It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An open letter to the elderly.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Dearest elderly people of the world,

I would like to openly and heatedly discuss something that has been bothering us for a while now. Yes, it involves us more-or-less calling you hypocrites, and also calling you out on a pattern of behaviour we not only find disgusting, but a right affront to everything you supposedly taught us.

I’ll cut straight to it. Use your damn manners!

I personally don’t care what wars you fought in, what depressions you suffered through, or whatever trials you faced ‘in your day.’ This does not automatically grant you the right to be an arrogant pig with no manners and deserving of being handed everything just because you have.

It also gives you no right to go on some tirade about our children and how they are supposedly in your eyes ‘rude little assholes’ that you think take everything and give nothing back. Yes, you are right. There are some that need a good kick up the backside or a good clip around the ears, just the same as not everyone in your age group is not some simpering ball of hate that is mad because people won’t automatically bow to you for what you’ve endured.

You taught us (yes, we were the generation that came after you), to use our manners. I can recall many strikes and harsh words directed by those around us for the lack of manners you display currently. Would you like me to reiterate what you taught us? Listen closely, you may learn something you seem to have forgotten.

When someone gives you help, say thankyou. When someone does something nice for you, say thankyou. Don’t just walk off without saying those two simple words. I have no doubt ‘in your day’ you would have expected no less from us, the legacy you spent so much time beating into us.

You want our respect? Show us some. We don’t function on the same set of rules you were brought up in. If you want us to treat you as equals, show us the same respect. We don’t automatically owe you something for nothing just because you happen to be a generation before us. Acting like an arrogant pig just because you think you are entitled to something you have not earned is not the way, and surely not how you would expect us to act be it toward you.

To the old people of the world, perhaps it is time you remembered these simple truths. You drummed them into us for long enough, and yet seem to seek an exemption from them with your rudeness and arrogance towards us ‘young types.’

You always taught us if you have nothing nice to say, don’t say anything.

So maybe you should just shut up.

Kindest regards,

A middle-aged, disrespectful man.

Author’s note: I am well aware that not all elderly people are like this, before anyone accuses me of being disrespectful or of stereotyping. For every rude person spanning generations, there are equally nice people. This was just something I have noticed particularly among the elderly especially in my town, and needed to rant a little.

edit on 23/11/2013 by 74Templar because: added text

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Dearest elderly people of the world,

I’ll cut straight to it. Use your damn manners!

Wow, and us old coots respond to that type intro so well.

Somebody having a bad day? No worries, you young whipper snappers never know just how good you have it. Always complaining to us about something, oatmeal's too hot, didn't get Nike's, whatever.

I'll put it simply, old people are snarky. They always were, they are now and you will be too. It's the way of the universe. Just like each generation complains about the following generation and especially their kids.

I think it's the 9th law of thermodynamics or something.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Bassago
I'll put it simply, old people are snarky. They always were, they are now and you will be too.

As he rubs salt ever so gently into the wound.

You know ... I was going to put up a thread for the older crew to endow this site with wisdom. I guess I won't now.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I do hope this rant isn't taken too seriously.
I was toying with the idea of putting the author's note at the top, but it wouldn't have made the same point...

I can deal with snarky. I can't deal with a lack of manners, especially from a generation that should know better.

But hey, it's here now, flame away oldies (if you're all not already in bed....
)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   

You know ... I was going to put up a thread for the older crew to endow this site with wisdom.

As long as they say thankyou at the end. Then I'm cool.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:49 AM
link   

First, you are being disrespectful, and you have that right and I understand it, older people can be snarky as hell. You are making the same complaints about older people that my generation made about people their grandparents age and older.

Being a respectful upper-middle-ager, the way I have chosen to look at it is, if those 20, 30, or more years older than me have lived through all of the things they have lived through, they have earned the right to be snarky, and I will still be respectful to them based solely on their advanced years.

Thank you for your opinion, and I hope you understand that I respect you as a person and respect your right to say whatever the hell you want. We may no longer have the right to free speech in Amerika, but we still have it here.

You see, I was also raised to respect my elders and not to expect them to give me respect, I was expected to earn their respect.
edit on 23-11-2013 by gamesmaster63 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:20 AM
link   
o.p. you sound just like your mom and dad,
now you've become just like them.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Old folk are just like all folk; you have your good eggs and bad eggs. the problem is many of them are stuck in the past, too stubborn to try and understand the modern world.

Every now and again my grandmother forwards me something sent to her by email that is clearly a rant. "When we were kids we didn't have video games, we had jobs" or "when we were kids, we didn't have computers, we used our hands(?)" and other drivel talking about respect and such.

My grandfather was in Korea so I turn out every year for the ANZAC ceremony, so I don't need to be told the young people show no respect because I've shown plenty, as have others. And the technology bashing never stops, Just because we play video games instead of dancing or the going drive through (like they did when they were young) doesn't mean our hobbies are any less valid.

I love my grandparents but a part of my thinks they're still stuck in the fifties. But one day we'll pine for the good old days just like them, which doesn't paint a pretty picture for the future.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:59 AM
link   

I have never met more rude old timers than in Cleveland, OH. The stories I could tell. And I am middle aged as well.

But everytime some one becomes a ageist to me, I always like to remind them that they'll be like me someday. BWHAHAHA! Time...you can't stop it.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I am going to peer into the future.

This will be 74Templar's rant in thirty years time.

Bloody kids of today! They sit around connected to the damn internet with that cable plugged into their neck. In my day we played real video games with a mouse and and a keyboard and it took skill. A mouse, no not a rodent, a little thing with a laser in it. No a low power laser, not those monstrous things they have now. A keyboard with buttons on it and the alphabet and numbers!

We didn't talk to the computer, it didn't go to work for us. We had to be awake to use it. Now they just just lay on the couch in this vacant wide eyed stare. Yea, I know they are playing a game, but they look like their about to die.

At least in my day my parents could pull the plug out, but if you do that now you could kill the little buggers. They don't get any exercise except when they play a game and let a program exercise their bodies. That is cheating. I have never seen such a healthy lot of kids, but they are not doing it themselves!

In my day you could talk, you had real sex not this on line crap. Population control is fine but this is just way too far and they think it is utopian! Yea, I don't know what it is like, I am not having a jack in the back of my head!

P

edit on 23/11/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   

In every (age group) you have your polite, happy, rude and grouchy people; from birth to the grave.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Funny this below came in my email from my mother in law just yesterday. I'm 55 and I have a feeling this is just how some things start. For me everyone could use a refresher on "Thank you." I can't count how many times just in traffic when I stop to let someone go ahead of me, and off they go without a thought in their little heads that someone just did a kind gesture towards them. Heaven forbid it would occur to them to give some form of thanks.

I really don't think it is just old people, I really do think it is everybody, or it is pretty even.

Anyhow, here is what I received from the mother in law. Lucky for me, she is one of the jewels of a sweet old lady! I don't know who wrote this so not sure how to give its credit due, but I thank the person who wrote it!

On Being Green
Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment. The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days." The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day. Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we reused for numerous things, most memorable besides household garbage bags, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our schoolbooks. This was to ensure that public property, (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags. But too bad we didn't do the green thing back then. We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throwaway kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana . In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint. But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then

lol I wish I could live long enough to hear what stories this young generation will tell... "We didn't have robots to do it for us back then..." " We actually had to microwave our meals..." Oh the list I can just imagine!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I might be wrong, but I sense a little frustration and anger...or angerstration?

Thank you

Å99

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I once read that generationaly we stand on the shoulders of our parents.

So we spend (roughly) 20 years living with our parents and learning everything they are.

Then we leave home, and have our own experiences.

Which makes us all that they are PLUS all that we are.

So therefore we are always more than the generation before is, because we reach higher in each generation.

It is possible to teach your parents to a certain degree, but some of their understanding is set in stone.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

How do I get on your mom's e-mail list?

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Well, well well, Where are your manners?? I would never call anyone "an
arrogant pig" even when they are one ....

And why should you care about what wars and depressions that the 'older generation'
have gone through? you will sooner than you think be going through your own (LOL)
and there will (in your own words) be no one to care about your experiences.
These experiences may not give me any automatic rights ... but if you took the time
or patience to actually listen you may very well learn something to your
advantage!

EVERYONE has an automatic right (remember human rights) to give an
opinion. And it is my opinion that there are an equal number of "rude little
assholes" (your words not mine) as there are polite well mannered.

Yes everyone IS taught ... but not everyone learns. Some always think they know
better than actual "experience' or the teacher.

My mother died recently aged 95 years old and still living on her own, with help from
most of the family, but mostly from my brother and self. We all did it not for thanks
but for the love, respect and gratitude she had earned and for all the
sacrifices she had made for us - she was always thankful.

I personally am appalled by every generation's lack of manners generally, and
by the lack of the use of those two very small words "THANK YOU" ... but it is not
a generational thing!

I don't want nor need anyone's respect. Respect is earned not a given, and I have
enough self respect not to need yours! and again your lack of manners show in
your repetition of the phrase "acting like an arrogant pig"

To the 'youth' of this world I would say take the time to listen and learn from your
elders and betters (LOL!!) ... No seriously give the elderly of your time if you are wise
you may actually learn something (after all they have been there and done it!!) Even
if you learn nothing ... One day you too will be there, be one of them?

FOR AS YOU SOW SO SHALL YOU REAP ........................

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

iamea
I once read that generationaly we stand on the shoulders of our parents.

So we spend (roughly) 20 years living with our parents and learning everything they are.

Then we leave home, and have our own experiences.

Which makes us all that they are PLUS all that we are.

So therefore we are always more than the generation before is, because we reach higher in each generation.

It is possible to teach your parents to a certain degree, but some of their understanding is set in stone.

I WANT to learn .... For without knowledge one is merely vegetating

It IS possible to teach your parents .... However you will need the
patience your parents had while they were teaching you!! Have you learned patience
yet??

After all among many other things they learned their times tables off by heart
In retail they totted up 'in their heads' and subtracted for change 'in their heads'
No savy electronic tills to do the adding and subtracting for them .... I wonder how
many of you can manage without a calculator??

Everything is done for youth these days, no necessity to remember or even know
anything....Smart phone and google are your best friends. The 'heads' of the elderly
are full of what is held in those electronic items just takes longer to process!! lol.....

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Hi OP and Everyone!
Maybe if younger people didn't treat older people like they are useless, they wouldn't be so snarky?

It's not fun to live in a world that is going faster and faster...in a body that is slowing down. Aches, pains and illness...make it hard to be independent. It's also difficult to realize that you are now dependent on other people to help you with life when you used to be young and dynamic.

Some cultures respect and care for their elders...I live in a society that considers the elderly to be disposable...put 'em in a home...let someone else feed 'em. Kind of a kick in the teeth after working hard, raising a family, etc.

I look after my 87-yr. old mother-in-law who has Altzheimers. She spent her life looking after other people...to me, it's only right that someone be there for her now. She gets more than snarky lol...she gets downright nasty! I don't blame her honestly. Being dependent makes her feel like a burden...I try my best to let her know that she isn't.

They might have been the generation that shoved manners down OUR throats...but they were the parents that were around to make us say 'please' and 'thank you'. Kids these days are more alone while parents are working. Perhaps if granny and grandpa lived with their families instead of nursing homes (or alone in apartments)...both the young and the old would be happier....and more polite? Just a thought.
jacygirl

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
To all you young whipper-snappers. . . .

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by onehuman

Love the "we didn't do green" back then piece. Brilliant! Actually, I think the increasing use of plastics, using cars instead of public transport, and planned obsolescence of appliances and everything else came increased production, which increased air and water and land pollution -- a lot of that started in (when?) the fifties/sixties? Sevenites? I don't know. I just remember appliances lasted "forever" it seemed, as did furniture, clothing, toys, etc.

Not sure when the tied turned.

Not to get us off track, but had to comment.
edit on 23-11-2013 by Galadriel because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-11-2013 by Galadriel because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-11-2013 by Galadriel because: typo

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join