It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Xbox One: Constantly Listening To Conversations

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Source

With the announcement of Microsoft’s next generation gaming console, the Xbox One, it has emerged that the new system carries a device that will be constantly listening’ to gamer’s conversations.

During a PR move designed to make the Xbox One appear more attractive, Microsoft’s hardware program manager, John Link, let slip that a component bundled with the console, the Kinect, will contain a microphone that never turns off.

I've never owned a Xbox system but as I understand it the current version has settings that allow the owner to turn off the microphone. This new version does not have that option and is always on.

The new system can automatically detect and identify users through their body shape and voice. The system can also monitor heart rates.

Microsoft were quick to defend the technology, releasing a statement: “The new Kinect is listening for a specific cue, like ‘Xbox on,’” the spokesperson said. “We know our customers want and expect strong privacy protections to be built into our products, devices and services, and for companies to be responsible stewards of their data. Microsoft has more than 10 years of experience making privacy a top priority. Kinect for Xbox 360 was designed and built with strong privacy protections in place and the new Kinect will continue this commitment.”

How can he say that with a straight face, does anyone still believe that Microsoft has the customers privacy in mind?

I know we have ATS members who are gamers, is anyone here going to be purchasing one of these?

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

It's a user controllable option.

The idea of the Kinect constantly tracking your position around the room and identifying you based on your biometrics and vocal commands may be creepy to some, but the system allows users to set a number of privacy controls. You can turn off the biometric ID system completely if you don't plan on using it, but you can also have the system require a password entry even after it recognizes you. Additionally, the Kinect can be set to totally ignore voice and/or gestural commands. If you're really paranoid, it can be completely unplugged from the system and put away without affecting functionality.

One of many sources

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by usertwelve

edit on 21-11-2013 by Carreau because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

A car in the garage, two chickens in every pot, and a microphone in every home.
edit on 21-11-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Did you note that the spokesman did not say that the mic was limited to where it send its voice command to turn the unit on, would that only been within the set or out to their server someplace?

The announcement comes on the heels of the news yesterday of a new TV by a Korean company to listen, watch viewers along with the ability to download to company servers an inserted USB thumb drive--or even a full-fledged computer or hard drive!

We didn't make enough fuss a couple of decades ago when they slipped cookies quietly into our computers. Now we know why government allowed that to happen. These new spying tricks installed in a host of new consumer appliances would probably have been slipped to us as well with little pushback if the NSA debacle hadn't exploded and continues to explode in their faces.

Why not have Obama simply sign another of his massive amounts of executive orders that we must all have a master sensing unit installed in all our homes? Not hard to do, they will tie into the street light poles outside that do the same thing. --Should I not blame Obama? Didn't I and many others blame Bush for everything that was wrong or cockeyed about his administration?

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I read an article this morning about how LG were caught out using the new smart televisions to transmit data back to them about the owners watching habits. They had put a menu in the software where the owner could switch off the data transmission (ON by default) but it turned out that the off function had NO effect and continued sending data anyway. SICK sons of bitches.
I would not trust a word that came from microsoft, and 'their' off function probably won't stop the microphones listening either.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I've been gaming all my life and I've been on the XBox since the first one back in the early 2000's - however, the XBox one simply was ruined and didn't catch my interest -- the PS4 will be my first next generation console -- once they iron out all the "bugs" of course.

XBox one is simply an XBox 360 with blu-ray in my honest opinion, plus the required kinect that I need to pay $100 extra for is ridiculous since I've never used it before and don't plan on using it in the future.

The kinect listening to your conversations, however, is apparent. How else would it be able to discover when you say "XBox on" if it wasn't already ON and listening. When the console is powered off the kinect must have a low voltage stand by mode where it's barely powered on enough to listen and when you say the magic words it will fully activate itself along with the main console.

~Sovereign
edit on 21-11-2013 by SovereignEve because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

SovereignEve

When the console is powered off the kinect must have a low voltage stand by mode where it's barely powered on enough to listen and when you say the magic words it will fully activate itself along with the main console.

~Sovereign

Yep and the NSA will be listening too, for the magic words 'Bomb', 'Kill' etc..

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

doorhandle

SovereignEve

When the console is powered off the kinect must have a low voltage stand by mode where it's barely powered on enough to listen and when you say the magic words it will fully activate itself along with the main console.

~Sovereign

Yep and the NSA will be listening too, for the magic words 'Bomb', 'Kill' etc..

HAH wouldn't doubt it, honestly. Odd how these particular features were changed so much while the NSA privacy legalities were making headlines, isn't it?

~Sovereign

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Alex Jones FB page

Spotted this today but you'll have to follow link to see the pic because it looks rude. But they're saying it can see you genitalia through this XBOX device? I dunno, what I do know is i'll never own one.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I have been on xbox all my life to. But you know what....SCREW MICROSOFT....I want a games console, Not some piece of spyware crap listening to key words, So i can get bombarded with adverts. I wonder what would happen if you said jihad every day. I know microsoft will sell information to other parties on peoples phrases and keywords. I will stick to playing frogger and save £429.......Theiving Bastards

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   

SovereignEve
I've been gaming all my life and I've been on the XBox since the first one back in the early 2000's - however, the XBox one simply was ruined and didn't catch my interest -- the PS4 will be my first next generation console -- once they iron out all the "bugs" of course.

XBox one is simply an XBox 360 with blu-ray in my honest opinion, plus the required kinect that I need to pay $100 extra for is ridiculous since I've never used it before and don't plan on using it in the future.

The kinect listening to your conversations, however, is apparent. How else would it be able to discover when you say "XBox on" if it wasn't already ON and listening. When the console is powered off the kinect must have a low voltage stand by mode where it's barely powered on enough to listen and when you say the magic words it will fully activate itself along with the main console.

~Sovereign

Actually xbox one is NOT just 360 with blue-ray, thats not even partly correct.

The xbox one is more like a crappy 3 year old gaming computer with a 3 year old medium range gpu, with a horrible CPU that couldnt even run windows 7 and is used in tablets.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Blissified

LOL! +1
Thanks for that reiteration

This generation was a disappointment for gaming.

~Sovereign

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

SovereignEve
reply to post by Blissified

LOL! +1
Thanks for that reiteration

This generation was a disappointment for gaming.

~Sovereign

I'm going to agree with you there, this generation was overall quite weak in terms of imagination, creativity, and lasting appeal in videogames. Even the really good games for my ps3, i don't even think about playing anymore, unlike the really good titles on my ps2, which i still daydream about form time to time.

It's like making a good story with a good script is asking for WAAYYY too much this for ps3 and xbox360, and gamers have generally opted to not even care.

I was watching some gameplay vids for killzone shadwo fall, and was bored to sleep. Literally.

I won't bothering with this console generation at all. Infamous second son looks good, but i'm not buying a console just for a single game. Nope.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Wow its good to know the goverment will now have access to our kids call of duty scores and grandtheft auto .
maybe we vcan finly find out if cindy really is cheating on our little johnny ?? LOL wile I agree haveing a mic on tahts sends info to any company or goverment is a invasion of privicy .Lets be real people jsut what do you expect they can do with all the info??
Heck wouldnt stop my son wouldnt even slow him down .And what ?lock um up because hes 19 and had a beer? yea we heard you say it .No way I said rootbeer stupid! lol

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by bigman88

Exactly, unfortunately there was no true ground breaking innovation - Some interesting features they had integrated were later removed due to public backlash -- I'm in no hurry to get these new consoles -- Eventually, yes, but I definitely wasn't on that pre-order bandwagon.

Also, to add to the main discussion, how lazy does one have to be to be within the same room ,or in close proximity, and not just -- gee idk -- press the ON button or hold the guide button on your wireless controller to turn the console on -- Saying "XBox ON" isn't even a cool feature, just seems irrelevant.

~Sovereign

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I have tried telling my friends that xbox one is garbage and a spy tool, they don't seem to care... I get answers like "well if I'm not doing anything illegal they can watch me all they want" This is a dangerous way to think when it comes to your personal privacy. Oh well not my problem I'm getting a Alienware X51 console PC.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I think I red somewhere it scans genitals...I'd be up for something like that. Instagram will never be the same.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

SovereignEve

~Sovereign

I started out years ago with Atari and all the arcade games!!

Boy they sure have come a long ways

But yeah, we've got both the Xbox 360 Elite & PS3.....
Neither one of us are interested in the Kinect and PS3 has the blue ray player, so I don't see us getting the new Xbox 1

If we ever get another Xbox, which we've been talking about, it's just gonna be a regular one.

But it doesn't surprise me that these gadgets that have 'voice command' and such can track a person's conversations as well as movements.

What do they think these Smart Phones can do??
The ultimate tracking device if you ask me.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Remember how the US Gov't was all over MS and suing the britches off them, then there was a 'settlement'? Whacha think was in the settlement, coupons for a free Frosty at Wendy's?

MS gave wide open doors to everyone who has a PC or an Xbox/Xbox One to the gov't.

Derek

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join