It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop hitting on windows XP!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

That's the other reason I installed the second XP: I disabled the NIC at the Device Manager. It's not that I don't trust our dear leaders, or anything like that, I mean God forfend....

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
xp is fine. But windows 8, isn't that the biggest sack of sheat you've ever seen in your life??? It's like Apple infiltrated MSN and perverted there good invention with BS. I can't believe they actually released that. To people that are use to windows 7, ....8 is a whole other planet. I'm not gonna go relearn a whole OS that doesn't do anything different other than have wonky ways to use it. What a total joke. I know there's some programmer in a back office who's made millions and him and his friends get drunk and are like "how can we make the company more money?.... I know windows 8....but we have to change it up just to get a rise out of people. Plus the Nsahh has offer us a 5 billion to install those backdoors on it. It will be perfect, we'll piss off everyone on the planet in multiple ways and make billions in the process, it's beautiful!"..... that's exactly how they think I'm sure of it.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Stop hitting on windows XP!

I will not! She's a saucy little manx, and if I'm persistent she'll cave. She struts around all fancy but I can see through her charade. Deep down she's a dirty, dirty OS. Right fit bird she is.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   
XP was a great os. But 7 definitely set the bar. And in IMO 8 goes one better. But lets not argue over numbers lol.

They didnt stop supportibg xp because they just wanted to. It has a limited support life. They all do. Be lucky they have support unlike the other os's that get mentioned often when discussing m$.

Xp also has its flaws.

And every corporate place ive either studied or worked in uses 7. They would be ignroant to use an unsupported os in a corporate environment. makes me wonder about some of the people who claim to be this or that... but dont update their office systems and use unsupported operating systems..

Xp was pants to install drivers for especially on non standard hardware in a corporate environment... luckily when we did use xp, all of our maxhines were the same hardware. Tenders guarantee that.

Xp was good. so waz the model t. Damn henry ford for not supporting that in 2013.

(ps i dunno about the model t. It probly stank oO)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

How would you know sparty? You cant afford win8.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

How do you know so much about what's good for other people? I said outright that the users prefer it and we haven't had any problems with it. It hums right along and it fits in perfectly with the way our business runs. Most of the users have Win7 or 8 at home, and they still prefer XP. What does that tell you?

But as an expert in other people's business, perhaps you could advise us how to "fix" it, if it bothers you that much. I realize that having "claimed" to work in this line for 31 years is no substitute for fancy certifications; so I guess I'll just have to live with the poor consolation of pleased and prosperous bosses....

edit on 11/22/2013 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

There's also Virtual Machines, they make excellent sandboxes. Just snapshot the open one. And when you need to do some potentially unsafe surfing - surfing that you know will take you into malware and virus land - fire up the VM. When you're done it's just reset the next time you load it.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I'd agree that XP was one of the best ..but it lost any advantage it had for anything but a virus magnet and hacker dream when Microsoft moved on ...THREE versions ago. I mean, the differences between XP and 8.1 are staggering and I literally laugh out loud now at the people still embracing obsolete tech. Heck, to be totally fair, I DO still have XP in fully functional form on my laptop as the XP Core to the win 7 package. It works for the rare occasion I have something I still want that won't run on 7 or 8.

It's very true that 8 had some major issues, not least of which being the goofy and outright ignorant forcing of tiles in the interface. (Thank Goodness for 3rd party coders, so I never had to suffer that crap even a single day) However, I've only crashed 8 once and I was really asking for it, given the things I had running at once for inherent conflict.

There is also software that flat out stopped working when 7 arrived. Even more became historic footnotes with 8. How much are people willing to write off to stay with an O/S from the past? As of April 2014, it'll be the biggest favor one can do to Conmen and Hackers to keep with it. That'll be when MS stops all support.

Join modern computer users or go to Linux? Staying with XP won't be a choice much longer, either way. (Really..? It was high tech in August of 2001 when it released....it's a reminder of what USED to be high tech now..?)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

All very good points Wrabbit. For the average user though, the issue is the user interface. I think most people want the latest tech they can get. They just don't want their user interface screwed with. They're used to where everything is, and how it works.
Microsoft has the same problem as google. They're always fixing things that don't need fixing. For you, me, and other technicians, programmers, and power users in this thread, it's not such a big deal. To the everyday user, who is already intimidated by their computer. It's a disaster when you start moving things around, and changing how they do things in their OS.
So, they dig their heels firmly in place, and refuse to budge. This is another issue MS could easily fix, but they're too busy trying to dominate the world, rather than focus on building a rock solid OS, with a truly usable interface. Something Apple could stand to do as well.

edit on 11/22/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Is WinXP with all service packs available for sale anywhere?

Computer shops are all about the latest OS, which is a shame.

Thanks!

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

xp had major backdoor issues. Security was a problem... then we got sp 2 which fixed the issues. What an absolute joke to have so many problems with an operating system.

Once they fixed the issues it was ok. Vista sucks and as usual there are issues that consumer has to keep paying money for additional programs (like virus software) to do the job that the bloody stinking program should do.

I am running vista at the moment. Checked Ubuntu and that isn't too bad. I will when I upgrade my laptop go with an Apple Mac. Why? Because I don't need all the virus software etc...

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Klassified
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

All very good points Wrabbit. For the average user though, the issue is the user interface. I think most people want the latest tech they can get. They just don't want their user interface screwed with. They're used to where everything is, and how it works.
Microsoft has the same problem as google. They're always fixing things that don't need fixing. For you, me, and other technicians, programmers, and power users in this thread, it's not such a big deal. To the everyday user, who is already intimidated by their computer. It's a disaster when you start moving things around, and changing how they do things in their OS.
So, they dig their heels firmly in place, and refuse to budge. This is another issue MS could easily fix, but they're too busy trying to dominate the world, rather than focus on building a rock solid OS, with a truly usable interface. Something Apple could stand to do as well.

edit on 11/22/2013 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

I'm convinced Microsoft does this completely on PURPOSE. They need to justify the continued sales of Microsoft Press books and all their ridiculously over priced certification programs which you have to retake almost every year because they keep changing crap.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
From what I experienced, Win operating systems will behave when I don't install and uninstall a lot of programs, move lots of files (such as thousands of small ones or several big ones) from hard disk to hard disk, etc., run programs that require lots of resources, etc. But when I do, XP usually fails more times than Win 7.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I liked XP, I still have a copy, I also enjoyed ms dos and 3.x

Technology has to move ahead. And that includes the OS,

There have been flops *cough* Windows ME *cough* and there will be more but I have come to love 7.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

pfffffffffft!
Win 2K was the best one.

But as with all things it's time to move on. After 13 years Win XP is old.

Windows 7 is a very good OS. It's time to upgrade to it.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

You make an outstanding point about interface. It's something I can even relate to and in ways I wish weren't so, but I've run into it for some brand new software at school. Adobe and now Visual Studio, which I'm learning as well. Learning on one version is tough...getting the next version in that has a major UI change and just minor "tweaks" of renaming things I JUST learned or moving them from places I JUST got to know has been, at times, outright damaging in catching up.

So, it's interesting for that aspect. I couldn't believe my ears when Microsoft initially had one of their top people say the Metro Interface was just how things were going to be done and people would have to learn to live with it. Um..... hello?! No.. We won't "learn to live with it". We'll go to Linux...and even those new folks will likely learn it with more eagerness than a forced change by Microsoft.

I'm very glad that 8.1 released with a way to kill the Metro take-over. Although, again, for anyone living with that now? Classic Shell is what I not only use on Windows 8.1 (despite their fix) but ALSO use on my Win 7 install too. It doesn't JUST give total control of Start Menu and Desktop appearance but gives persistent desktop positioning. So, the icon you move to a corner will STAY in that corner boot after boot, without question. (I forget what it's like to have the stupid things reset because windows wants them too..lol)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I love(d) XP, but the thing for me, is that I'm a gamer. Most of the games coming out now want a 64b OS with more RAM than XP is allowed to have. So, I bucked up and installed W7 this year, when I built my new gaming machine.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
the machine i am on i paid an extra $100 to have it downgraded to XP before it was shipped out to me.

I love xp. i can tolerate 7, but it has its bugs. It also has some nice features. If i have to buy the next machine with 8, or anything like it, I will switch back to Ubuntu. I like Ubuntu, too.

I am a "power user" with things spreadsheet and database related. I cannot do the touch screen thing while doing this work. I don't have time to waste body movements by having to use my entire hand instead of just my mouse.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Hushabye
I love(d) XP, but the thing for me, is that I'm a gamer. Most of the games coming out now want a 64b OS with more RAM than XP is allowed to have. So, I bucked up and installed W7 this year, when I built my new gaming machine.

Thats the only reason I'd give up on xp. If MS had updated directX on xp it would still do the job. 64 bit isn't as important as people seem to think. The only difference 64 bit makes is the abilty to address mem space above 4gig, but these days most good graphics cards come with gigs of extremely fast ram so most of the shunting is done through them.

Interesting to note, a 32 bit os can address more than 4 gigs! Theres a (software) switch (cant remember what its called, something like the - A switch) that developers could use that allows addressing way above the 4 gig limit, the problem is, if I understood it correctly, is that the os also needs to have been programmed to use it too.
edit on 22-11-2013 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
However, I've only crashed 8 once and I was really asking for it, given the things I had running at once for inherent conflict.

Hi wrabbit.
So why cant the all singing and dancing win8 handle things without getting it self in a twist!
You wouldn't believe the amount of progs I have running all at once, and I dont get problems.
You see, thats the thing about xp, its so easy to tailor it to suit ones needs.

I dont think your model T analogy holds water when it comes to pc's, for example, xp may have been born way back when, but my xp has a quad core sitting under its bonnet, it has 8 gigs of mem to accomodate its passengers, it has a powerful graphics card that gives me a crystal clear windscreen (and also edits video at lightning speed using Cuda), it has a 5.1 sound system that would compete with the BoomBox boys LOL, and if I want I can install a win7 paint job too (theme), but I wont.

Security. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, security starts at the router, if its set up right it'll keep out all but the most determined, and if they get through that then chances are it dont matter what os your running.

So what can win8 do that my xp cant?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join