It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jumping back into drawing/painting -- with a twist.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
So this whole start-up thing and maintaining ATS is a pretty stressful combo… I need a release. Lately, I've had the urge to start drawing and painting again. I used to do it a lot, felt confident at it… then life got really busy.

"Back in the day," I pretty much stuck with pastel painting, charcoal/conte crayon, and pen and ink.

Today, my weapon of choice is Photoshop PS6. With all my days in advertising doing web design, I've gotten pretty efficient with it (been using Photoshop since version 2… no layers).

So it's time to combine the two, I finally ordered a Wacom Cintiq 13HD:

Should be in my hands next week.

But in the mean time, I need to see if my hands can still do the motions. So I also got a Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus for my iPad

Thinking that maybe I can use the iPad as a digital sketchbook, transfer the file to Photoshop, and begin painting with the Cintiq.

The nib on the Creative Stylus is pretty fat, apparently there's no way around that. I got Sketchbook Pro for iOS and have been seeing if I can still make marks on paper that end up looking like something.

After lots of false starts, getting used to the unfamiliar software, and cursing, I finally have something worth sharing.

This is a pose of our older pug, sitting in the warm Arizona sun. The original photo was quickly taken on my iPhone, I put that and a better shot of another photo for reference on my screen, and I reasonably happy with it.

As I start playing with the Cintiq, I'll update this thread with what I found, and if the old Overlord still has some art in him.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

That is a very good drawing of a pug.
I have a similar creative passion but mine is music, but I feel pretty much the same regardless of the form that my creativity takes.
Good post, and it shows you are just as human as the rest of us.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

That's beautiful work, S.O. Very impressive -- you have a good eye and serious talent.

I had no idea such things as the pen existed. Perfect for you and other software/computer aficionados.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

WOW - Nice stuff (for an old fella)

You should join the mob in the Avatar Creations thread to show off some of your bling.

Although, I can understand you being intimidated by my avatar being more awesome than yours.

edit on 23-11-2013 by Sublimecraft because:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I got the 12 inches Cintiq last year. I wish I had bought the 21 instead... boohou... lol Still, I would not go back to the time when you had to look at your screen while penciling on a Wacom.

Nice drawing there SO. You are a natural.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Lighting is good and looks like a promising piece. You should pull back on the detail everywhere it looks nice now but its not necessary and may actually be distracting in the end, you will be more likely to finish and move onto the next. Optionally do another reference with the eyes open.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Beautiful! It looks like I could touch it and feel the fur.

My daughter draws constantly and wants one of the tablets. Would you recommend one like this for a beginner?

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
hey thats pretty rad SO, I was actually about to post some new work of mine on here as well I hope to see more work of yours, maybe if you could do a tutorial or something on how and what it is you do and why, I know I would be uber interested in that! Thank you for sharing your work bro!

B-Man

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

been using Photoshop since version 2… no layers

No layers that would be just as efficient like paint..

Whoaw Wacom 13hd thats a newcomer ,I didn't hear that one coming .. I always wanted to buy me a new drawing board you got my antennas raised..

BTW you're talented can you show some of your work here I always like to watch great Art..

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Really beautiful, you not only drew a dog but you managed to convey his dignity, age and pleasure at being in the sun. Very nice.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Wow, very nice!!!!!
Looks like the talent is still there

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

NowanKenubi
I got the 12 inches Cintiq last year. I wish I had bought the 21 instead... boohou... lol Still, I would not go back to the time when you had to look at your screen while penciling on a Wacom.

The price is an issue… plus, I think the ability to lean back with the 13HD on your lap trumps size any day!

I could never get used to the disconnect on regular, even very-good, tablets.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
Would you recommend one like this for a beginner?

The Intuos stylus is a bit of a bummer and really nice at the same time. I think it's as good as a pressure sensitive stylus for iPad will ever get… and then you're trying to paint/draw on an iPad.

The only way it "works" is to make sure you've quite all other applications and turn off WiFi… especially WiFi. Otherwise the noticeable lag between stylus motion and line drawn is a real irritation.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord

Kangaruex4Ewe
Would you recommend one like this for a beginner?

The Intuos stylus is a bit of a bummer and really nice at the same time. I think it's as good as a pressure sensitive stylus for iPad will ever get… and then you're trying to paint/draw on an iPad.

The only way it "works" is to make sure you've quite all other applications and turn off WiFi… especially WiFi. Otherwise the noticeable lag between stylus motion and line drawn is a real irritation.

She is big into drawing anime and people. She asked for a drawing tablet last year and I couldn't find an affordable one or enough information on one to feel comfortable buying it. I had not thought of looking at a stylus alone, so thanks for that. She is 16 so she can deal with the patience issues (lag) better than we can.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Sketchbook Pro on Android/iPad seems to be ideal for character art. I've tried to simulate more painterly output, and it's just not possible.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Wonderful picture, and hard to believe it's from a computer program, I know Im not savvy about those programs, prefer a real pencil or brush. The tablets looks really interesting. But then you have to do all those layers and non intuitive things.....
edit on 24-11-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   

SkepticOverlord
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Sketchbook Pro on Android/iPad seems to be ideal for character art. I've tried to simulate more painterly output, and it's just not possible.

Awesome! Thank you for that. I mean it. It's hard when you have one that age and they ask for stuff for Christmas/Birthday and you aren't savvy enough in it to just run out and get it and by asking... you kind of ruin the surprise.

She has a future in it I believe and not just because she is mine. I want to get her one of those really nice drawing tablets ( a couple of grand some of them) before she goes to college too.

I am going to look into the Sketchbook pro and the stylus for right now though. Thanks again.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Brotherman
hey thats pretty rad SO, I was actually about to post some new work of mine on here as well I hope to see more work of yours,

Here's a scan of a children's book I did back in 1993. It's the story of someone who follows an odd little man with a magic paint brush, who creates a colorful doorway in a dingy alley.
(colored pencil on pastel paper)

And another one of our dogs (Fred, no longer with us).
(Rapidograph pen on bristol)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Those are very awesome, I love rapidiograph pens as well, I used to do alot of drawing with them along time ago. Thank you for sharing those!

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

That's great work. Very impressive.

I have never been good at the visual arts, so I have great respect for those that are creative and gifted in that department. Music was always my specialty.

Anyhow, glad to hear you have returned to your artwork! I just recently started playing guitar again. I played for 15 years in a band, toured and such, then put it down for awhile. It's been refreshing to start using that part of my brain again.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join