It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scary A380 crosswind landing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 06:39 AM
link   
From the Avaitionist:

In such conditions, depending on the type of aircraft, pilots may be required to apply a Wind Correction Angle (WCA) and “crab” the plane aligning nose and tail with the wind direction to counter the drifting effect of side winds. Usually crabbed approaches are safe, unless gusts are particularly strong. As in the following video. Reportedly filmed at Narita airport, Tokyo, on Mar. 13, 2013, the footage shows a scary approach by a Thai Airbus 380 under a max crosswind of 27.4 m/s. The heavy liner almost touches the ground with the right wingtip before coming to a safe halt.

theaviationist.com...

Another good video of the landing

Talk about a brown shorts ride. Cross winds gusts were over 61 mph. I think I would have been more than a little nervous looking out the port side to see the runway coming at me sideways and then feeling a jet the size of the A380 bounce off the runway before settling down.

I wonder if the A380 is more susceptible to cross wind drift because of the tall cross section of the fuselage.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Reason #8,314 why I don't fly. Geez! That made my stomach hurt just watching it. I caught myself holding my breath during the landing and I wasn't even on the plane.

They are lucky the pilot knew what he was doing.... or they are lucky that the pilot got lucky. Either way.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Yikes...I bet there's a bunch of people trying to figure out how to fulfill a promise made to whatever higher power the ascribe to.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Fly into ONT on a 737 or similar.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Just because we CAN build something that big doesn't mean we should. While spectacular that was dangerous as hell.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

suz62
Just because we CAN build something that big doesn't mean we should. While spectacular that was dangerous as hell.

Aww come on, he handled it like a boss if I do say so myself. Nothing like watching a jetliner air drift, then land and do some more skids

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Fairly normal a combination of crab and sideslip landing.
Nothing scary there

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
These types of landings happen all the time. Not really dangerous, that is just how its done.
Firepiston

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Angelic Resurrection

He kicked it over a little too early though.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Experienced a near identical landing in a Cessna 182 last year. It's just a matter of scale

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by waynos

I still remember the first time I watched this:

About crapped my pants when he didn't straighten out.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Does the rear landing gear on a B-52 rotate? If not, he had to have no tires left on that thing dragging them sideways like that.

The Japanese will turn it into a new sport.....airplane drifting.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Sammamishman

They all do. Makes a great turning radius on the ground when you're trying to park them too.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Seeing it going sideways ON THE GROUND! Wow, that is something else. Thanks zap.(would put a thumbs up here but all the new emoticons look wrong)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

waynos
Experienced a near identical landing in a Cessna 182 last year. It's just a matter of scale

All planes regardless of their size will experience identical drifts at touchdown
in crosswind landings

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by waynos

My father almost caused two heart attacks one day while setting up for an Open House with a B-52. It was one of the last to arrive, so they were going to stop it on the taxiway and tow it into position, since there were aircraft all around it.

They stopped him, the tug started, my father waved him off. He put two guys in front of them at each turn point, with him as the final marshal. He wiggled that sucker in there, sometimes a foot at a time, and got him parked perfectly, right on his marks.

Meanwhile, in the Hickam Ground tower, the Vice Wing Commander, and the controller on duty were both watching, jaws on the floor, waiting for the "kaboom".

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Hi, plane fans.

For those who did not see that:
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljOxo0s33sI

Super landings with superb music by Enigma, Return to innocence !!
www.youtube.com...

Blue skies.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   
That was pretty standard -- slightly dicey at the critical "decrab", but it has nothing on the A320 a few years back

THAT one had some pucker factor!

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:45 AM
link   
My wife and I flew to Reno a few years back and they did one of these in heavy winds. As we were "deplaning," the co-pilot was saying "Buh-bye" to everyone. When my turn came I said, "That pilot sure gave us a helluva ride!" (Meaning bad.) The guy grinned real proud like and said, "Yeah, he's pretty good ain't he?" I wanted to punch him in the throat, but my wife shoved me onto the jetway.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join