It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC Bans Tobacco Sales to Anyone Under Age 21

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

(ABCnews.com)-Mayor Michael Bloomberg signed landmark legislation Tuesday banning the sale of tobacco products to anyone under the age of 21, making New York the first large city or state in the country to prohibit sales to young adults.

During a brief ceremony at City Hall, Bloomberg said raising the legal purchase age from 18 to 21 will help prevent young people from experimenting with tobacco at the age when they are most likely to become addicted. City health officials say 80 percent of smokers start before age 21.

abcnews.go.com...

Im gonna just post a comment from the comment section of the article that sums up my thoughts pretty well.

"RealityChek4you -Young adults! NY has decided that you are not mature or intelligent enought to know whether or not you should smoke. Or drink.
However, you are mature and intelligent enough to vote. You are mature enough to sign a contract, understand finance, commit to thousands of dollars in student debt in hopes of a career that will help you pay it back. You are also mature and intelligent enough to commit to serve in the US Armed Forces, and put yourself in harms way in service of our country.
You just can't smoke or drink while you're doing it, mmmkay? Big Daddy Gov knows best."

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Very logical because it is SOOO hard to get cigs when your underage.. I am getting sick of idiots in office.
Firepiston

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

RealityChek4you -Young adults! NY has decided that you are not mature or intelligent enought to know whether or not you should smoke. Or drink. However, you are mature and intelligent enough to vote. You are mature enough to sign a contract, understand finance, commit to thousands of dollars in student debt in hopes of a career that will help you pay it back. You are also mature and intelligent enough to commit to serve in the US Armed Forces, and put yourself in harms way in service of our country. You just can't smoke or drink while you're doing it, mmmkay? Big Daddy Gov knows best."

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Here, you can have a job, rent an apartment or buy a house, but you cannot drink, or smoke, in your own home.
Awesome!!! Hell, let's raise it to 40.

BTW, MI is trying to pass, or has passed a law that you cannot smoke, in your own car, if there is anyone under the age of 18 in the car. More legislating of stupidity is all it is.
edit on 21-11-2013 by chiefsmom because: afterthought

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Black_Fox

You can also get an abortion as early as 14 without parental consent.

Just don't smoke afterwards.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Isn't it a pity, what they say about New York City?

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Black_Fox

This is why liberals are losing ground.

They worry about things "for our own good" like smoking and drinking while other more important and REAL /direct threats to us go unchecked by them.

They just made smoking MORE interesting to young adults.

Idiots.

edit on 11 21 2013 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I been a smoker for 35+ years, and I wish that law was in effect here when I was younger... I would recommend it be moved to 26 years of age to be honest.

Smoking is bad for me (I know it) and it has taken it toll on me over the years... the youngsters just don't understand the effect it has over years, it slowly wears you down... when you first notice the major systems you will think your just out of shape... a few years more of smoking and you start noticing that a simple cold takes longer to get rid of or it worsens to a much more serious illness. I'm not even going to talk about the other things that could happen...

I don't want to preach, it's your life you can do what ever you want... and btw, I too don't agree with government making laws that are not equal across the board.

All I'm really saying is when I was younger I wasn't smart enough to look 20 - 30 years ahead, now that those years have passed I see the other side of the leaf so to speak.

edit on 11/21/2013 by Shdak because: Repeated word removed

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
So sad how governments have there priorities all messed up, trying to ban big soft drinks, then raising the legal age to buy smokes, wow.

Education and healthcare is the way of the future

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
These rules are nothing to do with health etc, its all to do with control, you see tobacco is one of the strongest addictions there is, and it you can make a smoker smoke here there and not at all in this place and that place, then you control his activities.

Then you control the way he lives, the way you bring up your kids.

I smoke but Im not controlled, even on here I have saw people swallow the established view about smoking.

Alex jones rants about not trusting the Government but believes the dangers about smoking.

Doctors know nothing about smoking only what they are taught in medical school.

Enough of that for now.

I bet every person that believes the smoking propaganda is already controlled, and maybe moan but let some Fcker who says he is Airport security fondle his daughter in the name of security, you believe some of the crap then you are half way there.

Trust me if smoking was bad' they would be giving out cartons to the unemployed the disabled the old, but the fact that they raise the tax tells me that they do not want people deciding for them selves.

If you believe that they are out to cut the population put cancer in vaccines kill the old, then why not make cigs cheaper and why not for free.

Because its a con, they say smoking bad, so I take it as a health supplement.

Educate yourself and see where all this comes from.

First the smoking
Then the Drinking
Then certain foods
Then lifestyles
Then how you raise your children
Then how you educate your children
What you grow in your garden
what you wear
and then when we have control we will molest your kids in front of you and make you watch' and we will convince you we are doing it for your safety

Then we might decide to teach your kids that you the parents are abnormal, gay people dont breed they dont add to the population,
And when they control you, and your children and every aspect in your life' ponder for a minute and say was smoking really that bad.

www.google.co.uk... thQeP2IDYAg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1241&bih=590

edit on 21-11-2013 by pavmas because: spelling mistake kicks instead of kids (deary deary me)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Smoking kills for sure, for sure!

But it also prevents other illnesses, it's a crazy world.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

in your own car, if there is anyone under the age of 18 in the car. More legislating of stupidity is all it is.

I think that is a smart one as it does protect children/toddlers/babies that otherwise would have to be around a moronic parent that believes that because their window is down a crack, their child isn't breathing in that crap. Remember before responding, there are ALOT of idiots that do this without a second (or first) thought of what it is doing to their child.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

FirePiston
Very logical because it is SOOO hard to get cigs when your underage.. I am getting sick of idiots in office.
Firepiston

These people are completely out of touch with the rest of people. When they decided to ban smoking in bars in NYC...the bars just moved their smoking section to the basements ha! You could still smoke in bars in NYC after a certain hour...it's true. Most bar owners gave the middle finger to these uptown, uptight, out of touch morons.

They tried to force people to quit smoking by raising the price of cigarettes in NYC. But they didn't realize that what they really did was create an entire underground black market for cigarettes.

Walk down 6th ave. and see how many former drug dealers who used to spout the phrase "hey I got that smoke, smoke" are now spouting the phrase "hey I got marlboro, newports $5"...

Or the random person who will sell you a single cigarette for .50 cents- a dollar.

These idiots have no clue.

You have cigarette dealers on speed dial who will show up wherever you want them to, and they will sell you a pack for $5 or you can even buy them by the carton...bypassing these idiots over priced, over taxed attempt at forcing people to live the way they want them to live.

Kids will find a way to smoke, and telling them not to, only makes them want to do it more. Idiots.

Someone seriously needs to slap Bloomburg and his uptown cronies in their make-believe faces and tell them, nay, show them that they cannot force every single human being on the planet to live the way that they do. Their way of life is not my way of life...quit trying to force me and others to live the way you live. Idiots, and out of touch the lot of them.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I've always found this hypocritical.

I can go DIE in a war when I'm eighteen, but I can't buy beer, a handgun and now tobacco. I mean really. It's OK to send an eighteen year old off to die, but we'll be darned if he wants a beer!

Now I don't smoke nor drink, well I hardly drink anyways... But I've always had a giggle thinking about how these idiots measure up whats bad for the youth of the nation. "Being shot at by a hostile army? Not a problem! Want a beer? YOU'RE TOO YOUNG!". Haha, idiots. Idiots everywhere in power.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Since the harmful effects of smoking can be reversed if a smoker quits soon enough in life, I think it makes more sense to ban sales of tobacco to anyone over the age of 40.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

Ok you have made a statement' * Show Me Your Proof that smoking kills and by that I mean clinical trials that are published that can be checked" and don't say everybody knows as that is not an answer, because everybody knows that Iraq had WMDs Everyone knows that 19 Saudis Blew up the trade centre,

We are told millions die world wide from smoking' In fact its an offence to lie on a Death Cetificate so find me one just one death cetificate from any where in the world that says died as a result of Smoking.

And none of this rubbish saying lung cancer and saying that is caused by smoking because more woman died of lung cancer in the USA in 2009-2010 who we none smokers, that is the same as saying a flood somewhere in the world is caused by global warming, when it could be just blocked drains.

I don't wont speil I want facts.

And if you can't supply facts then I suggest you go through every road block and submit yourself to a search because you never know terrorists could be about.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

My defense is for adults only, anyone that smokes in a car with youngsters is wrong as their lungs are still developing.

I will go further and say that anyone who takes a kid into a car and sits in a line of traffic is wrong also as their lungs are still delevloping and the particles that lorries spew out are a lot more dangerous than smoke for a cig.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

Its all about control, first they ban it in pubs where people gather splitting the population, pubs in the uk are shutting at record levels.
Then they brought in laws making it an offence for more than 2 people to gather in a group.

Now you can't even meet to get up opposition.

I have not put a foot in a pub since the ban in the uk,.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by pavmas

My defense is for adults only, anyone that smokes in a car with youngsters is wrong as their lungs are still developing.

I agree with you 100%.

Adults should be able to do anything to their own body that they want without the government "protecting" them. The government seems to confuse "protect" with the word "control". That, I disagree with wholeheartedly.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Conspiracy alert!.

I wonder if there is more money for the city through fines than it is to gain tax money from the smokes sold from individuals 18-20 years old.

I bet the fine for a "minor" being in the possesion of a cigarette is more than 200 dollars.

I bet the fine for selling a "minor" smokes is not less than 2000 dollars.

I think the city is using drugs (cigarettes) as a money maker that is politically correct in their current voting base.

edit on 21-11-2013 by ManOfHart because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Shdak

Well ive smoke since I was 9, my grandad died at 96 and that was because they stopped his food and water for a week before they even told us.

in 2012 the oldest woman alive was a smoker and they never reported her birthday, if you reach a 100 and smoke they don't carry it on the news they only cover none smokers.

My brother was a non smoker and died at 50, my other brother died of cancer at 50 and he was a smoker but he worked in a cancer ward, a year later his mate who worked in the same cancer ward was a non smoker and died of what my brother died off he was 48 (exact same cancer).

My wife had a tumour and they said only smokers get this type of tumour, my wife says I dont smoke, they said but you have cigs in your handbag, haha they were mine I put them in her bag because my pockets were tight.

If you smoke then your illness is caused by smoking, if you dont smoke' eh its secondary, you cant make this up.

Mate you are in your thirys or forties, my wifes health is a lot worse than mine and she is a non smoker, maybe you would be in worse health if you did not smoke.

What if I told you that everyones health starts to go downhill the older we get.

There must be others on here in their 30s who have bad backs growths, My brotherlaw has just has chemo for a brain tumour and he was a health freak sailing, paragliding and not near any smoke live in the countryside.

I live inner city and smoke.
They know we all take longer to get over illness the older we get' but they have you beliving that everyone you age that does not smoke is a picture of health, go to a cancer hospital and ask the paitents how many smoke and how many don't you might get a surprise

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join