It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Town Bans Smoking in Condos and Apartments That Share Walls

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
If you thought NYC was tough on smoking, check out California. Smoking is now banned in California if you live in a apartment that has 3 or more units that share a wall within another dwelling.

What will they think of next?

ALAN FARNHAM | ABC News – 21 hours ago

The ban applies to owners and renters alike, and it covers condominiums, co-ops, apartments and any multi-family residence containing three or more units.

gma.yahoo.com...

The world we live in.
"Free Will" has pretty much been thrown out the w..indow.
edit on 22-11-2013 by Diabolical because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Diabolical

I vote outright ban on smoking, create a new black market. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeé

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Smoking should be banned inside apartments, only on windows, balconies or outside. If somebody fell asleep while smoking, which is one of the major causes of different house fires (when self-inflicted) , this can kill numerous other innocent people living in the same house simply because some idiot wanted to be "free".

Freedom should not involve setting the lives of others in danger.
edit on 22-11-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
So if I've got this right, if my block of 6 flats (apartments) was located in San Rafael, California it would be against the law to smoke in my own home? As a smoker i feel this is absolutely ludicrous. Glad i live in old blighty

How is this going to be policed? Are they relying on people to 'grass' up their neighbours if they suspect them of smoking? Are they going to provide an outdoor shelter for those smokers to use?

If they tried doing this in the UK there would be uproar, and even if a law was passed it would be flouted the same way the law against smoking in work vehicles is. (This carries a £50 fine, £30 if paid within 15 days.)

King
edit on 22/11/2013 by kingears because: (no reason given)

+25 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

If somebody fell asleep while smoking, which is one of the major causes of different house fires (when self-inflicted) , this can kill numerous other innocent people living in the same house simply because some idiot wanted to be "free".

Why stop at smoking? Cooking in one's home is another major cause of household fires. Do you feel we should ban that too?

See ya,
Milt

+6 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

BenReclused
reply to post by Cabin

If somebody fell asleep while smoking, which is one of the major causes of different house fires (when self-inflicted) , this can kill numerous other innocent people living in the same house simply because some idiot wanted to be "free".

Why stop at smoking? Cooking in one's home is another major cause of household fires. Do you feel we should ban that too?

See ya,
Milt

Don't forget about that Christmas Tree, Jack O'Lanterns, birthday cakes, and your clothes dryer...

edit on 11/22/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Typical Progressive mindset, people can't police themselves so the government needs to do it for them.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

BenReclused
reply to post by Cabin

See ya,
Milt

Don't forget about that Christmas Tree, Jack O'Lanterns, birthday cakes, and using your dryer...

Might as well throw candles, incense sticks, and daisy chaining power strips in there too.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Cabin

Smoking should be banned inside apartments, only on windows, balconies or outside. If somebody fell asleep while smoking, which is one of the major causes of different house fires (when self-inflicted) , this can kill numerous other innocent people living in the same house simply because some idiot wanted to be "free".

Freedom should not involve setting the lives of others in danger.
edit on 22-11-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)
Cooking and electric appliances(especially heaters) should also be banned then as they have been known to cause fires as well! What about furnaces? Couldn't they catch fire? I think that if someone has such a deep seated fear of burning to death then they should move out of the condo and into a tent with no appliances, heating devices, and light source because all have been known to cause fires.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Krazysh0t

Kangaruex4Ewe

BenReclused
reply to post by Cabin

See ya,
Milt

Don't forget about that Christmas Tree, Jack O'Lanterns, birthday cakes, and using your dryer...

Might as well throw candles, incense sticks, and daisy chaining power strips in there too.

While we're at it we can also ban propane, fireplaces, boilers. The list is endless. It brings to mind the saying "This is why we can't have nice things".

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Oh yea, we need to ban children as well.

CHILDREN PLAYING WITH FIRE

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I see no issue here.

When you rent any kind of living quarters, the tenant agrees on certain terms. I've been to a plethora of my friends apartments that are rented, and none of them were allowed to smoke inside. Hell, a lot of them couldn't have pets unless they were service animals.

Renters OWN the property, they set the rules, tenants obey them.

Pretty simple.

Guess what? If someone doesn't agree with the rules, they can move.

This just sounds like people complaining because someone told them they weren't allowed to do something. Sounds pretty childish. Some people need to try being adults, instead of being the entitled brats they have become.

That or they're delusional and paranoid, and think that the government is trying to turn them into livestock. I guess my parents were secret government plants that were hell bent on taking away my freedoms while I lived under their roof. Maybe the people that run those neighborhoods that don't allow people to paint their houses or have their yards a certain way, are government freedom thieves as well? We'll have to keep are eyes on college dormitories as well, those shady RAs are up to some nefarious doings...

Sometimes rules can be a good thing.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Jesus, people! This is why we have smoking / nonsmoking designated apartment complexes. is it that hard.
Why the heck is a non smoker living next to a smoker to begin with...

It is simple... If I hate smoke and I move next to you knowing that you smoke, it is my own fault. And the opposite is true. if you smoke and you move next to me, knowing i don't, because it is your right and you do what you want. Then you are just a jerk not a persecuted minority.

It is called courtesy. If people exercised it the would would be a better place and laws like this would not be necessary.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Yet another revenue-earning law is born.

All these daft laws are put in place for one reason, and that is to legally extort cash from you. Just think of all that extra lovely cash generated from fines.

And anyway, if you live alone in your own home and light a fag up but there's no-one there to see you, who's gonna call the cops on you? The invisible man?

Good luck trying to enforce this law is all I can say.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by kingears

Yes it would be illegal for you to smoke in a rented domicile which you DO NOT OWN, and whose effects directly affect your neighbors and their health.

Don't like it? Buy a single-family dwelling that would actually be yours (really the banks, but legally yours).

@doobydoll, you actually think this is going to generate revenue? It's going to cost more to enforce than the fines afford. But it will save countless dollars on emergency services and Obamacare.
edit on 22-11-2013 by DerbyGawker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I live in Orland park Illinois, southwest suburb in crook county , basically southwest suburb of Chicago, this is how it is in the apartment building I live in.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Diabolical
If you thought NYC was tough on smoking, check out California. Smoking is now banned in California if you live in a apartment that has 3 or more units that share a wall within another dwelling.

What will they think of next?

ALAN FARNHAM | ABC News – 21 hours ago

The ban applies to owners and renters alike, and it covers condominiums, co-ops, apartments and any multi-family residence containing three or more units.

gma.yahoo.com...

The world we live in.
"Free Will" has pretty much been thrown out the w..indow.
edit on 22-11-2013 by Diabolical because: (no reason given)

I agree with you, Diabolical!

But you haven't seen the 1/2 of it...When I lived in Cali a couple of years back, many communities were trying to ban smoking OUTSIDE your own house that you either fully own or are paying a mortgage on...

The thinking was the smoke might float over to your neighbors' properties/yards -- disturbing them...

As if those vehicle emissions are harmless!?

Nanny state should not dictate outdoor issues ... Leave it up to neighbors to arrange times, locations, etc. if smoke is such a problem outdoors. And even that is stretching it way too far. *rolls eyes over gment stretch of powers*

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

I guess they could use dogs to search the area, but I'm betting most will be called in by the person next door.

With all the laws in CA banning smoking is their any place left that people can smoke? I bet that list is getting really small.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I don't like perfumes. Maybe I'm allergic.

NO MORE STNK-PRETTY FOR ANYONE!!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by kingears

I can understand if you're a smoker this seems like a significant impingement of your personal 'rights'. But if you have the capacity, imagine it from the other side. Many of us non-smokers find the stench associated with smoke highly objectionable. Those of us that have lived in apartments adjoining those of smokers have been subjected to the 'rights' of those smokers. The relatively small spaces concentrate the smoke which continually seeps into our living spaces through utility/plumbing races, HVAC duct spaces, etc. What about our rights? Frankly, you could shove anything you want into your body and I could care less right up until the time it begins to directly affect my space. I know as a butt-sucker you can't truly appreciate this because you love the smoke. Can't get enough. But we don't all share in that love affair. I can recall numerous occasions of eating dinner, watching TV, etc. and then a wave of fresh stink begins to fill my apartment. And I'm not talking about one apartment.

I had a girlfriend that lived in the same apartment/condo complex as I at one point. It was a nice 'community'. There was a 'gentleman' in her building that had 3 separate smoking-caused fires from passing out while smoking over the course of 2-1/2 years. Each drove residents outside in the middle of the night and resulted in even more smoke-damage. There was nothing to prevent this guy from continuing in his thoroughly selfish and inconsiderate behavior because it was his 'right'.

Just another perspective...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join