It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mark Zuckerberg, undocumented immigrants 'hack' immigration reform

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Well, what happened to that whole 'Go after the employers who hire them!' concept? Even this administration has been heard to call for that at different times, however timidly. It seems there is a point where you exist above and beyond the law though, and Zuckerberg has reached it.

When you can blatantly violate federal hiring laws while encouraging federal crimes by those being hired (How, pray tell, are they filling our those 'Proof of Eligibility' docs the employer is required to have, for instance??) I think it's a very direct statement for being above the law.

Twenty young immigrants who came to the U.S. illegally as children are taking part in a "DREAMer Hackathon" on Wednesday at LinkedIn's Mountain View, Calif., headquarters.

The young coders will break into small groups to build technology during the marathon programming session to push Congress to pass immigration reform. Technology veterans including Zuckerberg, LinkedIn co-founder Reid Hoffman and Dropbox co-founder Drew Houston will be on hand to advise them, and Fwd.us, Zuckerberg's lobbying group, has pledged to get the projects up and running.

Zuckerberg organized his first hackathon in his Harvard dorm room, and Facebook employees routinely pull all-nighters to build new products and features. Now Fwd.us is borrowing the concept to press for a comprehensive overhaul of the nation's immigration policies.
Source

Just when I thought I couldn't lose more respect for some people, they go and prove me wrong. There really ARE new lows and a new bottom to hit. He sure found one.

What criminal class do we hire to defeat the laws they break, next? Really...since changing the law has been a total and absolute failure, just ignoring it as if it didn't exist seems the next best approach. ...and anyone wonders why respect for ALL law is falling at a record pace?

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Let me get this straight...
They are advertising the fact that they are harboring criminals in order for them to break laws???

That just blows my mind. Maybe that is covered by "free speech" unlike the "to catch a predator" show where posting something online to an adult posing as a child is illegal. Don't get me wrong, those guys are whack, but makes the brain wonder why thats a crime if it really wasnt a 13 year old girl.

Somehow one is free speech and the other isnt. Ok probably a horribly bad analogy...but both posts are of crimes,posted online...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

As a U.S. citizen, your opinion means next to nothing anymore. The illegals and those with an agenda will get what they want whether you like it or not. They will, and have, broken laws to get their way. And I'm supposed to support the criminals and their methods? No thanks. I say send them back if they break the law, and send the Obama admin with them.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against immigrants, our country was built on immigration. But thats where things are different here. You have to work hard to get a citizenship, they don't just hand it to you because you said so. The way it used to be, you would come here with a dream and a strong drive and you made a life for yourself with that ambition by doing things the right way.

But now, we have criminals that think they "have the right to citizenship" because they walked across the border illegally and are using underhanded tactics to force their way into citizenship for doing absolutely nothing (other than breaking the law). It's an insult to every immigrant that did things the right way and worked hard to get to where they are.

Illegal immigration is getting out of hand in the U.S. and if we don't do something it will be a real problem for U.S. citizens in the future. Mass amnesty is not the solution.

PS, I know this post isn't PC, but I really couldn't care less if it is.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
These kids are probably 20x times more educated than your average bubba from Mississippi...are they here illegaly? sure

Should we give them an opportunity to contribute to this country? Of course

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

muse7
These kids are probably 20x times more educated than your average bubba from Mississippi...are they here illegaly? sure

Not "probably", they usually are, both here in the UK and in the US

That foreign taxi driver you had this morning might have been a professor in his own country, before we
bombed it.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Opportunity?

They're sure off to a good start with the hacking. What's next, criminal organizations? I'm sure Obama's admin has a few open positions. After all, they seem to carry the same ethics. Doesn't matter how you get what you want, just as long as you get it, right?

ETA: don't try to use the stupid white man stereotype. Racism is ignorant no matter what race you choose to hate.
edit on 21-11-2013 by kx12x because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

muse7

I would think that makes for one of the strongest reasons they ought to rejoin their native countries to become part of the solution at home, rather than a new problem for the criminal justice system here. If enough people did that, there may not be such a "there" to compare to "here" for contrast with in the future.

Application from their own nation will take time, work and may not even be successful...but what of the countless people who ARE in that legal process now? That's the side I just can't get past. Taking citizenship by political force is directly putting it to generations who immigrated here through the system and by the rules...as challenging as they've been to get through at times.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
It had just occurred to me that among all the government csv files and data sets I've got archived now for course work, I happen to have one that is very relevant to the topic. When people think of illegal immigrant, they seem to often think Hispanic and Mexican in particular. While that isn't unfair to say in sheer numbers, it's not at all true in the scope of the problem ...and I really DO see every illegal as equally criminal. Race, origin or circumstance totally secondary to it.

It's important to note, the numbers aren't how many were caught or known to be here or even known to be here under deportation order. It's the numbers actually deported by Gov't action, which headlines have been indicating has been reduced by policy, steadily over the years.

It certainly shows the issue to be one of true international scope though, and the funny thing is...I don't see those other nations easing anything about their immigration laws as we're demanded to do of ours. Odd about that...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kx12x

Illegal immigration is getting out of hand in the U.S. and if we don't do something it will be a real problem for U.S. citizens in the future. Mass amnesty is not the solution.

Correct! We had amnesty before and it didn't work. Since then, we have had more illegals. Millons of them!

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Disgusting. It just goes to show you that when you have more money than brains that you're a danger to those around you. I never had any respect for Mark "Sucker"berg, Now I have even less.

I don't know what else to say without breaking some T&C's, so I'll leave it at that.

top topics

join