It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing comet Ison and Encke flyby Toward the Sun seen By STEREO-A's Heliospheric

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by BelieveInEnoch

That image is from STEREO A. This link should help with the perspective issue.

stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...

Is that helpful? I had similar questions before I checked the location of STEREO A.
edit on 23-11-2013 by DenyObfuscation because: throwing "p"s around like they're free

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DenyObfuscation

Yes, some what.

Yes, in that it gives me the view point of the viewer. I can see that from StereoA, Mercury would appear left of earth, but what still does not make sense if the report on ATS (I think from NASA) is that if ISON is as close to the sun as it is going to get and in a month be closest to the earth. In stereoB it is shown going to the sun not away.

edit on 23-11-2013 by BelieveInEnoch because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-11-2013 by BelieveInEnoch because: had stereob, it's stereoA

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

It's a matter of perspective, I believe. Earth isn't inside Mercury's orbit, either.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Any idea about this image?

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

ISON still has a few more days until it is its closest to the sun. If it does not break up, it will go around the sun on november 28th.

edit on 23-11-2013 by Bronagh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

Cheesy, Thank You for The Constant UpDates on Comet Ison! I know I am Not the Only One who Totally Appreciates All the Hard Work, Time and Research You put into Keeping Us ALL Informed!
Ison has Really been One of the Most Interesting Events to come along in a Long Long Time!
So Once Again,Thank You for Bringing All the News, Photos, Videos, and Links Here for Us All to Enjoy, and Learn !!
Keep up all Your Dedicated Efforts !!! You are Truly a Great Asset to This Community !!!
Thanx, Syx.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

Marie Lida, If this Pic is from spaceweathergallery.com... It is one of the Most Puzzeling Photos I have seen Yet of Ison, from that Gallery anyway!
It really makes me wonder What Ison really is !?
I first thought maybe a Mechanical Photo Glitch, but I think not really because the rest of the 'Lights ' in the Sky look ok to me...... Thanx for Putting this up for All of Us to see. Maybe we have some PhotoGraph Techs here who can shed some light on this!?
Later, Syx.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   

stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...

Great animations there to help visualize the situation.

Scroll down to access controls.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DenyObfuscation

yep, got it,
thank you!

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I don't know if anyone has seen this video interpretation of the Stereo A movie that is referenced in the OP, but i think it raises some valid points.

If Encke is closer to Stereo A but appears smaller and Encke is 4.8 km in size how big is ISON if it is further from Stereo A but appears larger? I thought ISON was 3-4 km?
Opinions on this please or clarification on the discrepancy?

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

cheesy

teslarocks
reply to post by cheesy

Cheesy. You are one of the reasons I joined ATS. You always come up with great images and info concerning ISON. Looking forward to Perihelion!

TQ SIR! Lets wait for Perihelion! I still dont see from here Indonesia..but i am sure i will see it soon!
And welcome to Ats sir, have a nice day..

This stunning portrait of Comet ISON was captured by John Nassr on Nov. 15 from his Stardust Observatory in Baguio City in the Philippines. Nassr used a Nikon D7000 digital SLR camera coupled to his custom-built 16-inch f/4.5 Newtonian reflector to record the sungrazing comet’s intricate tail. The image is a combination of five 1-minute-long exposures at ISO 6400.
link

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Funny actually looking it from this 2d perspective...

It's almost like sperm on his way to conception ..

edit on 0b36America/ChicagoSat, 23 Nov 2013 14:05:36 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoSat, 23 Nov 2013 14:05:36 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

Thanks MariaLida for Posting that picture. It is awesome and I just put it on my desktop. Very Cool!!

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

whatnext21
I don't know if anyone has seen this video interpretation of the Stereo A movie that is referenced in the OP, but i think it raises some valid points.

If Encke is closer to Stereo A but appears smaller and Encke is 4.8 km in size how big is ISON if it is further from Stereo A but appears larger? I thought ISON was 3-4 km?
Opinions on this please or clarification on the discrepancy?

It appears nobody saw my post so moving up

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

While you're waiting, I'm not an Astro-anything but I'll offer this. From what I've read, the nucleus of each comet is about three miles in diameter. You don't see that. You see what's "shed" by the comet to form the coma and tail basically.

Encke's been around this block before but this is believed to be Ison's first trip around the Sun. Ison could appear so much larger because it's just "shedding" more.

Expert commentary welcome.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

the youtuber is totally correct, IMO. This comet its much wider than estimates made by Nasa. Nobody says nothing because, there is no arguments against facts.

Ison very far away from ENcke and its bigger in the image of STEREO A.

We will not have wait to long to now the truth...

it looks like a bomb that comet (ison) just say'n

edit: i'm no expert

edit on v2013134America/ChicagoSat, 23 Nov 2013 16:36:11 -06002 by voyger2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

BelieveInEnoch

Great post.
But either something is wrong or I am missing something. From what I have read so far is that ISON is/was the closest it was going to get to the sun, right now or a little bit ago, and Dec. 26 it suppost to be as close to the earth as it is going to get. So how can the picture/video show ISON, earth, sun (left to right, as the pic shows ISON traveling)? I thought ISON was currently going around the sun then heading our way. So, if that was true it should either be: earth, ison, sun or earth, sun, ison, correct?
Help please
edit on 23-11-2013 by BelieveInEnoch because: (no reason given)

The following image explains things:

[url=http://astrobob.areavoices.com/files/2013/04/Ison-orbit-around-sun1.jpg]http://astrobob.areavoices.com/files/2013/04/Ison-orbit-around-sun1.jpg[/ url]

On Nov. 28 Comet ISON will pass only 680,000 above the sun’s surface.
Less than month later, it flys by Earth at a distance of 40 million miles. Credit: NASA

The satellite observing the Sun, is in the same orbital plane as the earth, but on the opposite side of the Sun.
So it sees Earth, Mercury and the two comets.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   

It would be nice if some of the experts both here and in the astronomy community could address this.

If what your post says is true, then obviously ISON is a lot larger than first thought.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Biigs

DenyObfuscation
reply to post by Biigs

this is ISON's very first trip into the inner solar system.

www.nasa.gov...

how can they say that? The very first orbit? from when we started measuring?

i call bull.

Don't buy it either. There's been a great comet coming every 333 years so this fits that description. The last two that we know of today were The Great Comet of 1680 (333 years ago) and another prior to the Black Plague in 1347 there was a known great comet (666 years ago).

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Rezlooper

Biigs

DenyObfuscation
reply to post by Biigs

this is ISON's very first trip into the inner solar system.

www.nasa.gov...

how can they say that? The very first orbit? from when we started measuring?

i call bull.

Don't buy it either. There's been a great comet coming every 333 years so this fits that description. The last two that we know of today were The Great Comet of 1680 (333 years ago) and another prior to the Black Plague in 1347 there was a known great comet (666 years ago).

We'll just ignore the other "great comets" since then and just worry about the 1680 comet for now.

C/1680 V1, also called the Great Comet of 1680, Kirch's Comet, and Newton's Comet, has the distinction of being the first comet discovered by telescope. It was discovered by Gottfried Kirch on 14 November 1680, New Style, and became one of the brightest comets of the 17th century – reputedly visible even in daytime – and was noted for its spectacularly long tail.[4] Passing 0.42 AUs from Earth on 30 November 1680,[5] it sped around an extremely close perihelion of 0.0062 AU (930,000 km; 580,000 mi) on 18 December 1680, reaching its peak brightness on 29 December as it swung outwards.[2][5]It was last observed on 19 March 1681.[1] As of September 2012 the comet was about 253 AU from the Sun.[6]

en.wikipedia.org...

253 AU from the Sun September 2012? That doesn't sound like ISON to me. How about you?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join