It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billion years on cold space,on Thanksgiving, Ison core reach 5,000 degrees—Enough to Melt Iron

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
In the article Ison come from far far away, billion years in the cold deep space, now come to our home and get "hot"..

The 3- to 4-mile-diameter chunk of ice and rock has spent more than 4 billion years in the frozen depths of space, and on Thanksgiving, it will get so close to the sun that it will reach 5,000 degrees — hot enough to melt iron, said Seth Jarvis, director of Clark Planetarium.

In fact, it will get so close to the sun that it will be subject to the powerful tidal forces emitted by the star, and the comet’s nucleus could be torn apart.

ISON began brightening significantly late last week, and if that trend continues, it could make for a sight visible with the naked eye in the low east-southeast horizon in the pre-dawn sky and could last through mid-January. If the comet is torn apart, though, a best-case scenario would be a bright flash visible to Earth, and then nothing more.

“It’s rare that we see a sun grazer that’s significant enough in size that it has a good probability it will survive,” Jarvis said. “But that’s the cool stuff, that we’re not sure what’s going to happen.”

Patrick Wiggins, NASA/JPL solar system ambassador to Utah, said he has become more encouraged in the past few days.

“I’m keeping my fingers crossed that with a little bit of luck we’ll have a nice comet to see around the Thanksgiving time frame, but I’m not putting any money on it,” Wiggins said.

Jarvis shares Wiggins’ cautious optimism.

“Astronomy is always a great way to teach humility, and with comets, that’s especially true,” said Jarvis, who remembers with a pang of heartache Comet Kohoutek, which ended up costing him a girlfriend back in 1973. That one astronomers touted as the Comet of the Century, and when it fizzled in the wee hours of a particularly cold December night, a certain girl who was woken up and dragged to the top of East Canyon for nothing never really wanted anything to do with Jarvis again.

Will Ison journey end up in our Sun,? Or..i know so many question..hope some expert see Ison thread on Ats and have a kindness to share their knowledge even secret..

www.mainlinemedianews.com...
edit on 23-11-2013 by cheesy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Hey Cheesy,

Will I be able to cook my Thanksgiving Turkey outside my house this year?

Thanks for the info things seem to be really heating up.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Thank you for all the ISON updates cheesy - not completely sure I'd have the time to stay up to date on it without you taking the time to put these threads together.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I bought my seventy one comet from my parents. It didn't last long on it's traveling around with the son.

I kind of think the same thing will happen with this comet. This is a green comet though, mine was red
It might make a difference.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
other reports i have read say that the ISON Comet surface will reach 2,700 degrees

but i also read recently that ISON is a lot larger than a 3.5 mile ball of ice & rocks---that 18 miles big might be realistic... so it ain't gonna completely dissolve in this first maiden orbit into the inner solar system

the companion comet...ENCKE has been periodic... so in the Encke first pass into the Sun it was probably 18 miles big too ... Encke is now only some 1.500 feet big.....
Encke is a faster returning comet than ISON will be... but in the next 1000 years our present sized ISON will be small like Encke or even Haley

related: theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...-173300[editb y]edit on 23-11-2013 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join