It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows XP will not install updates

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I feel your pain, just reloaded windows 7 and some updates fail to install, I too added an ssd drive and I was thinking that was part of the issue, but my hdd drive does the same thing...

My guess as to the cause is a driver issue (maybe), but what I found that helped was making sure windows shadowing was off in the BIOS, that included Windows restore in my case because it's kinda like shadowing. Turned off superfetch, windows indexing, and shadow volume copy...problem almost gone, at least it is running a lot better.

If I remember correctly, all these thing must be disabled manually with xp when adding a SSD drive, Win 7 will automatically turn them off in most cases just so you know...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
For others who will run into this problem....

I have dealt with this several times now. You will need to:

Install windows as normal
Attempt to update
After it fails (if it does, ---likely)
Then go hereMicrosoft Support
1/2 way down the page there is a link to a .msi file named Microsoft Fix it 50597 (under the "Fix it for me")[ctrl + F] and search for it
Disable automatic updates
Run the file
Reboot
Enable automatic updates
Reboot

You should be good after this. Although I have had to disable, reboot, and enable another cycle for it to proceed with the updates. It's a pain but it works. Good Luck.

EDIT: Because ATS pwnt my links : /

edit on 21-11-2013 by rockn82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
My brother had this issue. It was caused by his windows clock being set incorrectly. Make sure your date and time are set correctly. Good luck!

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I dont think you can leave an old computer go forever while all the while cybertech is progressing and progressing. Pretty soon, the updates themselves are evolving past the compatabilities of the older computers, so I dont think you can get them installed and updated forever.

There is new tech and security safeguards IN them. I think eventually....older OS's just cant read, process or install them. As they get older n older, comps just dont have the processing tech, speed or memory.

Time to update, I think. I loved XP, but I like Windows 7 more now that Iv had it awhile!!

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

snipah3
My brother had this issue. It was caused by his windows clock being set incorrectly. Make sure your date and time are set correctly. Good luck!

Yes this is a common cause for the problem described in the OP.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Eventually you'll get sick of commercial software, and switch to open source. It just simply works right, no drivers required to get your system running, built in updater, and the ability to completely customize whatever you want, to do whatever you want....JMHO.

Here's a download link for Ubuntu,

and one for Mint.

There's both 64-bit and 32-bit versions available for each, and Ubuntu 12.04, as well as Mint 13, are both supported until April 2017. You would, of course, need a blank DVD and DVD burner for the .isos, as they are about 800mbs each.

Here's the beauty of it though: Those are LIVE DVDs. You can boot them and play around with the OSs without ever installing them on your harddrive or ssd. Reboot and eject the disc, and you are back to normal until you take the plunge. Even after that, you can install them to dual-boot both windoze and linux. Easy-peasy.

Personally, I run Mint 15 on my laptop that I use most of the time. I have Ubuntu 12.04 on a tower, but it was so ugly, too Windoze 8 like, that I took off the native desktop and put on Cinnamon desktop.

If you want Windoze like, go with Ubuntu. If you want slick, go with Mint.

edit on 11/23/13 by Druid42 because: spelling

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by desertguy

Sure, that's why it has more holes than the ozone layer. Please install windows 7 or 8, both very fast on any computer younger than 5 or 6 years.

posted on Nov, 29 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
does anybody know what the big security threat was that was announced from microsoft for xp and server 2003 but the fix offered shuts down some functions anyone know

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join