It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help Decode Buddhist Mural

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
My man and I recently stopped over for one night in a tiny village called Nieue-Bethesda in the Klein Karoo, Soiuth Africa. The accommodation we stayed in was apparently previously a Buddhist meditation room and it had this mural on the wall...

I know very little about Buddhism, but it is clear that the image is full of symbolism. From a cursory search on the Internet, I gather it is some sort of Garuda holding a Dharmacakra. apart from that, I haven't figured out anything else.

I know there are some very well read people on this site, perhaps even some Buddhists that could shed light on its meaning. Any info is appreciated.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Seen the wheel on the Temple of Konark or the Temple of the Sun.

Wikipedia Konark Sun Temple Reference:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konark_Sun_Temple
en.wikipedia.org...

The Wheel Pic:
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/42/Chariot_wheel_of_Konark_temple.JPG
upload.wikimedia.org...

^Notice the naga

Amazing India: Konark, The Temple of the Sun, by Stephen Knapp
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qARE5IPkXoI
www.youtube.com...

Sun Temple Konark - The wondrous winner from Orissa!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G9DKXn5R-Q
www.youtube.com...

and don't miss the Elora Caves:

The Rock-cut Caves of Ellora and Ajanta, Maharashtra, India (in HD)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4ILp_l10uw
www.youtube.com...

The top blue graphic looks like a Vajra.

Wikipedia Vajra Reference:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajra
en.wikipedia.org...

It all depicts Aliens...

Rainbow propulsion...Total give away!!

Ezekiels Wheel:

Ezekiel 1 KJV

1 Now it came to pass in the thirtieth year, in the fourth month, in the fifth day of the month, as I was among the captives by the river of Chebar, that the heavens were opened, and I saw visions of God.

2 In the fifth day of the month, which was the fifth year of king Jehoiachin's captivity,

3 The word of the Lord came expressly unto Ezekiel the priest, the son of Buzi, in the land of the Chaldeans by the river Chebar; and the hand of the Lord was there upon him.

4 And I looked, and, behold, a whirlwind came out of the north, a great cloud, and a fire infolding itself, and a brightness was about it, and out of the midst thereof as the colour of amber, out of the midst of the fire.

5 Also out of the midst thereof came the likeness of four living creatures. And this was their appearance; they had the likeness of a man.

6 And every one had four faces, and every one had four wings.

7 And their feet were straight feet; and the sole of their feet was like the sole of a calf's foot: and they sparkled like the colour of burnished brass.

8 And they had the hands of a man under their wings on their four sides; and they four had their faces and their wings.

9 Their wings were joined one to another; they turned not when they went; they went every one straight forward.

10 As for the likeness of their faces, they four had the face of a man, and the face of a lion, on the right side: and they four had the face of an ox on the left side; they four also had the face of an eagle.

11 Thus were their faces: and their wings were stretched upward; two wings of every one were joined one to another, and two covered their bodies.

12 And they went every one straight forward: whither the spirit was to go, they went; and they turned not when they went.

13 As for the likeness of the living creatures, their appearance was like burning coals of fire, and like the appearance of lamps: it went up and down among the living creatures; and the fire was bright, and out of the fire went forth lightning.

14 And the living creatures ran and returned as the appearance of a flash of lightning.

15 Now as I beheld the living creatures, behold onewheel upon the earth by the living creatures, with his four faces.

16 The appearance of the wheels and their work was like unto the colour of a beryl: and they four had one likeness: and their appearance and their work was as it were a wheel in the middle of a wheel.

17 When they went, they went upon their four sides: and they turned not when they went.

18 As for their rings, they were so high that they were dreadful; and their rings were full of eyes round about them four.

19 And when the living creatures went, the wheels went by them: and when the living creatures were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up.

20 Whithersoever the spirit was to go, they went, thither was their spirit to go; and the wheels were lifted up over against them: for the spirit of the living creature was in the wheels.

21 When those went, these went; and when those stood, these stood; and when those were lifted up from the earth, the wheels were lifted up over against them: for the spirit of the living creature was in the wheels.

22 And the likeness of the firmament upon the heads of the living creature was as the colour of the terrible crystal, stretched forth over their heads above.

23 And under the firmament were their wings straight, the one toward the other: every one had two, which covered on this side, and every one had two, which covered on that side, their bodies.

24 And when they went, I heard the noise of their wings, like the noise of great waters, as the voice of the Almighty, the voice of speech, as the noise of an host: when they stood, they let down their wings.

25 And there was a voice from the firmament that was over their heads, when they stood, and had let down their wings.

26 And above the firmament that was over their heads was the likeness of a throne, as the appearance of a sapphire stone: and upon the likeness of the throne was the likeness as the appearance of a man above upon it.

27 And I saw as the colour of amber, as the appearance of fire round about within it, from the appearance of his loins even upward, and from the appearance of his loins even downward, I saw as it were the appearance of fire, and it had brightness round about.

28 As the appearance of the bow that is in the cloud in the day of rain, so was the appearance of the brightness round about. This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord. And when I saw it, I fell upon my face, and I heard a voice of one that spake.

edit on 22-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: additions and format

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
There were some 80 thousand teachings of Shakyamuni Buddha, and almost as many differing sects of Buddhism. Each relating to and subscribing to a specific teaching. Some sects embraced a multitude of teachings, others sought enlightenment through singular teachings. The ultimate goal however being enlightenment.

Shinto, Sahdi, tibetin, Nichren Shoshu, are just a few. Each sect relying on Shakyamuni's personal growth at the time of said teaching. Needless to say not all teachings produced the same results. As one's life condition changes so goes one's knowledge.

In reference to your pic it could simply be a mandala of sorts, reflecting a specific teaching, of which I haven't a clue. Given the God like being holding the upside down heart, I would venture a guess at it reflecting one of his earlier teachings. He spoke a great deal about different gods and demons. In retrospect it's more likely a demon.
edit on 22-11-2013 by twohawks because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-11-2013 by twohawks because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Check out Gandhara Buddhism!

Gandhara wikipedia reference.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandhara
en.wikipedia.org...

Why can't it be a good Alien?

He just might look ugly...

Ogres Are Like Onions - Analogies
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bMcXVe8zIs
www.youtube.com...

edit on 22-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: typo and format

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by the siren

The wheel, life repeats itself endlessly, we are born, we die.
The mood of today may be wonderful, the mood of tomorrow may be suicidal.
If you watch the days you will see a pattern emerging.
Every experience in this world is a wheel.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
In the mural, I see an illustration of the totality of Shakyamuni Buddha's teachings.

The green, upside-down heart is a representation of the 'Three Jewels':

1. (Buddha) Seeking refuge with the Buddha

2. (Dharma) Seeking refuge with the teachings of the Buddha

3. (Sangha) Seeking refuge with the community of practicing Buddhist monks

The 8-spoked 'Dharma Wheel' (Dharmacakra) is a representation of the 'Noble Eight-fold Path':

1. Right View

2. Right Intention

3. Right Speech

4. Right Action

5. Right Livelihood

6. Right Effort

7. Right Mindfulness

8. Right Concentration

The four colored sections (Green, Red, Blue, Yellow) of the 'Dharma Wheel' represents one of two principles, or both simultaneously:

'Four Noble Truths':

1. The truth of suffering (dukkha). It exists.

2. The truth of the origin of suffering (dukkha). The causes.

3. The truth of the ending of suffering (dukkha). Suffering can end.

4. The truth of the path leading to the ending of suffering (dukkha). The 8-Fold Path leads to the ending of suffering.

- or, and, also -

'Four Immeasurables'

1. Loving Kindness

2. Compassion

3. Empathetic Joy

4. Equanimity

The 'Dharma Wheel' being between the Sun and Moon represents the 'Middle Way', which has several meanings:

1. Not taking extremes in luxury/indulgences/pleasure or taking extremes in austerity/poverty/suffering. Thus, 'Middle Way'.

2. The reconciliation of opposing and contradictory polar dualities. Unifying the two into the one. 'Middle Way' as in being free from duality.

The rays of the Sun represent 'Awakening', 'Illumination', and 'Enlightenment' of the Spirit/Soul/Consciousness.

In contrast to the "Illuminating Sun", the Moon represents darkness, ignorance, and the unknown. Also in contrast to the "Spiritual Light" of the Sun, the Moon in this case also represents the "Physical World". Thusly, we see a triad-symbol within the Moon which represents the 'Three Marks of Existence':

1. (Anicca) Not Permanent. All things in physical reality change.

2. (Dukkha) Suffering and Dissatisfaction. To live is to suffer.

3. (Anatta) No separate 'Self'. All of existence is interconnected, co-arises together, and co-originates from the same source.

The symbol encompassing the triad-symbol represents 'Samsara', which is the cyclical rebirth between the 6 Realms; 3 Higher Realms and 3 Lower Realms:

1. Gods

2. Demi Gods

3. Humans

4. Animal

5. Ghosts

6. Hell

The bird-like Garuda is holding the 8-Fold Path, 4 Noble Truths, and 3 Jewels, the foundation of the Buddha's teachings. The Garuda is known as a guardian-protector, and is also associated with Vishnu. The quality of Vishnu is that of 'Sustainer'. Thusly, the Garuda of this mural represents the protection and sustaining of the Buddha's teachings.

With the entire scene circumscribed, the meaning is wholeness and completion.

posted on Nov, 27 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Thanks everyone for the information, especially Sahabi for that detailed explanation. Much appreciated!

I don't suppose anyone knows what the writing says? Or at least what language it is in?

new topics

top topics

join