It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women & Secret Societies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I found this interesting website doing a search on women and secret socieities. I was directed to an old discussion on women and masonry. That was interesting because that is part of my question. The problem is no one in that group brought up the fact (as far as i can tell--please correct me if i am wrong) that there is no branch of masonry specifically geared toward women. The man who founded the Eastern Star intended that to be the female version of masonry but many "male" masons objected to that. I think there is a real fear... that's another conversation but... I am interested in learning if there is an organization similar to Masonry that women can join.. I was going to look at Sorrorital that someone mentioned in an old thread but i wondered if anyone else knows of anything. Also does anyone have any tips for how to petition the Eastern Star seeing as you are supposed to be in some way affiliated with a Master Mason to join ie. wife, mother, sister, daughter.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Co-Masonry and Female Masonry exist, but these organizations are not recognized by mainstream Freemasonry. Here are a few websites:

www.co-masonry.org...

www.droit-humain.org...

www.iss-ic-memphis-misraim.com...

You can petition the Eastern Star directly at your local Chapter, or email the Grand Secretary at their official website:

www.easternstar.org...

[edit on 17-11-2004 by Masonic Light]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Usually to join the Order of the Eastern Star you need to have a male family member who is a Master Mason. I think even a Grandfather will do...

As far as the "afraid" thing,... No we are not "afraid" of women joining the Fraternity. Women simply do not belong in an organization meant to improve men. Men act and react differently in the presence of women. It is a distraction. Additionally, since the object of Masonry is to help improve men, it's lessons would be lost on women. Women and men are different in many ways, beyond the physical.

I would assume the same is true of women. I would assume that women in a co-ed organization would behave differently than they would when within their same sex. Men could no more benefit from lessons designed to help women be better than women could benefit from lessons designed to make men better.

Beyond the Eastern Star, there is, according to "That 70's Show," the Hot Chicks Club,...

["That 70's Show" reference is a reference to male paranoia... your "fear" issue]

But seriously, there is supposedly an organization called something like the Stitchers or Thread Bearers or the like (something related to needle and thread). It's not as old, and I believe only located in the Norweigen area, but it something else to look into.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by JaseP
Women simply do not belong in an organization meant to improve men.

Well done, someone finally with the balls to come right out and say it. You're wrong of course, men have a wonderful ability to improve men, and men have certainly improved my life and me. You are entitled to your all boys clubs, but that is all they are in reality, when you exclude something that is fundamentally a part of yourself from yourself. Same with all girls clubs. I'm not au fait with symbology, but I have a tattoo of a yin/yang on my left shoulder blade and I know what that means.

No disrespect, each to their own, but I'm just glad to hear someone finally come out with the proper answer to the question.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I have to say, the idea of female masons make the whole initiation rite seem much more interesting. The part where the trouser leg is rolled up remains so-so, but the exposure of the left(?) nipple... more interesting!

In all seriousness, what are the initiation rites of female masons, because as I recall - the ´normal´masonic initiations are centered largely around ´proving´ your masculinity?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
It is my understanding that the esoteric principals of freemasonry are based on a kabbalistic way of thinking and improving yourself. This is a journey of balance & growth.

Kabbalah teaches that woman and man need each other to become spiritually complete. And that both are equal before God. Indeed, God is neither male or female and has aspects of both sexes.

So, it' very un-kabbalistic, to say "Women simply do not belong in an organisation meant to improve men".

Feemasonry is certainly much less moralistic than it makes out to be.

"Freemasonry asks that each of its members shows tolerance and respect for the opinions of others and behave with kindness and understanding to his fellow man." (but not woman though!).

Seems a bit two-faced really.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
women are women and men are men, we can not do the same things ! Because, we (women ) have a brain

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   
"Men act and react differently in the presence of women. It is a distraction"

Maybe you should be a Muslim. What a naive view to hold. If you are spiritually disciplined nothing should be a distraction. 93.

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nammu

It is my understanding that the esoteric principals of freemasonry are based on a kabbalistic way of thinking and improving yourself. This is a journey of balance & growth.

Kabbalah teaches that woman and man need each other to become spiritually complete. And that both are equal before God. Indeed, God is neither male or female and has aspects of both sexes.

So, it' very un-kabbalistic, to say "Women simply do not belong in an organisation meant to improve men".

On the contrary it is VERY kabbalistic to say women do not belong in an organisation meant to make better men......teaching women to be better men makes no sense....it makes complete sense that they would be taught to be better women...as men and women do complete each other, and just as men need to be better men for their women, women need to be better women for their men.

Men and Women are equal in value....but no man can be a mother, and no woman can be a father...we are different and we are designed in ways that make us physically and psychologically different.

i do beleive a more female oriented system then the Eastern star SHOULD exist.....and perhaps it will. However if it was truly to be an equal counter part for women...it would have different lessons, a different ritual system, and different symbolism. Simply having them copy masonry, is like making women shop in the men's department to prove their "equal".....busts and hips be damned!

[edit on 25/7/2008 by ForkandSpoon]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
That is a very interesting point. I agree that Men complete women just as women complete men...that's the way it is. What point I really caught onto was the fact that Masons have existed for quite a long time and yes they don't allow women in that's all fine and dandy but there still as far as I can tell is no organization around for women at the same degree of Masons. I understand that the ritual should be different because Men and Women are different and that makes perfect sense but why doesn't a group exist...come on we can't be the only people in the USA that think there should be a group that is at equal standing as the Masons and actually fits together like Yin & Yang with the Masons. I have actually been researching this and haven't found a group that is anything like we've been describing here which just baffles me. I would like to be a part of a group like that. The historical value of these type of organizations is amazing but besides that it's someplace you can say you belong it's your niche in life. If anyone does find a group like this please let me know...contact info: *EDIT*

mod edit: personal information removed

[edit on 19-9-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The answer is IT SHOULD Exist. And Unfortunately as much as I love our sisters in the Eastern Star, i think it is more for couples, and many of it's rules and ideals come from a pre feminist period....women need a masonic type group that is truly run by women, for women, and about making women better women in God's plan for us.

I think that if such a group was started now by wives and even current Eastern Star women.....it would become very popular, and would be recognised as an affiliate in due time.

I do not fear strong women, and I chose my wife largely becuse i loved her independence, her sharp intellect, and personal achievment, her high unyielding moral values and virtue, (and she was pretty hot in lace too!)

We need an organization that builds stronger women. In an age where women are as likely to be elected to political office, or head a company as men, it is that much more important they have a masonic body that is truly theirs. I think the important lessons of masonry must be available to any community leaders. Deus Familia et Patria!

I bet Sarah Palin could come up with some good ideas....

top topics

join