It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Is Why Poor People's Bad Decisions Make Perfect Sense

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

During the Great Depression, the was a movie called 'The Grapes of Wrath'.

I suggest watching it... it's still out there...

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

I am saying,no one here needs to feel they have egg on their faces for relating to this woman's story because even though she lied,they did not know it at the time-AND a lot of people really are that poor,or poorer-so many members could relate to being poor.No need to have egg on one's face for that.I thought my meaning was pretty clear,but apparently not.Maybe now you see what I meant,otherwise I can explain again,till you get it,no problem.Its not about this specific woman as much as the fact that there Are many folks who battle like this woman claims to have lived.And no one who replied,relating to this story,needs to feel bad for relating to being poor because they know the difficulties of poverty well.Do you get it now?? Or shall I try again?

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Raxoxane

Yes I get it. The ends justify the means.
She meant well.
Her feelings are at risk.

Any other touchie feely mantra you want to pitch?

She lied. She is a liar. She misrepresented herself. She was not truthful.
Those are the reality of the situation. She should be chastised, she lied.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

macman

She meant well.

She should be more than chastised because she lied. This woman flat used a sympathy ploy to literally swindle people out of their money. She should be arrested for that in my opinion.

Worse than that, all of the points that she made that were valid (and there were many), are completely discredited by this con. Because of this, what she did was not only toeing the legal line, it was careening across the moral line with reckless abandon. Her actions are absolutely unconscionable, and personally, I hope that whatever freelance writing "career" she has is utterly destroyed by her lack of moral fortitude.

posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

No I did Not say the end justifies the means,macman,I am not a liar and I do not condone this woman's behavior,in fact,she should,from her own volition,give any money she made to the Really poor-the very real people who lives as she said she did,in fact.Or she should jolly well be Made to give it to a charity for the homeless,that would seem suitable.What I tried(unsuccessfully) to address is that NavyDoc said:"I see egg on a lot of faces here" and I felt that was aimed at the folks who shared their own experiences of battling,hardship and poverty here.And what I tried to explain,is that I felt it was unnecessary for anyone here who sympathised with her,to feel They have egged faces because She lied+is better off than than a lot of people-and for commiserating with and relating to her circumstances.YOU think I condone her lying,whilst I certainly do not,its effed-up.in fact it is fraud,plain and simple-that should be obvious.BUT no one here who posted comments need to feel they have made fools of themselves,or feel they were gullible.How could they have known she was lying? PLUS they were basically relating to the true story of so so many folks,pity the person who told the story, told a false or over-exaggerated version of her own "poverty".
So basically I felt that member could make members who already made themselves vulnerable here by posting their own hardships,feel foolish by saying "I see egg on a lot of faces"

Gosh,are you really misunderstanding me that chronically,or do you just not Want to understand what I meant? Because I defended members who posted,and may have felt badly about the last sentence of he other member's post,does NOT automatically mean I condone what this woman did,and is ok in any way shape or form.My prime issue was with his jab at everyone who unwittingly sympathised with her Before they knew she lied.Guess what-i read the other thread FIRST-it was what got me to this one in the 1st place.So from that,maybe you can now truly see what I was addressing-his statement which implied that members who posted in sympathy with her(seeing her as a personification of their own battles) now should feel embarrassed themselves.
If you still do not understand,then there's no way to make you understand what I meant.Although certainly not for lack of effort.
edit on 4-12-2013 by Raxoxane because: correction of fact

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   

You know what? You, nor anyone else who identified with this lady did anything wrong. It was good of you to bring this to everyone's attention. Your intentions were sincere, while hers, it would seem, were not. That is on her, not you; and anyone who wants to make fun of people for identifying with her has more than their own share of personal garbage to sort.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Lots of words to basically state you either condone her actions, or you don't.

She lied, she lied about who she was, she lied about the entire situation.
Just like 0bama, she has proven she can't be trusted and her points are now in question.

If she wanted to bring light to the situation, she should have written about it not in some personal manner as if it were her being poor and so on. But, she chose the lie.

She should be berated, and chastised. She deserves it.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
This woman who played on peoples heart strings is a classic example of how we are in the mess we are in today. People are just plain out and out stupid. They base decisions upon emotions rather than rational and critical thought.

Yes, emotions do play a role in all decisions, but they must be minimized.

People voted for 0bama because they were emotionally invested in him or his ideas. Look at how well that is working out.

If anybody with two working brain cells had even given a minimal amount of effort analyzing him, he never would have even made it to the primaries.

Whenever I hear a sob story, I always shut the heart off and use my brain instead. If the brain says the heart should be involved, then I’ll act.

edit on 5-12-2013 by TDawgRex because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

macman

She meant well.

There is another thread on the topic of this particular writer, and the moral questions of misrepresenting oneself in order to bring an issue to the forefront- perhaps your focus would be better suited to that topic? ( www.abovetopsecret.com... )

I accidently tried to discuss the topic of "decision making of the poor populations" in that one, and saw I was off topic!

Can that topic be discussed here, as the OP places it on the table, or should i start another thread?

It seems the two different topics are getting confused and obstructing constructive discussion.

edit on 5-12-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Raxoxane
reply to post by macman

No I did Not say the end justifies the means,macman,I am not a liar and I do not condone this woman's behavior,in fact,she should,from her own volition,give any money she made to the Really poor-the very real people who lives as she said she did,in fact.Or she should jolly well be Made to give it to a charity for the homeless,that would seem suitable.What I tried(unsuccessfully) to address is that NavyDoc said:"I see egg on a lot of faces here" and I felt that was aimed at the folks who shared their own experiences of battling,hardship and poverty here.And what I tried to explain,is that I felt it was unnecessary for anyone here who sympathised with her,to feel They have egged faces because She lied+is better off than than a lot of people-and for commiserating with and relating to her circumstances.YOU think I condone her lying,whilst I certainly do not,its effed-up.in fact it is fraud,plain and simple-that should be obvious.BUT no one here who posted comments need to feel they have made fools of themselves,or feel they were gullible.How could they have known she was lying? PLUS they were basically relating to the true story of so so many folks,pity the person who told the story, told a false or over-exaggerated version of her own "poverty".
So basically I felt that member could make members who already made themselves vulnerable here by posting their own hardships,feel foolish by saying "I see egg on a lot of faces"

Gosh,are you really misunderstanding me that chronically,or do you just not Want to understand what I meant? Because I defended members who posted,and may have felt badly about the last sentence of he other member's post,does NOT automatically mean I condone what this woman did,and is ok in any way shape or form.My prime issue was with his jab at everyone who unwittingly sympathised with her Before they knew she lied.Guess what-i read the other thread FIRST-it was what got me to this one in the 1st place.So from that,maybe you can now truly see what I was addressing-his statement which implied that members who posted in sympathy with her(seeing her as a personification of their own battles) now should feel embarrassed themselves.
If you still do not understand,then there's no way to make you understand what I meant.Although certainly not for lack of effort.
edit on 4-12-2013 by Raxoxane because: correction of fact

People should have egg on their faces for buying her false story. Plain as that. If you want to extrapolate that into your personal problems, that's up to you.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

it's easier to bash poor people. most Americans simply don't want to see them, hear them, or deal with them. besides, saying it's there own fault, mentally let's ourselves off the hook, and we can move on with our own lives without any regrets.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

NavyDoc

People should have egg on their faces for buying her false story. Plain as that. If you want to extrapolate that into your personal problems, that's up to you.

When I read the article she wrote, I was not concerned about her personal story. I did not "buy it" , whether she actually lived those things was irrelevant to me.

I was interested in the issue of influence of context and environment upon individual decision making. In particular, the influence of poverty upon ones mind and choices.

That was her topic- it was meant to be about a social issue, not a particular person.
Is abstraction difficult for some people, or is that just a way of diverting attention from the topic?

Forget the girl- what about the topic she brought up? What about the many that bear witness to the sort of experience described? What does that indicate about us as humans, and about our society???

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

The thread is based on a person lying.

Very simple really.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Wrong again.

The bashing is that of the person that lied. Get your crap straight before you pitch garbage.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

I quote from the OP-

When I was reading this I had to post this because I think many people on this planet feel the same way but can't change anything about it ..Eventually this leads to depressions and many other issues if think about it..

You can see that in this time period the employers have the overhand and driving many employees to madness and despair with lower wages or getting fired ..

The subject, as many members have agreed, is a real phenomenon- in which conditions of poverty and financial struggle lead to decisions that might have different meaning, intent, and reason, than for someone not in that condition.

The author of that particular article is the topic of a different thread, where you will find the moral judgement and discussion about her is pretty much of the same side as you and much bashing pleasure can be found!

Some people would like to get off of personal attacks and judgments and get on with larger ideas and issues.

I am afraid I will have it shut down if I start another thread on this same issue, so I will try again to get it back on topic. If that is not possible, I hope the mods will understand and let us try again in another...?

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Shall I repeat myself????

The article has no value now, as the author is a liar and a fraud.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

macman
reply to post by Bluesma

Shall I repeat myself????

The article has no value now, as the author is a liar and a fraud.

You seem to have trouble understanding. I don't care about the author, nor really, about that article.
I am interested in the topic of that article, and the topic of this thread.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Bluesma

Yes I get that. You are more interested in a story, brought to us via fraud, then the fraud itself.

That is nice.

Here, back on track.
People make bad decisions. They need to face the consequences of said decisions.
It is not the job of the Govt to mop up for anyone.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by 0bserver1

This person has made a lot of bad choices in any given moment in time in her life. Had she thought about it, and weighed her options at the time of decisions, she might have had a better life (to her eyes). I say to her eyes because some people just need to be loved, she seems like she needs to have the American dream. It's sad either way.

posted on Dec, 5 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

macman
reply to post by Bluesma

Yes I get that. You are more interested in a story, brought to us via fraud, then the fraud itself.

That is nice.

Here, back on track.
People make bad decisions. They need to face the consequences of said decisions.
It is not the job of the Govt to mop up for anyone.

Oh my god, you are rude!

NO, I am not interested in a story, I am interested in the subject of "the influence of environment and living conditions upon individual decision making", as I have already stated, in a respectful and simple way.

This particular womans personal life can be discussed in the thread dedicated to that topic.

Many many posters in this thread bore witness to the phenomenon of environment and living conditions influencing their decisions- so it is an issue that can be discussed.

Never mind, I will start a new thread on that topic. This thread has been detoured and you are determined to shut out all further discussion.
edit on 5-12-2013 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join