It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Were Adam and Eve the first humans? Studying Genesis 1-2

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   

zillah
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

Right. Adam and Eve were just the only ones worth mentioning, as those unnamed had nothing to do with the official beginning of Jesus' bloodline. I do believe Adam and Eve were the first man and woman with an actual soul, but the more I read different translations of the Bible, the more I feel there were other humans created first. I'm not trying to be rude or dismissive! I really appreciate your response! I mean, I know it's going to take quite a bit of discussion and digging for me to find an answer. And no, it doesn't have to be the answer I "want to hear".

edit to add in:

OccamsRazor04
Genesis 1 is the account of all creation.

Genesis 2 goes back to the creation of Man and expounds upon it. It is not a second and separate creation account.

If this is true, why does Genesis 1 state the animals are made before man, but Genesis 2 states that man is created before animals?
edit on 23-11-2013 by zillah because: (no reason given)

No, Adam and Eve are 100% created first in the Bible. Whether God made additional human beings after them is debatable. Adam and Eve not being first is not debatable, the Bible is very clear.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   

zillah

If this is true, why does Genesis 1 state the animals are made before man, but Genesis 2 states that man is created before animals?

It doesn't. Gen 2 clearly states animals were already created.

Gen 2:19

Now the LORD God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name.

The best translation I have found is NIV. I would stick with that one if I was you. KJV is hard to read and has some serious flaws. I don't know the NLT well though to be honest.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   

zillah
Thanks, AbleEndangered and Bassago! Those are both ideas I will definitely be looking into tomorrow!

www.blueletterbible.org

Has everything you need, multiple translations, and Hebrew/Greek.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

"recently found the path" implies that it's hook line and sinker for the poor OP.

"it's all true and there aint nuthin' you can say to change that. Now tell me more about what I don't know so I can know more about it!!!!"

My entire heart weeps...

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Actually, in the NIV, after Adam was created:

18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”
19 Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name.
20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals. But for Adam no suitable helper was found.
21 So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh.
22 Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.
23 The man said, “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman,’ for she was taken out of man.”
24 That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

Bold emphasis mine.
So, from what I understand, God created animals to make a partner for Adam. But out of all the animals he created, none were suitable. That's what the Bible states, in all versions I've read online.

In Genesis 1, the animals were created before man.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by zillah

No. God HAD formed them already, and brought them to Adam.

Just an FYI, going by your interpretation Adam is still the first person.
edit on 23-11-2013 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Oooooh, okay! I see it now! So he brought all the animals he had made, back on days 4 and 5, Adam named them, but none of them were suitable for him. I GOT THIS! It's worded so weird in verse 2:19.
Thank you!

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by zillah

what's really interesting is why did God put that other tree there? (the tree of knowledge of life and death and good and evil)

everything was set in motion in a grand plan, there is nothing sinister about it... some stuff had happened in heaven while (or before) Eden took place, and Lucifer was cast down because he was rebellious.

God most likely knew Lucifer was going to do what he did... so he jumped the game and created man in his own image... Lucifer was pissed at God tending to us in the garden when we were closer to God than ever we have been since.

God has a plan for you to come hang out...

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by zillah

But this first run of mankind is not Adam and Eve, correct? He creates the human race, to govern over what He created, before creating Adam and Eve, telling mankind to populate the earth.

Father placed many of man here at that time. You are only give one account of man being placed, but, not the others.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

I feel I'm a good person. I feel even better now that I have turned towards God and accepted Jesus as my savior, and I try to live a good life and follow in Jesus' footsteps and strive to be humble and good-hearted. I don't go to church, but I do study the Bible, and for the most part, I am doing it on my lonesome. Mum sits down with me every once in a while when I have questions, but sometimes they go beyond what she knows. I'll probably come here looking for answers because, even with the mockery and snubbing some people on ATS provide, I don't like being talked down to by preachers. Anyway, I am happy on this path, and even happier that no one can take it away from me.
I don't care if people think I'm deluded or stupid for my belief in God. Jesus never said the path would be easy! Only that it would be worth it!

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   

zillah

Oooooh, okay! I see it now! So he brought all the animals he had made, back on days 4 and 5, Adam named them, but none of them were suitable for him. I GOT THIS! It's worded so weird in verse 2:19.
Thank you!

The NIV words it better than most translations. Also, I would really avoid most ATS people, very few of them have a good understanding of the Bible, and many of them have strange beliefs 100% not supported by scripture. Jhill76 is one of them, here is a post where (s)he holds some VERY strange ideas about the nature of God and claims that some entity called Father is a physical being. 100% not supported by the Bible.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   

SisyphusRide
reply to post by zillah

what's really interesting is why did God put that other tree there? (the tree of knowledge of life and death and good and evil)

everything was set in motion in a grand plan, there is nothing sinister about it... some stuff had happened in heaven while (or before) Eden took place, and Lucifer was cast down because he was rebellious.

God most likely knew Lucifer was going to do what he did... so he jumped the game and created man in his own image... Lucifer was pissed at God tending to us in the garden when we were closer to God than ever we have been since.

God has a plan for you to come hang out...

Free Will. If you only allow one option then Free Will isn't free. God had to give us choices. He knew what we would choose for sure, but worse than watching us make the wrong choice would be giving us no choice at all.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   

winofiend
reply to post by Akragon

"recently found the path" implies that it's hook line and sinker for the poor OP.

"it's all true and there aint nuthin' you can say to change that. Now tell me more about what I don't know so I can know more about it!!!!"

My entire heart weeps...
it's obvious... but ya never know when someone will open up

zillah

Thank you!

I've heard that 1000 years = 1 day when you're outside spacetime

edit on 23-11-2013 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   

SisyphusRide

Then you heard wrong. There is no time outside spacetime. That precludes 1000 years or 1 day or any other unit of time from being possible.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
and then the whole Lillian thing...

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04
Free Will. If you only allow one option then Free Will isn't free. God had to give us choices. He knew what we would choose for sure, but worse than watching us make the wrong choice would be giving us no choice at all.

it is by my freewill of choice to love God and his Word, it is more than equal to how interesting the cosmos is to me.

I have been presented with it all... the choices, I am old enough by now.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Jhill76 is one of them, here is a post where (s)he holds some VERY strange ideas about the nature of God and claims that some entity called Father is a physical being. 100% not supported by the Bible.

Context my friend.

I said to man, Father (God) holds no physical form. But, to above (angels, etc.) he holds a physical form, as they can see him.

Matt 18:10

"See that you do not despise one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven.

edit on 23-11-2013 by jhill76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   

AbleEndangered
and then the whole Lillian thing...

Is made up, and even interpreting the Bible in the way that people who believe in Lillian want to interpret it Lillian is impossible and Adam is still the very first human created. A very cursory reading will show that to be true.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:50 AM
link   

OccamsRazor04

SisyphusRide

Then you heard wrong. There is no time outside spacetime. That precludes 1000 years or 1 day or any other unit of time from being possible.

the 5 and a half days in the Apocrypha... I know it's not cannon but I am just reading it ya know.

if it don't meld well it won't change the original message... I've watched quite a few esoteric videos and visited some sites with aliens and all that jazz...

but I'm still with it

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Umm, there was a Chick Goddess involved!!

I think its a secret tho...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join