce will have more insects.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

That’s good to know, but the only black widows I want to see are those ones on those TV crime docs who are killing their husbands; There harmless as long as I only know them from TV.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

watchitburn

They're just spiders. They aren't going to go out of their way to bite you. Just don't mess with them and you will be fine.

But sometimes you have to teach them who's boss.

About 10 years ago or so, a Black Widow spider died from a Watchitburn bite. No issues since.

JUST spiders?

No... just NO.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

When I worked for the evil Wal-World I was stocking canned foods and almost grabbed a black widow, so I told my manager and he fought with me saying that its hourglass was on the wrong side, me knowing very well that I was right, being an insect lover. He came back the next day and I told him I looked it up and i'm right. He only responded with "I know". I wish that I had made a bigger deal of it because he was a mean person and he could have got someone hurt with his ignorance.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Interesting, we buy grapes quite a bit. I'll keep an eye on ours if we get any this time out, but once they get home, they go straight to the fridge. Any spiders are going to be dead by the time the grapes come back out.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
yeah I got bit by one of those nasty critters a few years ago. Got me on the ankle. Sharp stinging pain immediately that subsided after a while, but near the two microscopic puncture wounds, I could see all the blood vessels becoming inflammed in a spider-web pattern from the site.

I was somewhat OK for the next 24 hours until the systemic nervous system effects fully kicked in, then I was out of work for two weeks. Swelled up my leg, went into a fever, and muscle pain all over! I spent a few days being watched to insure the constrictive effects didn't turn severe (luckily it didn't).

Then a couple of months later I had a septic reaction that was part of that same bite.

All that from a small juvenile black widow (not fully as potent as a mature one). If it was mature it could have been a LOT worse. Those critters can lay you out.

There is an anti-venom treatment, but it is made from horse serum, so my doc didn't want to use it on me unless I started having breathing problems. Horse serum itself can cause some severe allergic reactions in some people.

Incidents of black widow bites are only 5% fatal (from some source I looked up at that time). I've dealt with worse. I kept saying that to myself while all my muscles felt like they were being ripped outta my skin.

After I got better, I did so much killing in my garage that I lowered the lifespan of every creature in the neighborhood.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I once saw a large tarantula eggcase on a bunch of bananas in the supermarket. I thought for a second about bringing them home as a science project for the kids (my son would have loved it) but then the thought of hundreds of tiny baby tarantulas in the house gave me pause...

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I'm not worried, I buy my grapes fermented.

In a corked bottle.

Take that widows!

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

signalfire
I once saw a large tarantula eggcase on a bunch of bananas in the supermarket. I thought for a second about bringing them home as a science project for the kids (my son would have loved it) but then the thought of hundreds of tiny baby tarantulas in the house gave me pause...

you were right not keep the eggsac, it could likley be from a brazillian or wandering huntsman spider and they are one of the few that actually are dangerous.
my bud managed the produce dept of a grocerey store and he found a spider in some bannanas so he caught it and gave it to me as i kept tarantulas and was pretty familliar with 8 legged critters. we identified it as a brazillian huntsman. i kept it for awhile, it was pretty aggressive and laid a few eggsacs but it was kinda cool if your into that kinda thing..lol. i didnt think the eggsacs would be viable so rather than litteraly fight the spider to get them out i didnt bother..i generally like to leave my critters alone anyway.
fast forward a month and i get a call at work from my gf telling me i "better get my ass home pronto"(she seemed upset..lol) as one of the sacs hatched with hundreds of tiny spiders and some were getting out, i raced home and arrived to watch her wheeling back and forth in her wheelchair..she was running over some of the little buggers..i burst out laughing as did she, funny but true story
got rid of that spider soon after..lol

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Grapes are getting too expensive nowadays anyway...

At least now I finally get my money's worth, how delicious ^_^

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   

I grow a lot of wine and table grapes. This season my vines provided lots of shelter to black widows! O_O

I'm in Northern California.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Here on the Gulf Coast we have black widows AND brown widows.

They are actually more poisonous than black widows but not as aggressive. They also seem to get bigger as well, seeing as my shed is infested with the darn things. I've tried everything, even Terminex. I think I might need some napalm...

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Before you smush that black widow, remember that the spider's web was used in optical gun and bomb sights like the Norden bomb sight, developed immediately before WWII and used up until the Vietnam conflict.

Then squish it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join