It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing..Crickets Audio Recording Slowed Down. Natures Majestic Choir

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   
In my time I have been a sound engineer by profession for a good many years. When you work with something day in and day out you get a feel for it. You understand how it works. And I can tell you straight off that this recording is NOT what we are being told it is. The crickets in the foreground cannot be slowed down to produce the "choir like" sound we are also hearing. It is not possible. The differences in pitch are not great so the reduction in tempo would also have to be fairly small. So how does it change from the high-pitch rasp of a cricket sound to that lush ghostly washy sound? Simple... it doesn't.

If you understand the sound of a cricket you know that what you are hearing is many, many "beats" or really "scrapes" at a very high frequency. If you reduce the tempo a lot that becomes apparent. You actually begin to hear the oscillations. It doesn't suddenly become a choir! Not from time-stretch techniques, no way!

Now lets be clear: this does SOUND beautiful. It is haunting and wonderful. The feeling of the idea that this might be the way crickets sound to each other or that this is God's chorus at a different speed is a beautiful feeling. I'd LOVE this to be true. But wanting it to be true doesn't make it true.

So here is where the rubber hits the road... are YOUR beliefs based on what you want to be true or based upon what is actually true.

If the former then good for you. But you are probably going to find yourself regularly getting very angry at people for pointing out inconsistencies in your beliefs set. And since I have no interest in arguing with you I'll just leave you to it.

If the latter then this is very easy to check for yourself. Download a cricket sound recording from the 'net. There are many places with free samples that you can download. A little search and you will find. Download a free audio production suite. I use professional ones so I can't really offer you direct suggestions. But you are looking for software that will "time stretch" or "pitch adjust". Then tinker. Slow the audio down any amount you like. Slow it while changing the pitch, slow it while retaining the pitch. Do whatever the hell you like... but I assure you, you will not get anything like this choir-like sound.

EDIT TO ADD: if you google "free audio production software time stretch" you'll find LOADS of options.

So in conclusion: Is it possible that the artist in question isolated specific audio components and put them through effects processors that caused them to reverb in a particular way? Yes, absolutely. He COULD have built that choir-like sound with audio wizardry. That is most certainly possible. But that is NOT what he says he did.

Sorry. Simply not true.

But you can believe it if you want to.
edit on 25/11/2013 by Bootifool because: added detail

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Bootifool

Very good post. Can you, or one of your associates, run one or a few experiments on the sounds of chirping crickets to ascertain to a certainty that this is not the sound they make, and maybe play for us the sound you discover. Thanks for your putting the HOAX label on this recording, if what you say is true, yet it would be interesting to hear from someone else who actually tried the process with cricket sounds.

edit on 25-11-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-11-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Hi Aleister

Perhaps I should have been more clear: I WAS a sound engineer for many years. I have since moved on to other things.

I do still, however, have some of the gear just for my own enjoyment. So, yeah sure, I'll be happy to do the exercise. It will take a little time to do though. And then I'll have to figure out how to upload an audio clip to ATS (can that even be done) as I am new here.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Okay so I've done a little audio processing. Took a cricket soundscape that is reasonably similar to the one in question and slowed it right down in steps from 200% stretch (its stretched twice as long so it's half the speed, if that makes sense) to eventually a 6553600% stretch!

And there are some interesting properties that come into play as the background hiss turns audible. But still... nothing at all like a choir!

I'd love to share it with you but I don't know how to do this. ATS only permits image uploads not audio uploads. And I don't particularly want to use personal file-sharing venues for ATS.

Suggestions anyone?

EDIT TO ADD: I have uploaded it to wikiupload. You can download the processed audio here: www.wikiupload.com...

It's an mp3 of a minute in duration made up of a few segrments interspereced with silence to demarcate them.

1. The first segment is the raw cricket sound

2: tempo: 200% pitch 100% (twice as slow same pitch this is the only time I retained the pitch). It still sounds quite cricket-ish

3: tempo 200% pitch 200%: Also sounds like crickets.

4: tempo and pitch 1600%: Interesting, you start to have higher-pitch elements that normally can't be heared being brought down into audible range. The ambient "hiss" of the night becomes audible.

5: t&p 6400%: that ambient hiss is now the main feature as the "cricket" sounds are now really just a low rumble. The hiss now sounds like a train braking. Sort of a steely screech.

6: t&p 12800%: the steely screech drops down to an almost bell-like tone. Interesting, no?

7: t&p 25600%: I left quite a long segment as this is the most "musically interesting". There is almost a washy sound going on here. But remember this is the background hiss that is now audible. And it certainly isn't a pretty choir!

8: t&p 1638400%: Amazingly at this reduction in tempo it sound quite similar to the previous

9: t&p 6553600%: And finally we fall off the audible spectrum. At this tempo there is still actually a LOT of sound going on. We're at as much as -6dB. Which is plenty (the loudest sounds are 0dB this might be confusing to you if you don't understand audio engineering). So this is where the journey ends. Nothing more to hear folks.

Was it interesting? Perhaps. Did it reveal any magical music? Not so much.

And that's "wot i got". :-)

edit on 25/11/2013 by Bootifool because: added loads of info

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Bootifool
reply to post by Aleister

Hi Aleister

Perhaps I should have been more clear: I WAS a sound engineer for many years. I have since moved on to other things.

I do still, however, have some of the gear just for my own enjoyment. So, yeah sure, I'll be happy to do the exercise. It will take a little time to do though. And then I'll have to figure out how to upload an audio clip to ATS (can that even be done) as I am new here.

Thanks for the test, and on one hand its too bad it's not the heavenly choir of our insect friends, on the other you are denying ignorance, which I hear is popular around here. I couldn't listen to your workup on my machine, and maybe someone will upload it here. Thanks again!

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Thurisaz
I can hear the crickets but the additional sounds are definitely not crickets...so they must have put a choir behind it?!

No. Both are the crickets. One track has them as you hear them. The other track, that sounds like a choir, is the crickets chirps slowed down for our ears. NIce, isn't it?? I hope it's real.

edit on 11/25/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Ok so I think there is a bit of an issue with logic. Let's start from the basic. If this is slowed down naturally, then if we speed it up, we should surely here the crickets.
The track sped up sounds like this:
soundcloud.com...

Now if you listen to it, there is some weird glitchy sounds. LIke "warping and phasing"
If you listen to natural crickets in an environment, they have a constant chirp, it does not generally change tone.
Funny how this dude is called Jim Wilson and this other dude Robert WIlson claimed this is the same:
soundcloud.com...

Source is from here, where Tom Waits talks about Robert Wilson's slowed down crickets. muckrack.com...

Wether it's real or not, Jim Wilson isn't the first.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by flukefox

Yeah, it's not really crickets, but don't try to argue that point around here.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

I see you and I have hit the same wall. :-)

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Yes, but thanks for backing us up with the engineering. Pretty much what I was expecting to hear. I'm not a sound engineer, though I have done some recording over the years. I had a small studio for a while (only 4-track).

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Thanks Bootiful~I have the original tape and listened to it decades ago. It was one of my treasured beliefs but it's no sacred cows these days.

I also kept an article till it fell apart that someone slowed down the sounds of rats and they sounded like children playing on a playground. Tried to track that down a few years ago...maybe I can now as the rabbit hole deepens~

Much appreciation~
edit on 25-11-2013 by arosebyanyothername because: spelling

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I have to wonder whether or not this is authentic, but regardless, it is so beautiful.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sapien82

If this is real then all you need to do is record crickets and do it yourself there are lots of free audio editing software online so the affect should be easily reproduced
and no copyright infringement unless you plan to pay royalties to those crickets !

It's not as simple as that, hence the rumors of a hoax. Some examples are: You would have to adjust it from a crickets life span to a humans as Wilson has done. He also slowed the pitch several times. etc.etc.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
If you have a person posting the percentages they slowed the sound clip down at and telling you what they heard, why would this still continue on - or is it just one of those things you have to hear for yourself? Either way I guess I'm the only one on here that thinks it sounds creepy as hell - like something out of a haunted house, not a church choir...

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Hauntingly beautiful. I will never feel the same way about a cricket again. How amazing.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   
That sounds like I imagine Angels in heaven. Beautiful.

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   

I dabble a bit myself making mp3 music and I can say this is completely possible to be crickets slowed down. A cricket makes a very repetitive sound all night. Take a fraction of that repetitive sound then slow it right down and that is the choir of angels, which just repeats for the entire (night) life time of cricket. The normal speed is just the repetitive sound of the normal speed. The two tracks are not in time sync!. What the slowed down track brings forward is whats contained in a fraction of that repetitive chirp you hear them make at night. If the world could be slowed down to our ears it may humble us to the little creatures we hold our heads above in arrogance to.
edit on 26-11-2013 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   

IkNOwSTuff
Anyone on here tech savvy enough to replicate what these people did?
Seems like it would give a definitive answer either way.

Real or hoax the music was nice but damn I hope its the Crickets lol

I can, and I might. The comments on the YT video claim some people have tried and failed. I can slow it down as much as I want, change pitch, overlay, etc. If I do, I'll report back!

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Here's an interesting Huff Post article on it with a comparison recording someone made, worth a listen.
HUFF POST

posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Unfortunately, this might explain it - probably does.
CRICKET EXPLANATIO

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join