It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Incredible `Time Machine` - link to the 1600s!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Excellent thread, thanks OP. This really brings home a great deal of thought I have devoted to understanding the passage of time, and how relative it is to the individual, and to what is going on in their lives. If you live an exciting life, does time seem to pass slower, because you are squeezing all you can out of it? Does it seem to pass faster if you are a recluse or just plain lazy? I think so...

In the physical, a few thousand years is nothing compared to what the world has seen in that time frame. But just look at the difference in life style over just 50 years..... It boggles the mind how different life would be in any of those past generations, and makes most of us think.. Wow, I could have been born in any of those times, but how lucky I am to be living now... But in retrospect, most people throughout this time frame , must have had those same feelings themselves.

What is it going to be like in the next 50? I hope it does not come to pass that some will feel jilted by not having lived at an earlier time! It is up to all of us to ensure that this world is at least as good for our children, as what we have now. I know I am not speaking for everyone, but as a whole, I have confidence in an ever increasing better world for all.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I think in concepts like this all the time. My great grandmother (now deceased) was able to tell me as a kid of life before indoor plumbing, refrigerators, electricity, or automobiles. My grandparents could tell me of first hand experiences from WW1 and WW2. My parents can tell me of duck and cover, no cable tv, no answering machines, and the Cold War. It makes me wonder what people will say about my generation. Life before internet? Life before cell phones? Driving without GPS? It seems like irrelevant tripe in comparison. On the other hand, I do distinctly remember life in the US prior to 9/11. Standing in airport terminals and waving to family members from the window as they sat on a plane, grade schools with no lockdown procedures, being able to send an email or instant message without assuming it was being recorded, a world where the police man was your friend and a hero... maybe those are the memories I'll be able to pass on.

Anyways, the one that really struck a cord for me was when Obama was elected in 2008, there was a big story about an old black woman who was excited to vote for him. The story was just part of the Obamamania hype but it always resonated with me. This was a woman whose grandparents were born slaves, and whose parents lived in the reconstruction era south. Growing up she knew former slaves, she saw the removal of racist policies first hand, and it eventually culminated with her being able to help elect a black president. I imagine that must have been quite the feeling for her.

It takes me back to my great grandmother. A woman who was born when horse and carriage were the main method of travel, before Edison's light bulb, before flight. She saw two world wars, the entire progression to the moon landing, electricity, laptop computers, cell phones, video games, and the list goes on. It wasn't that long ago that the world was a very different place.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

The "time machine" concept is the main reason I usually carry an archaic American Indian artifact in my pocket. Either a stone knife or arrowhead (I change it out every once in awhile, I've got a pretty good but not exceptional collection), to realize that I'm carrying and looking at a craftsman's toolwork/artwork from 8,000 or so years ago, and that the artist who picked the particular stone (many of them have rich colours and veins) and worked it to its fine edges was right there, thousands of years ago, handling the same stone that I'm now holding. Not a bad reminder of the length of time and how it's relative to our personal concept of time.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   

RedShirt73
reply to post by mlifeoutthere

In another fifty years or so you'll be meeting people who could remember the world before the internet, lol.

You don't have to wait fifty years
Some of us remember a world with just three TV channels, no video games or even Sudoku!

Trips down to the park, getting lost in real-world mazes (goo.gl...), playing crazy golf in twilight hours, cub scouts, swimming lessons, Swingball (or Tetherball), horse riding, camping, reading Enid Blyton, sci-fi books, TV show annuals. Going to the theater to see a Lots of board games (Ludo, Cluedo, Backgammon, Chess, Checkers, 3D Tic-Tac-Toe).

Then watching Why Don't You? Magpie, Tomorrow's World, The HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy, Dr. Who, Battlestar Galactica, The Tomorrow People, Carry On series, CandleShoe movie, James Bond movies, Superman, The Avengers, The Prisoner. Carl Sagan's Cosmos, The Goodies, Monty Python, Patrick Moore's The Sky at Night, Butterflies, Rising Damp, Noel Edmonds Swap Shop. And that was just the 70's.

Carl Sagan's Cosmos was a TV show that practically the whole country watched. I couldn't list all the others. You'd have to go to TV-Ark to see the titles:

www.tv-ark.org.uk...

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:00 AM
link   
S&F
Great post and a good read.
Gives one something to think about...

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Very interesting post!

Indeed when you put those things into perspective, it is amazing how close it actually is!
edit on 23-11-2013 by truthiswithin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
do any of yiu have contact with your families? or talked to an elderly person? sone knrw people who fought the the civil war and flu pandemic

this thread makes me sad on many levels

bur glad some of u are opening your eyes

feels go to put things in perspective ,doesnt it

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

chr0naut

I am always fascinated by how 'compacted' events and personalities seem when you begin to study history.

Perhaps you (or someone else) could produce a timeline chart to show how historic lives overlapped?

One thing that people do not consider is how the longevity of documents can affect our understanding of history.

For instance, the scrolls of the Jewish people were made of fine leather and were usually handled with instruments rather than touched with human hands. This gave a useable length of life of around 800 years per scroll before they were discarded. So, from Moses time (1271 BCE according to Rabbinical calculation) to the Dead Sea Scrolls (the scroll ages average to 363 BCE) only requires one copy from the original and, to today, only four copies from the original scrolls would be required!

This leaves little time for reinterpretation and modifications to the text (an oft quoted fallacy on ATS).

let's not forget that there have been many ancient schrolls found all around the middle east...and let's not forget that the Chinese had gunpowder, printing presses, and forged steel, more than a thousand years before jesus ever showed up

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SPYvsSPY

I believe 70 years is standard for a generation. It is regarded as a number of completion or fulness. That would make 1000 years in only 14 generations.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Another_Nut
do any of yiu have contact with your families? or talked to an elderly person? sone knrw people who fought the the civil war and flu pandemic

this thread makes me sad on many levels

bur glad some of u are opening your eyes

feels go to put things in perspective ,doesnt it

I usually ask older people to relate some of their life experiences - who they met, what parts of history did they witness or play a part in, etc. You'd be surprised how many of them beam and open up about the most extraordinary things. I've never done it, but would suggest going to a nursing home and asking residents at random those questions, and I bet you'd soon have a crowd of people around you all discussing their memorable moments.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   

GOOD POST !!

Speaking of AGE!!

What Really Would blow Peoples Minds Whats ( Claimed ) to BE !! Before The Deluge In The Bible (Hebrew Christianity Muslim Etc Abraham's 3 branches of Religion Ironically Abraham's Father is a Sumerian !!) and the Sumerians also Speak of Longevity like The Bible Does ! in the The Antediluvian World

Longevity myths
en.wikipedia.org...

Where he IS Something to Think About !!

When you Here Claims of Alantians Spreading to South America Egypt CHINA!!! Right places of the Pyramids

Look Where the Oldest People are Located! ???

Longevity claims
en.wikipedia.org...

Seeing the Sumerians and Hebrews Are Saying Practically the Same thing about Human AGE of Longevity
Say 1000...Years Down Sized to 120 years

Sumerian King List
en.wikipedia.org...

Human longevity
creationwiki.org...

"Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years." ... The LORD saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time. The LORD was grieved that he had made man on the earth, and his heart was filled with pain. So the LORD said, "I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth—men and animals, and creatures that move along the ground, and birds of the air—for I am grieved that I have made them." - Genesis 6:3-7

Well 120 years!! Ironically Oldest AGE Claimed on Record is 122 years ... Jeanne Calment

Just Imagine what Methuselah has Seen !! And Noah and Sons has Seen

Scientifically Aging Cause by ??? The Wear of Telomere!!! maybe..

any ways its all conjuncture till proven right... the line between myth and fact ....

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

mlifeoutthere

thebtheb

Then you think of dinosaurs, who ruled THE FRIGGING EARTH FOR 150 MILLION YEARS! Now THAT figure is truly out of this world. It's hard to conceive of a million years, let alone 150, some estimates are 180 MILLION YEARS of dinosaurs!
edit on 22-11-2013 by thebtheb because: (no reason given)

The dinosaur thing is insane to think about, because if not for `metorite/ flood/ aliens (take your pick) as to why they are now gone, these dinosaurs would still be roaming around, and i doubt humanity would have ever evolved physically.

Also, dinosaurs were around for many many many millions of times longer than the modern human has been around, its just insane to comprehend. So many missing links

They were washed & burned Out !! in the Terra forming Process... LOL For US!! Humans...

pretty much like this ???????

Then Again! US Because We Were Wicked and Down size 900 years of longevity after the Deluge ???

edit on 23-11-2013 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
this is a great thread. i love to think about time.
i am about to be 36. recently had a life changing industrial accident and i have more past than future.

things stick out to me too. i remember no internet. no video games. no dvd. no cell phones. actually going out to play. my daughter is 14 months old and i wonder every day what she is going to see in her lifetime as far as advancements and events.
you all ever think about it from this perspective?
it was only a short time ago, in 1945 that the first atomic weapon was detonated. a short two years later atomic weapons were being dropped on humans.
since then there have been a couple thousand nuclear bombs detonated. a couple thousand in like 70ish years?
that bothers me.

anyone alive before the days of mustard gas? sarin gas? hiv?
hasnt been that long

i love thinking about the past and timelines but then i start to think about the future and as much as i am excited to see what we as a species come up with, it scares me equally.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Great thread loved the photo. I remember the old stories from my grandma, she was born in 1904 and lived to be 96.

I love talking to old timers. I worked in a liquor store owned by an 85 yr. old woman and her 75 yr. old boyfriend, that cradle robber. He was in the navy/fought in the south pacific during WWII. I loved hearing his stories. I organized all his old photos into an album on his computer, every one told an amazing story.

One day the old guy's WWII buddy came in, the two of them were telling one hair raising story after another when this even older guy comes in with a cane. He was late 90's and says to me "these youngsters don't know the half of it!" They bowed to his age/experience. He grabbed a gallon of rot gut whiskey and was on his way.

It was funny to see two guys I thought of as "old" getting trumped by someone older. The two of them looked like kids being taken to task by an elder.

edit on 11-23-2013 by Morningglory because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
good thread! this kind of stuff has always interested me. i always think about stuff such as motorcycles for example, how just thirty years ago they where archaic and today run by computers. or that my Grandfather was around to see the ford model T when it was new to what we have today.

or some old timer telling me a story about how he used to ride his motorcycle across the open land and up into the mountains and on the way back he would stop at the only house around and the nice lady that lived there would give him orange juice. this is the area i live now and its solid houses suburbs full on town. and that was only 50-60 years ago.

makes you wonder how newer things like computers or cell phones will be in 50 years. kinda scary.
edit on 23-11-2013 by madmark because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by RedShirt73

Me,f'rinstance?

Edit/

I read somewhere that YOUR smartphone....yes-yours,has more computing power than everything that existed 40 years ago...all of it...added together.
edit on 23-11-2013 by Ericthedoubter because: to add:I read...

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Nice thread, nice OP very very misleading title!

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

wmd_2008

Nice thread, nice OP very very misleading title!

this is the second time you have posted that..
and no.. the `time machine ` part is CLEARLY in quotes (as if to say virtual)...

if my title had stated `omfg i have a time machine`.. then that would be misleading

please try not to find faults

NewAgeMan

This brings to my mind an idea that I wanted to make a thread on at one time but didn't get around to it.

This Internet Medium, ATS, is like a word palace in cyberspace.

Is there any plan in place for an ATS legacy and "time machine", which, no matter what happens to the owners of the site, and God willing you'll live very long and prosperous lives, will be protected and preserved, in perpetuity. A legacy stewardship in other words, of this creation, at this time in time and space and history, here now late November, 2013, or whenever it could be instituted, from then on.

It would be very very cool if the things we've been writing and talking about in here, might be combed through and read 100 years from now, and even two or three hundred years hence or 500. It would given future generations a great laugh maybe?! ..

It would be easy enough to do, if you were really serious about it, and the storage mediums are now available to make this possible, on those small disks... saw something about this, how you can take a snapshot of info and store it for 100's of years.

Now wouldn't that be a super-cool project?

It would also change the whole perspective and framework of our own place in history, both looking back, and forward.

Just a thought that has occurred to me - for a future resurrection of an ATS time machine... eh?

edit on 23-11-2013 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

I find it so hard to comprehend though that this current generation of people, or say the last 100 years (or even 20 years in terms of computers), are apparently smarter than any other generation of people who ever lived.. and thats why we only now have cars/ planes/ computers etc

there is no way in hell that in the past, humanity had these kind of things.. what happened.. who knows...

imagine if one day we found traces from a million years ago, of a human civilisation on earth who had everything we had....
that would be insane..
edit on 23-11-2013 by mlifeoutthere because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-11-2013 by mlifeoutthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Awesome Sauce!!!

Great post, thanks very much. It sure does make you think.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

arpgme

If Jesus died during Pilate's rule during the pass-over and 2 hr dark sky, on the 9th hour that would be 3PM April 3rd, 33AD

So, it's only 1980 years ago .

In 1720 it would have been 1687 years ago.

Cool to think about

1720 Just when the western Great Pirate Era was coming to an end and our storybook heroes were being hanged in the gallows in port cities from Boston to Jamaica to mark the end of a seaborne rebellion.
edit on 23-11-2013 by BlubberyConspiracy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join