It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stonehenge archaeologists have been digging in the wrong place!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Bilk22

kloejen
Don't get any of the annoying ads or popups. I'm using firefox with adblock - end of ads. (just remember to turn it off when visiting ATS, since it violates T&C)

I just grabbed the most telling picture in the article, which is actually a mistake, sorry about that.

This photo below supposedly shows workers on the site back in 1901.

This picture shows workers on the site in 1901 in a restoration which caused outrage at the time but which is rarely referred to in official guidebooks. For it means that Stonehenge, jewel in the crown of Britain's heritage industry, is not all it seems. Much of what the ancient site's millions of visitors see in fact dates back less than 50 years.

There is also something about it on Wiki:

William Gowland oversaw the first major restoration of the monument in 1901 which involved the straightening and concrete setting of sarsen stone number 56 which was in danger of falling. In straightening the stone he moved it about half a metre from its original position.[47] Gowland also took the opportunity to further excavate the monument in what was the most scientific dig to date, revealing more about the erection of the stones than the previous 100 years of work had done. During the 1920 restoration William Hawley, who had excavated nearby Old Sarum, excavated the base of six stones and the outer ditch. He also located a bottle of port in the Slaughter Stone socket left by Cunnington, helped to rediscover Aubrey's pits inside the bank and located the concentric circular holes outside the Sarsen Circle called the Y and Z Holes.[48]

source

If you still want me to repost the entire article here, let me know

edit on 21/11/2013 by kloejen because: (no reason given)
Your original pic was OK. It was early turn of the century. The pic I posted from the article is in no way over 100yrs old. The rig is contemporary.

You can tell by the clothes that the picture was taken in late fifties or early sixties, which is within the timeframe of the last restoration. Also the crane is certainly not modern,
there are three things that stand out.
One, the construction of the boom, it is a riveted bird cage truss. Most all cranes of that size, built in the last 25 years would have telescopeing box tube boom.
Two, notice that the stabilizer arms are manual jack screws, they have to be hand wrenched into position. Any crane built in the last thirty years those would be hydraulic cylinders.
Three, the boom angle indicator, on the side of the boom, you can tell by it's size it's the primary instrument for that task. That is where the boom operator would look to gage the angle of the boom, and not in the cab. In a modern crane that would have been an analoug gauge in the cab.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

MamaJ
I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet and if it has, my apologies. I searched the subject on here and google to be sure.

Stonehenge archaeologists have been digging in the wrong place!!!! OOPS! lol

New research suggests archaeologists have been searching for the last 90 years in the wrong place.

The rocks may have originated from another hill, just a mile away says Dr. Bevins.

Dr Bevins's team are able to say so categorically that they have discovered the source of the spotted dolerites thanks to a range of laser mass spectrometry techniques which analyse both the chemical composition of the rock and the microbiology present when it was formed.

He says that the chance of them having originated anywhere other than Carn Goedog is "statistically-speaking, infinitesimally small".

And while he is the first to admit that this discovery on its own gets us no closer to solving the riddle, he believes a definitive answer will come eventually.

"I've been studying the bluestones for over 30 years now, and I'm no closer to finding an answer which convinces me either way. But the one thing which I am increasingly sure of is that each piece of the puzzle we find brings us another step closer to the truth.

What does ATS think about this news??

io9.com...

You need to put the above quote in context as well. They are not saying that the bluestones that make up Stonehenge came from a nearby hill where they are now, they're saying that their original source, in Wales, might have been misinterpreted. The way in which they were moved across the Bristol Channel is under dispute. Some day that Bronze Age locals moved them. Others say that they found their way to the area thanks to the glaciers of the last ice age.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Normally I'd be the first to jump on English heritage, but these monochrome photo's could just as easily be shot from a set for a Monty Python sketch, or any movie set for that matter. Video or it didn't happen.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ramcheck

Haha, you're arrogant statement "Video, or it didn't happen" doesn't actually change the facts of the matter, in that Stonehenge was rebuilt and is a matter of historical record.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join