Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Moose-eating shark rescued in Newfoundland harbour

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
When ya gotta eat...Ya gotta eat!

Although I prefer my moose in a pan or over a fire a shark ain't so picky. Hair, teeth, hooves and all for this one.

www.cbc.ca...

Two quick-thinking men on Newfoundland's northeast coast managed to save a Greenland shark from choking to death on a large piece of moose hide this past weekend. Derrick Chaulk said he was driving down a road by the harbour in Norris Arm North this past Saturday when he saw what he thought was a beached whale. When Chaulk went closer to investigate, he realized it was a shark, which he estimated was about 2.5 metres long, and weighed about 115 kg. The animal was still alive and had a large chunk of moose hide protruding from its mouth. "It [the moose] had the fur and all the liner on it — it was about two feet long, maybe."

And to prove they aren't too picky on their diet:

Greenland sharks are rarely seen on the northeast coast of Newfoundland. They are scavengers, and they feed on food found in shallow water. While their diet is usually fish, they have been found in other jurisdictions to have eaten animals that found their way to the water, from polar bears to reindeer.

Glad the shark is well but the moose has seen better days.

Yup...Truly Canadian!

Peace

edit on 21-11-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Wow peta will be pleased Save the sharks .
Just dont go into the water lol

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Only in Canada.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Zaphod58
Only in Canada.

I truly want to see a shark-eating moose...

Now THAT's something for the grand kids!

Peace

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Haaang on...

We have sharks in Canada?

O.o

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Akragon
reply to post by jude11

Haaang on...

We have sharks in Canada?

O.o

Tis a cold East Coast up here and they did say it's rare but I guess we do.

Peace

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Damn nature, you scary.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
There are just some things I dont need to know about OP... seriously. I already knew about the fish in Canada that my dad had to club cause they try to EAT YOU when they get in the boat... now SHARKS THAT EAT LARGE MAMMALS in Canada??
No more fishing excursions for me...

Can you imagine showing someone a scar and they ask where you got bitten by a shark? " Canada..."

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Don't be a lazy OP..

Good write up, should of had the picture added for us..
You get a star but not a flag...

AND WOW, i would of let the shark die.. No way im going up to it and taking a moose out of its mouth
edit on 21-11-2013 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Advantage
There are just some things I dont need to know about OP... seriously. I already knew about the fish in Canada that my dad had to club cause they try to EAT YOU when they get in the boat... now SHARKS THAT EAT LARGE MAMMALS in Canada??

Can you imagine showing someone a scar and they ask where you got bitten by a shark? " Canada..."

What happens in Canada...Stays in Canada.

Unless of course the shark gets back down to Florida.

Peace

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

jude11

Advantage

What happens in Canada...Stays in Canada.

Unless of course the shark gets back down to Florida.

Peace

Jude, I gotta thank you for this info though. Next time my Canadian fam members ( ONE in particular) says, " I dunno why you live down there on that fault. Why do people live on FAULTS.. and where tornadoes come every year.. thats stupid, EH!" ( I live near the New Madrid fault)... Im going to reply, " In Canada you have friggin moose eating sharks... shut up......"

I just read about your newly found VENOMOUS ugly fish in Canada in another thread....

new topics

top topics

join