It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Xbox One: Constantly Listening To Conversations

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Agent008
I have tried telling my friends that xbox one is garbage and a spy tool, they don't seem to care... I get answers like "well if I'm not doing anything illegal they can watch me all they want" This is a dangerous way to think when it comes to your personal privacy. Oh well not my problem I'm getting a Alienware X51 console PC.

I'm with you right here, buddy.

I had a HP envy 17 gaming laptop until hurricane sandy took it along with all my stuff. I was gaming on my pc mostly and my ps3 did not get touched nearly as much.

I have no idea what pc to get. I would like to build my computer, though. Don't know where to start.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by bigman88

Here's a good place to start. I built an almost identical rig.

Building a PC

BTW. Skip the overclocking unless you REALLY understand it.
edit on 11/21/2013 by usertwelve because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by usertwelve

The whole point of the console is to monitor your existence...I WOULD NOT TRUST Microsoft settings... if they can track you... they are going to track you...

Buy an XBOX One,... goodbye privacy...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
1=Just do not get a XBox One
2=Wire in your own ON/OFF switch
3=Just remove the mic

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

*waiting for xbox1 deaf edition*

peace.
edit on 21-11-2013 by dodol because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
We're looking at a console just because we don't have one and we're cutting the cable cord, but I ruled out the Xbox 1 a long time ago. This only makes me more sure we don't want it.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SovereignEve

Hardly. It's basically the same hardware as a PS4, and far superior to XBOX 360 and PS3. Bluray was a natural progression after the flop of HD-DVD or whatever it was.

edit: As for the rest of the Sony fanboys/girls.....please remember the massive security breach that gave out over a million users credit card, and other, details via the Sony PS Network. They're just as bad.

If you all truly want privacy you need to disconnect from the grid. No more electronics. PC operating systems have back doors....and well...the most popular is owned by Microsoft.
edit on 21-11-2013 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Yes, I'll be buying both PS4 and Xbox One.

If it truly becomes a concern I'll do something super-technical. I'll unplug the Kinect. Holy Moley.....CRAZY STUFF MAN...I know....all brains.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bigman88

Sorry to hear about your hardware. Building iz one option, but have you checked out the Alienware website? The X51 is a beast in a pretty case. No matter what you decide on remember no one will be watching us play battlefield butt ass naked
(not in the same room tho..)

Alienware X51 PC Console

edit on 11/21/2013 by Agent008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Just unplug the kinnect when you're not using it. You can either unplug it from the USB connection into the Xbox or pull its power cord. You can also disconnect your network connection if you want to use the kinnect, but are worried about it transmitting live over the net.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 11:44 PM
link   
What happened to the good old power button?

Lots of hoopla over something they could have easily changed. Now- they have a big PR problem.

Lazy ass people dont want to push buttons.

"You have to use your hands, thats like a babies toy"- kid from Back To The Future 2

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
1. For as much as this console costs, the consumer should not have to rewire or alter anything for it to be satisfactory.

2. Microsoft backpedaled and stated that the Kinect will no longer have to be turned on to play...unless the game requires Kinect. So what if the games for Xbox One start coming out where they require the Kinect even though it isn't an integral part of play? Reading between the lines is always beneficial with these megalith corporations.

3. Microsoft patented a controller that can read your hand pressure to "positively identify the user"... is this the controller that will be packaged with the Xbox One?

All of this intrusiveness is naturally marketed to the consumer as something fantabulous - that would lend to a customizable user experience. But peel back the veneer. Problem is, the up and coming generation were weaned on technology. And they generally see no problem with giving away personal details online, easily sucked in by the ego driven Facecrook and Youboob. Privacy is not a concern, and they can't comprehend why giving even a little slack to governments or corporations is a dangerous slippery slope. That's where parents come in to impart wisdom, but seeing that many parents aren't seeing this as a problem either, well...

But even if the privacy wasn't an issue for me, the fact that a corporation is taking away my choices and making me pay a premium for it, is so totally unacceptable. I don't even know how Microsoft markets a data-stealing peripheral as a great feature. If I want to customize my experience, then it should be completely up to me how I customize it. But they've taken that away from the consumer under the masquerade of the illusion of choice.

As long as people find it acceptable or "don't care", companies and governments will continue to push the envelope to see just how far they can go. Right now we are paying far more for far less (in choice and service) for cable, game consoles, internet service, phones, cel service, and so on. As long as people accept this, companies have absolutely no reason to change, but every reason to continue pushing in that direction.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Wow, some of you guys are gonna pitch a nasty fit when the first waves of VR come about and its scanning your retinas and doing everything else it can to give you the best experience possible. Of course the damn things gonna listen to me, chances are your cellphones and laptops are listening to you too...

Besides, isn't it obvious by now the whole NSA scandal is just a diversion?

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Figures it would make for a good NSA tool but I wonder why they want to scan genitals too.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   
No mention of the facial recognition built into both Xbox one & ps4? .. Uses facial recognition to sign you into facebook & what not. So it will have a huge data base of linked ids. Faces to facebook pages etc. How long before that ends up on government databases for facial recognition security in the streets & airports etc. & were doing it all willingly. Boggles the mind

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
And I thought the ATS crowd had better knowledge to know that consoles are welfare versions of pc..

Real gaming PC(You build it you know whats in it.)

No spying except the 4000 sites you connect to via 1 but meh, at least they aren't looking at my junk and listening to me scream on how sad said junk is... eh?.... eh???

reply to post by Agent008

Not worth the money, 3rd rate parts for the amount you pay is just insane...(Dell was busted for this yes yrs and yrs ago..)

Want a real pc goto newegg and do it yourself..
edit on 11/22/2013 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 04:33 AM
link   
My room-mate was playing NBA2K12 or something similar, and another guy and I were having an excited conversation in the room that involved swearing - the Kinect on the Xbox 360 picked up the swear word and gave him a technical fowl, which cost him the game.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure something like this came out when the Xbox One was announced, and Microsoft changed their minds on it.

www.pastemagazine.com...

Scroll down to number 6

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

SovereignEve
I've been gaming all my life and I've been on the XBox since the first one back in the early 2000's - however, the XBox one simply was ruined and didn't catch my interest -- the PS4 will be my first next generation console -- once they iron out all the "bugs" of course.

XBox one is simply an XBox 360 with blu-ray in my honest opinion, plus the required kinect that I need to pay $100 extra for is ridiculous since I've never used it before and don't plan on using it in the future.

The kinect listening to your conversations, however, is apparent. How else would it be able to discover when you say "XBox on" if it wasn't already ON and listening. When the console is powered off the kinect must have a low voltage stand by mode where it's barely powered on enough to listen and when you say the magic words it will fully activate itself along with the main console.

~Sovereign
edit on 21-11-2013 by SovereignEve because: (no reason given)

To be fair, the PS4 has similar tech, they have just been smart not to disclose things as openly as Microsoft.

Either way this is part of the reason I've reverted to PC gaming. I have far better systems and graphics, and far better control over my privacy.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Ok first thing i need to make something very clear.

Sony had similiar plans for consumers like microsoft had. GOOGLE IT.

Sony was letting microsoft go first to see the reactions to the DRM and ideas. Really slick. DID anyone realize the low value commercials they showed about swapping games and trading games? Hastily thrown together to capitalize on the backlash to increase sales.

And oh noes!! i can haz a microphone listening into my conversations? People calm down and think on this for a moment. Does anyone ever plan something in a room with anything electronic if they are worried about being spied on?

OK some commmons facts about the system. X box plays first party games in 1080 p and 3rd party in 720 (to be patched later by the devs not microsoft) PS4 currently does the same thing. Call of duty ghost runs in 720 p on PS4 in multi player due to lag issues.

PS4 has had 4,000 errors so far and counting. Blue lines of death/overheating/ bad hdmi connections. Server issues too. XB1 has not had any issues so far as of my posting,Except server issues/cloud issues.

I like ALL SYSTEMS not just one. So stop being fan boys of just one and grow up to support all gaming.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join