It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Abbas Vows Arms Crackdown Before Palestinian Vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   
In his first show of strength as the new head of the PLO, Mahmoud Abbas has asked militant groups in Palestine to show restraint before the elections scheduled for January of next year. While not explicitly calling for a truce between Israel and militant groups, Abbas is asking for calm in an effort to keep Israel out of the situation.

reuters.myway.com
GAZA (Reuters) - Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas on Wednesday vowed a crackdown on armed groups operating in Palestinian areas in order to smooth the way to a Jan. 9 presidential election for a successor to Yasser Arafat.

Abbas also urged Israel to halt "aggressive" military action in the West Bank and Gaza to help him restore order before the vote in his first media interview since taking over as head of the Palestine Liberation Organization after the death of Arafat.

"Steps will be taken to end the public display or show of arms," Abbas told Reuters, saying action would be taken before the election. "We have to move on to a new era.

"We will act firmly against anyone who violates the law so that we can make the citizens feel secure."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I hope that Abbas will be able to find the balance between strict enforcer and moderate negotiator. Even if he does not eventually wind up as the leader of the Palestinian people, a strong ruler will be needed at this time to allow for a smooth transition from the only leader the Palestinians have known to the unknown.

Mahmoud Abbas had previously held the position of Prime Minister prior to Ahmed Querria. He resigned the position in disgust after Yassir Arafat was not willing to hand over control of portions of the security forces to Abbas.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Maybe he is the Mabas of Nostradamus....

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by GTWill
Maybe he is the Mabas of Nostradamus....

Gotta love a Nostradamus tie-in:

Century 2, Quatrain 62
Mabus will soon die, then will come
A horrible undoing of people and animals,
At once one will see vengeance,
One hundred powers, thirst, famine, when the comet will pass.

Personally, I hope the death of Arafat and the upcoming elections will give the Palestinians a chance at peace and a country of their own. But considering the shooting that happened Wednesday you have to wonder if Abbas does get elected - will he be assasinated by one of his own people?

B.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Boy I hope that he can come through, but I fear the worst. Both on the Isreli side and the Palestinian there are fringe elements that have no desire for peace.

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Century 2, Quatrain 62
Mabus will soon die, then will come
A horrible undoing of people and animals,
At once one will see vengeance,
One hundred powers, thirst, famine, when the comet will pass.

You know this quatrain might be true, i did some thinking this is what i came up with. If abbas = mabus he did die the killer wouldnt be someone from palestian, another country would kill him but on the third line speaks about vengeance im guessing that that country would start an all out war with israel thus creating an undoing of people and animals because their lives would be changed from this war and their be no return, who the animals are is anyone guest i dont think nostradmus would describe people as animals... With israel being weaken people would rise up. Next comes final line which is the strongest, thirst and famine. In the region around israel theirs a water crisis and water is running out golan heights if im correct, clear to see that the water would be containmated thus create thirst and famine, also no food people strongly resort to charities like red cross / cresent to give them food. (thx america keep polices coming
)

One hundred powers could mean size of army, be a bit hard to mean number of countries.

Anyone know if a comet will pass over middle east in next 6 months ?

Last thought if nostradmus did see this in his vision, i bet he saw that life goes on after it, read line four.

[edit on 18-11-2004 by udsad1]

new topics

top topics

join