It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Same Sex Marriage has been around for thousands of years

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This morning (Sunday) I was doing some background on The Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott.

I wasn't looking for this information that follows but thought ATS would be interested in what I have found.

''From time immemorial, in every culture that's been known, marriage or that kind of solemnised relationship has been between a man and a woman," Mr Abbott said on October 25.

But have marriage, or marriage-like relationships, always followed that rule? The short answer is no.

www.abc.net.au...

The Article goes on to highlight the history of same sex marriages over the centuries, involving various cultures.

Links are highlighted in blue and worth the read, if you have time to spare on a glorious Sunday morning, in my case.

Every country has it's own laws regarding same sex marriage, this thread is merely pointing out that same sex marriage is nothing new.

Do I personally agree with same sex marriage? no, but that's the what I have been brought up to believe.
Do I condemn or ridicule gays, no, but I do distance myself from them, call me narrow minded if you must.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I also avoid homosexuals.

It isn't like I don't know any gay people or that I go out of my way to avoid them, but on balance I disagree with the lifestyle. The people are okay and I don't hate them or anything like that, but the behavior they engage in is just...gross. Live and let live.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
You and your Gross lifestyle Straight people

No T No Shade!

all joking aside though, religion has taken over numerous "things" and i respect anyone's right to believe in anything they want, but it can't be used to control the lives of others

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Metallicus
I also avoid homosexuals.

It isn't like I don't know any gay people or that I go out of my way to avoid them, but on balance I disagree with the lifestyle. The people are okay and I don't hate them or anything like that, but the behavior they engage in is just...gross. Live and let live.

Whatever grossness that goes on between consenting adults is definitely there business, and like all sexual unions nothing to do with anyone else. As long as threats or coercions are not involved. Personally speaking in our day and age sex is way overrated, its a brief excitation of the pleasure centre that leaves people with a sense of entitlement to one another. That seems gross to me. We seem to have forgotten that you don't have to f&^%$ someone to love them.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Great article, thanks for posting..

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

anonentity
Whatever grossness that goes on between consenting adults is definitely there business, and like all sexual unions nothing to do with anyone else.

Then why are we invited, with the kids, to parade with them in the streets, about it, then?

No one will make me think it is good for my kids to see 2 grown up men naked, on the street, one attached with a leash... Because I've seen it during gay parades.

It doesn't bother me that people are gays. It bothers me that we have to give tax money so they can celebrate it in the street.

When are we going to get money to have an hetero parade?

I'd love to walk in the street naked with my wife, one of us attached with a leash... not.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

That argument always gets brought up, why? why do most people always go back to the Pride Parades, if you don't want your kids to see it don't bring them there. how about Women walking around in shorts and dresses that don't cover their body parts?

it always comes down to the Sexual side of it, " i don't mind the gays, as long as they don't kiss in front of me" or " I Don't mind the gays, i just don't want to see them in a parade in shorts". not everything is about Sex unless you make it that way

it's freedom of expression, i always believed that mostly sponsored paid for the Pride Parades anyway, that i could be wrong...

regardless, that really doesn't have much to do with the topic of Same-Sex marriages existing before

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The fact you disagree with gay marriage and distance yourself from gays is, um, interesting.

Thank you for being able to extend yourself beyond your limits to share this info with us. That's pretty impressive
and the article is informative and makes me want to research this further.reply to post by keenasbro

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

keenasbro

Do I condemn or ridicule gays, no, but I do distance myself from them, call me narrow minded if you must.

Its a very honest statement and one I must share, I think its due to environmental conditioning.
I do not dislike gays, although I used to be anti, due to a passion for hip hop and the mental fear of being associated with them as a result. I finally realised freedom of expression is for everyone, including those that dont think/act like I do.
I grew up, I learned and I became less ignorant as a result.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Several things to say about homo sexuals, or people who are broken sexually. My wife watched the penis monologs, and each story was told by a young homo who was taken advantage by an old creep with a mustache. I have myself been hit on by old homosexual men, one of which flashed me. Homos are very bold with their sexually perverse ways.
If you don't treat them poorly, then they think they have a green light.
It is also unfortunate that homos, in their broken nature are encouraged to stay that way. Homosexual impurity is actually protected regardless of what is best for the mental well being of the person. As a human, if you feel guilt, it is because what you are doing is wrong. We have the right to know what is true, and to live life without being confused about human nature.
edit on 23-11-2013 by apydomis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NowanKenubi

If you don't like parades and marches that are done to draw attention to humanity it might be a wise idea to help make it so people don't have to scream to be recognized as humans, the same as you... that just express their humanity differently than you do.

Liberty for all

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by apydomis

Beyond anything, that broad painting of "All Homo's" is false

i could simply say the same about Straight people, do you know me? do you know what i do or how i act? you can't simply claim "all Homo's" because you are told to believe there is something wrong with us

once again a topic containing "Homosexuality" gets derailed by false off-topic statements

lets stay on track, lets discuss the information that was shared originally

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I have nothing against differences, I think it is good. Where did I say I didn't want to see gays kiss?

I think the pride parade money would be better spent on actual education about what differences implies, and that it should be respected by all.

Again, seeing what gays do in their rooms, on the street, is not the way to go.

And many gays agree with that, why? Are they gays anti-gay?...

And telling me I shouldn't bring my kids to pride parade is stupid because gays ASK that we bring the kids...

EDIT: About the same sex marriage through historic times, I am not much surprised by it. In the past, many things that we take for granted about marital or couple life is radically different.
edit on 23-11-2013 by NowanKenubi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I can't see this as being an issue anymore, but here are my honest and opinionated 2 cents. First: do no harm. Neither gays nor lesbians are waging a war against us straights; so can't we live and let live? Second, and here is where I'll get yelled at: Neither gays nor lesbians can have children by mere fact of their choice of partnership with someone of the same sex. Since they can't produce a child together, then why the need (WANT) to have one? I'm really against same sex relationships raising a child, be it two men or women. This is just my opinion and I know will be looked down upon.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

NowanKenubi
I think the pride parade money would be better spent on actual education about what differences implies, and that it should be respected by all.

Where I live, gay pride parades actually make money for most cities and areas. Even the ones that Harold the BDSM captain goes to.

I did look for Harold in the following video, but after an hour I got bored and went back to watching cute cat videos.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

apydomis
Several things to say about homo sexuals, or people who are broken sexually. My wife watched the penis monologs, and each story was told by a young homo who was taken advantage by an old creep with a mustache. I have myself been hit on by old homosexual men, one of which flashed me. Homos are very bold with their sexually perverse ways.
If you don't treat them poorly, then they think they have a green light.
It is also unfortunate that homos, in their broken nature are encouraged to stay that way. Homosexual impurity is actually protected regardless of what is best for the mental well being of the person. As a human, if you feel guilt, it is because what you are doing is wrong. We have the right to know what is true, and to live life without being confused about human nature.
edit on 23-11-2013 by apydomis because: (no reason given)

You are quite right, for many of the gay community there first sexual experience was of this nature. Once the nerve endings to the pleasure centre are established in this way, you might have a problem relating sexually with females. What would be the point in trying to change anyway if it was doing its thing for you. You might feel that your sexual mores have now been established .Then its no wonder that they would tend to create more of this sexual persuasion as they in turn became the older men. Having said that young guys will play around but still end up going for females. But when you think about the increase in gayness in the western world . The economic clout is getting stronger, because they don't have children. It seems to be self perpetuating and thus increasing but I wonder if something else is involved like oestrogen in the water, as a lot of alligators are showing signs of both sexes' i heard somewhere that with the water purification process you couldn't get the hormones that came from the contraceptive pills out of it, and the sperm production in males was falling. If true that would be ironic. its been known for years that having a dominant mother tends to help the offspring to become gay, so in many cases your looking at families with not a lot of male involvement, leaving the mother dominant in a de facto way, which seems to be making the western world more gay. Poor fathers trying to pay the child support being vilified when they cant ,due to the economic times, and then being discarded, with the female breadwinner thinking that a same sex link up would be better for the unit than having a male involved. When its the norm is it dysfunctional?

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I've never had a problem with gay people, nor did I ever understand the prejudice leveled against them even as a young teenager when I started to become sexually aware. Who am I to judge? It may be 'gross' but I can guarantee you that there's loads of straight couples out there who do some pretty nasty stuff in their own privacy - none which I can list here as an example without being banned.

Likewise, I have always supported gay marriage on the sole standpoint of equality. I am proud that my country made it legal several years ago, and I can tell you from living here in Canada that it has not degraded everyone else's sanctity of marriage, or led to people marrying animals, or had Satan dancing down Main Street, or whatever poppycock nonsense the conservatives and religious loons were saying would happen if gays were allowed to marry. None of it came to pass. But new families have been created, and several thousands of people can now enjoy the same civil and legal benefits as their heterosexual counterparts.

It won't destroy society, people. It never has. It will only strengthen it because love - in all it's forms - is more powerful than hate.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by apydomis

There are far more straight men who letch, grope and sexually pester straight females than gay men doing the same with straight men. Seriously, go on any boozy night out and there'll be a bloke tanked up on alcohol thinking he's gods gift to women annoying some poor young girl. I guess all straight males should be held responsible for their behaviour too? No,they're just ar#eh%les, the likes that crosses both sexualities.

Sexuality is such a small part of a persons character. The moment you realise that and allow yourself to acknowledge gay people are so all very different, you'll be less ignorant on the issue.

-----------

Gay marriage should be a right by law for those adults who wish to commit to it.

edit on 23-11-2013 by ProleUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by keenasbro

It honestly doesn't matter if it were a thousand year old tradition, or a new thing started last year.

The government, has NO right to deny consenting adults access to a contract, or institution they created in order to provide financial benefits to a couple.

It's not a moral issue, it's not a religious issue and it's not a social issue. It's a legality issue. It's the fact that the government, cannot discriminate and keep tax paying, legal and consenting adults, out of a government program, based on sexual orientation.

Period.

~tenth

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Church!

*Intended as Slang and not in anyway religious*

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join