It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Chirac Decries Iraq War Before London Trip: U.S. Actions Made The World More Dangerous

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Stating that the U.S. led war on Iraq has mobilized terrorist and made the world dangerous, French President Jacques Chirac, head to Britain, the United States biggest supporter of the war. Despite his continued criticism, Chirac stated that he want closer ties to the U.S. The trans Atlantic rift will no doubt be a topic of discussion. British Prime Minister Tony Blair has called for a reconciliation and has offered to facilitate this. His views on the Iraq was notwithstanding, Chirac indicated that other areas of cooperation included: climate change, alleviating poverty in Africa and pushing forward the Middle East peace process.

LONDON - The U.S.-led invasion of Iraq mobilized Islamic extremists and made the world more dangerous, French President Jacques Chirac said, keeping up his vocal opposition to the war on the eve of a visit to London.

There's no doubt that there has been an increase in terrorism and one of the origins of that has been the situation in Iraq," Chirac told the British Broadcasting Corp. in an interview to be broadcast later Wednesday.

"To a certain extent Saddam Hussein's departure was a positive thing. But it also provoked reactions, such as the mobilization in a number of countries, of men and women of Islam, which has made the world more dangerous," Chirac said, speaking in French which was translated into English by the BBC.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Interesting, makes a negative comment, then extends a hand in friendship? France had its reasons for its opposition of the Iraq war. Some of which is coming to light as the oil for food scandal unfolds. The simple truth is that while discussing our mutual long history of friendship, even up to the eve of the war, France was selling weapons to Iraq�s government. But I am reminded that countries do not have friends, they have temporary mutual interests.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Did he make his comments before or AFTER he decimated the Ivory Coast Air Force, and moved in 200 French troops to evacuate it's French Countrymen?

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Honestly, does anyone care about what Chirac says? Critism doesn't help the situation at all, its easy to speculate whether or not it was the "right" thing to do. Maybe he should try something really outrageous, like say, sending more humanitarian aid or doing something to help America get out of there, since he believes its such a wrong thing. I don't like Bush policies or the Iraq war, but excessive critisism from European leaders that just sit from afar with thumbs stuck up their arses, just critizing and doing nothing to help Iraqi people or anything angers me!
--Thanks Chirac, I am now a Bush supporter because I'm tired of hearing European leaders whine like little schoolgirls. Bush won't listen to your incessant whining and that is why I now support his adminstration.

[edit on 18-11-2004 by TheBigD]

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I guess he didn't mentioned that his French troops have killed disarmed demonstrators in the Ivory coast...yet the French forces are hailed as "peacekeepers" by the world while the U.S. and coalition forces are called "murderers" for fighting heavily armed insurgents..

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Big D,

Well said....Even if France didn't support the invasion, they sure as hell could help with humanitarian aid....Hell, Chirac didn't even send aid to his own people during the heat wave last year in the form of air conditioners and fans, and as a result, over 13,000 of them died!!

And if France was still selling Iraq weapons up to the start of the war, as far as I'm concerned, France is no longer an ally....England is our only true ally...Always and forever!!

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 03:09 AM
link   
The French, sorry maybe I should just say Chirac, sure knows how to point fingers, but they sure don't know how to do much without anyone elses help. Chirac is a coward that tries to do things behind the scenes while keeping a false image of what he stands for. Do you think he might just be upset that all that money Sadam owes him won't ever come.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toelint
Did he make his comments before or AFTER he decimated the Ivory Coast Air Force, and moved in 200 French troops to evacuate it's French Countrymen?

The Ivory Coast Air Force had just bombed and killed 8 french and wounded 23. For that the aircrafts were disabled, the french killed nobody. Even British troops are moving in to evacuate their own.
www.cnn.com...

Originally posted by Muaddib
I guess he didn't mentioned that his French troops have killed disarmed demonstrators in the Ivory coast..

Have they now ? How many ? I wonder why any news agency hasn't reported this. I wonder why the Ivory Coasters themselves just claim some were wounded. Since when has teargassing rioting mobs to disperse been called killing disarmed demonstrators ?

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 05:12 AM
link   
omg. please inform yourself about certain topics before making statements like : the french killed here and..bla..

what mr chirac says is basically just true. thats all. almost no researcher, reporter or whatever would (outside of the US/UK of course) state that the iraq invasion has led to a more peaceful world.
sad is that most european top-politicians have not the courage to say this in public, the way chirac did. it's time that even the US learns about it's limits. and now they will learn it the hard way. more terror in iraq, no control, no respect towards humanrights or international laws.
all this just feeds the hate & terror against the us and the so called "western world" and it will come back to the responsible countries in one or another way....of course you can now say "my president knows what he does, mr bush will protect us..blub " and your small, little world is ok again.

edit: missed something..to the point, that we ( speaking as a european ) are sitting here, doing nothing, and pointing fingers. we have warned the US before this war, very clear. almost everyone said (bringign it to the point ) :" well this will be impossible or extremly bloody". you cant bring democracy, humanrights etc. through an invasion ( and now dont even think about comparing the iraq situation with WW2. ). and now today germany trains iraqy army / police etc. we are willing to do almost everything to help out BUT no military support in the invasion. this is our right to say NO when we think its WRONG. get the point? we warned the us and are helping out now but we are not that stupid to send more military troops down there to fight. because it will not solve anything! and why are we doing this? because we are allies, friends ( yes i consider the US as our friends, but the current gov is just a threat to world peace..thats nothing agains any us/uk/whatever citicen)

[edit on 18-11-2004 by lubaduba]

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Chirac is an idiot in the league of Chamberlain.
He thinks he is still relevant somehow ...
What a freak'n joke!

Hey Chirac ... perhaps you and Kofi and Kofi's son
can get together in PRISON and dis America all
you want .. it will help you pass time while you
DO TIME for the Oil for Food thefts!!

Chirac is

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by lubaduba
almost no researcher, reporter or whatever would (outside of the US/UK of course) state that the iraq invasion has led to a more peaceful world.
it's time that even the US learns about it's limits.

That's like telling a cancer patient who has just had surgery ....
you don't feel well so the surgery was wrong. OF COURSE the
surgery to remove the cancer was the right thing to do. Sometimes
you have to feel bad or worse before you can feel better.

It's the same thing with the war on terror. It's going to take time,
effort, sacrifice, and blood. Things Chirac obvious doesn't know
anything about. The process will be painful and it will take a while,
but then the cancer of terrorism will have been surgically removed
and the patient (THE WORLD) can heal and recover.

If there is no surgery on cancer, the patient dies. If there is no
war on terror, the world will die (to the Wahabbis).

To use your words - It's time that Chirac learns about his limits ...
Chamberlain was a failure. Chirac is a failure - and a criminal.
He and Koffi and Koffis son should be ashamed of themselves
for their huge part in the Oil for Food thefts. Their appeasement
and cooperation with mass-murder Saddam are unacceptable and
they should be punished severely.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 07:43 AM
link   
You foolish chilldren gotta be fool'in with me. Your evaluations are worth only nonsense that stems from your lack of knowledge and awareness. And I leave my world to you and the Devil. Blind ones

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Philosophical thought: ...."Loose lips sinks ships"....
Second more objective thought: ....Mr. Chirac, have you met Condi Rice yet?

Someone email this to him promptly:
Chirac Against America

Before 9/11, 77 percent of the American public held a favorable view of France and only 17 percent held an unfavorable one. On the eve of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, as French fries became "freedom fries," only 34 percent of Americans saw France in a positive light and 64 percent viewed it negatively. At the center of this conflagration was French president Jacques Chirac.

seekerof

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by lubaduba
and it will come back to the responsible countries in one or another way....of course you can now say "my president knows what he does, mr bush will protect us..blub " and your small, little world is ok again.

because we are allies, friends ( yes i consider the US as our friends, but the current gov is just a threat to world peace.

Luckily we will be able to handle it when it comes back to the "responsible countries," and quit trying to portray Americans as people with little world knowledge and solid ethnocentristic views by saying, "and your small, little world is ok again." Also, only a questionable 51% percent agree with the things Geroge W. Bush is doing, so not all are saying "my president know what he does, mr bush will protect us," that entirely not true. Most of us know that Bush is a moron and Dick Cheney bears most of the burden, and they are not protecting us. They are protecting corporations.

Yeah, go get that dictionary out and look up ethnocentristic.

The Iraq war should never have happened, but we are tired of hearing the same rhetoric from Chirac about how aweful it is. We are also tired of Bush saying how great the war is. We are tired of it all, we just want it to be over with. We, the citizens, know the Iraq war should never have happened. They diverted from capturing the real culprit, Osama Bin Laden, but it is irritating to hear Chirac and other European leaders tell us how aweful it is. It is a world problem but step up and do something about it, France could contribute a lot more to humanitarian aid or some other way to help. France does not help as much as they could, and continual pessimism never helps.
We, the citizens of United Stares bear the burden of these bad policies but there is no path of recourse for the things George Bush has done, and we do not like it anymore than Europeans. England's citizens also bear the burden, but not to the extent that we do. So, forgive us for being angered when Europeans critisize from afar, and are pessimistic from afar, and sometimes take actions just to spite our leaders. It angers the citizens of our country because we bear the burden. Chirac does not bear the direct burden, perhaps indirectly all "western" countries bear a burden, but right now English and United States citizens bear this burden directly. That is why Chirac and others irritate us, the citizens.

And another thing, you said " because we are allies, friends ( yes i consider the US as our friends, but the current gov is just a threat to world peace."

Was Saddam not a threat to world peace? It doesn't justify the the war, but I would think that Saddam was more of a threat than the Bush adminstration. In no way am I trying to justify this war, but the current government of the United States is more of a threat than Saddam was? Sure, the Bush administration invaded Iraq without UN consent or any care for the viewpoints of other European leaders, but surely you have enough common sense to realize the ridiculious statement you made. Saddam was a worse threat than Bush. He was a dictator, authorized all kinds of killings against political opponets, not to mention death chambers, rape rooms, etc.. He also paid money to families of suicide bombers that attacked Israeli's. The sheer ignorance of your statement amazes me. Saddam was a threat to world peace.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Before 9/11, 77 percent of the American public held a favorable view of France and only 17 percent held an unfavorable one. On the eve of the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, as French fries became "freedom fries," only 34 percent of Americans saw France in a positive light and 64 percent viewed it negatively. At the center of this conflagration was French president Jacques Chirac.

Showing a low of lowest points that clearly marked American collective ignorance & stupidity does not supercede the voracity of Mr.Chirac's statement.
Nothing he said is inaccurate - we are facing a world wide Jihad because of , and only because of, the Bush Administration's Neo-Colonialism.
"Freedom Fries"...DUH!

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time

American collective ignorance & stupidity does not supercede the voracity of Mr.Chirac's statement.
Nothing he said is inaccurate - we are facing a world wide Jihad because of , and only because of, the Bush Administration's Neo-Colonialism.
"Freedom Fries"...DUH!

So, 9/11 happened as a result of neo-colonialism on account of Bush adminstration?

"American collective ignorance & stupidity", sorry but it was not stupidity. We were fearful of our lives still. You could never understand our feelings after 9/11. Did you see firsthand the people jumping from the WTC to their death????? NO! YOU DIDN'T!!! Fear is a totally different thing from stupidity and ignorance. When you fear for your life, then you will do what you believe will help protect it.
Once again, you will never understand our feelings because you never saw firsthand the people jumping from the WTC nor did you hear the aweful noise of their bodies hitting the pavement. You did not puke everytime you remembered what you'd seen. So stop your ignorance and try and put yourself in our shoes, for once.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Showing a low of lowest points that clearly marked American collective ignorance & stupidity does not supercede the voracity of Mr.Chirac's statement. Nothing he said is inaccurate -

The points show when America finally woke up to the Euro-centric
nature of the U.N. and of Chirac's bizzare world vision in which he is
actually relevant. Nothing Chirac said is accurate and nothing he
said is relevant. That's what irks him so ... he has visions of grandure
and yet all he is ... is a modern Chamberlain. Actually, he is worse
than Chamberlain. Chamberlain was useless and weakened England.
Chirac is useless, weakens the U.N., AND is corrupt to the core with
the Oil for Food billions that he stole from the Iraqis and that he also
accepted in bribes - allowing the French Security Council vote to be
bought with illegal funds.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Showing a low of lowest points that clearly marked American collective ignorance & stupidity does not supercede the voracity of Mr.Chirac's statement.
"Freedom Fries"...DUH!

Easy for you to insult those who disagree with you...but ignorance seems to come pretty easy for you since you don't know, or you seem to want to ignore, what "France" is doing to "make the world a worse place to live"........... I really don't think that Chirac has anything to say about making the world safer....France has been involved in the genocide in Rwanda....and now what the French troops are doing in the Ivory coast...shooting disarmed people and instigating more violence in Africa?....

Chirac is just trying to make the world keep their eyes on Iraq so they don't see what he and the French troops are doing in the Ivory coast....

Bout Time...you also seem pretty ignorant yourself when you obviously don't see that "a world wide jihad" is what extremists have been doing and have been working on ever since the 7th century....and whether or not we had gone to Iraq, they would still be waging "jihad"....because if you haven't noticed....there are several countries that are already fighting "jihadi wars" as the extremists commit mass murders.....and they have been doing this "before" we ever went to Iraq or Afgahnistan...

"Collective ignorance and stupidity" as you put it...is clearly shown by people claiming that things would be much better if we hadn't gone into Afgahnistan and Iraq.....There was a "worldwide jihad" already being fought.....the extremists just made sure we were sucked into it by attacking us.....It was Islamic extremists that attacked us, not only the highjackers and those who planned 9/11....

And those people who claim that "France is helping make the world a better place," haven't looked at France's recent history in genocide....even today France is helping make things worse in Africa...as their troops have killed and injured "disarmed protestors...

I covered part of what is happening in the Ivory Coast and what France is doing at the following link. You have to scroll down til you find my posts...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 18-11-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   

BT,

Hmmm far from it. Would we have been any safer waiting for France to come around to our point of view? Quite frankly it would have been more ignorant and stupid to allow "France" and Chirac to dictate our foreign policy.

More to the point I am surprised by the continued desire to paint Frances actions is some sort of "moral" light and how stupid of us to not follow thier example. However, scratch the surface of France and what do we find? Money. They may be the biggest played in the oil for food debacle. They stood to profit from Saddam staying in power. Yes you can laud them and bash the US for the war, but lets make sure that thier motives for doing so is clear MONEY :shk:

top topics

join