It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Halloween Hall' at Carlsbad Caverns is biggest area discovered in more than 25 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Hello everyone! It has been a while since I have posted anything here, but I tend to visit everyday to keep an eye on the events going on in the world. I would like to share this because I find it fascinating that there are still new discoveries being made about about our wonderful world we live in.

Shawn Thomas found an unexpected treat at the Carlsbad Caverns National Park on Halloween night. It's a treat the cave technician and other park staff will enjoy more than chocolate candy bars for years to come. Thomas, along with another caver, discovered a new cave room inside the Caverns hundreds of feet up from the main area. Dubbed "Halloween Hall," the fresh find marks the biggest discovery for the Caverns in more than 25 years.

It has probably been about 30 years since I have visited Carlsbad Caverns, but I recall going several times as child. I would like to get back there some day to have a look around, and see if it still holds the same awesome captivation that it once did for me as child. I remember being scared, amazed, and excited all at the same time when I first visited.

I think it is interesting and exciting that there are still discoveries being made, and I suppose if one were to endeavor to explore, one would find a whole plethora of amazing things our earth has to offer.

Valerie Gohlke, spokeswoman for the Caverns, said the discovery is a part of an ongoing geological study to re-survey and re-map the area. The discovery also offers a renewed interest in possible explorations, she added. "I think it's really exciting," she said. "It shows that there is potentially more out there to be discovered. It should spark everybody's interests." Thomas said staff members started re-surveying a couple of years ago. While he says the process could be completed within two years, he hopes future explorers keep finding new discoveries. "We decided to go back and do a more thorough look to make more detailed maps and look at all the little corners around the area," he said. "We want to make sure we are not missing anything."

Unfortunately, though, it is off limits to the general public, but perhaps sometime in the future it will open to them.

The new area may generate a lot of excitement, but Cavern fanatics would not be able to enjoy it. Thomas said the climb to the area is too difficult for the average climber. "It's an extremely difficult area to climb," he said. "You need a lot of climbing experience to get up there. It is the type of thing we wouldn't want to develop for guests." Although the new area will not be available for the public, staff members say it's a great opportunity to showcase the Caverns' deep environmental riches. "We have something new to tell our guests," Arrowsmith said. "(Caves are) a never-ending thing," she added. "Basically, the last frontier to discover." Thomas said the room could lead to other undiscovered areas. Both Thomas and Bristol plan to take another look in February, Thomas said.

If you ever find yourself in this part of the world, I suggest taking the time to take a tour of the caverns. I hope I have the chance to go back again.

Source -www.currentargus.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

It's amazing how much we haven't discovered on the earth yet. Hope they find some treasure in there too.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   
If I read the Current-Argus article correctly, the climb to the Spirit World/Halloween Room is up a climbing rope, a LONG way up a climbing rope. It had been in place (carried up by balloons) for a long time, but was recently replaced by a new one. Don't expect to see it any time soon...

What fascinates me is the possibility for more caverns, as yet undiscovered. My wife and I have gone to the cavern dozens of times, and I've developed a sense of the "lay of the land." The caverns are contained within a long ridge on the east side of the Guadalupe Mountains, and you can see the Visitors' Center perched on the edge of that ridge as you drive south to El Paso. The same geological forces acting at that spot also act up and down that ridge, and for that matter, on other ridges in the area. Small caves can be seen in the sides of the ridges as you drive to the cavern from White's City. There is every reason to expect more caves/caverns in the area. I ran this idea past my geologist brother-in-law, and he agreed with me.

join