It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Montana man arrested for fishing, states that "natural law" supersedes US courts.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

"MANHATTAN - It was a packed courtroom on Tuesday for the hearing of Ernie Tertelgte, a Manhattan man who says he's being wrongly prosecuted for trying to feed himself." The opening line, and the only part of the report that mentions anything about weather or not this man was trying to feed himself. Ok, i think we are inclined to beleive the defendant, but before i go and say this man has a "god given" or "naturally ocurring" right of some type i'd like to know a little bit more about the details. IMO the issue here is not weather or not the defendats argument is sound (i personally think it is) but the issue should be the stark lack of evidence towards weather or not this man was TRULY fishing for his survival or not. Is he homeless/poor? I don't know, but if he is than he should NOTbe prosecuted for ensuring his own survival, obviously. But i can say that i think far too often fishing is made into a sport rather than for ones own survival and imo that is more against any "naturally ocurring" law. So i will only agree with this man when i know beyond any shadow of a doubt that he would have gone hungry if he had not gone fishing.
edit on 11 21 2013 by victhebutcher because: accidentally removed the word NOT from a sentance

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

LeatherNLace

HomerinNC
reply to post by LeatherNLace

What this guy did is no different than a "freeloader" living off welfare. He basically said "screw it", I'm going to take what I want without contributing. If he is hungry, then he needs to get off his lazy ass and find a job.

Easy to say that when there are no real jobs around to find, right?

Could say the same thing about welfare recipients; yet, they get bashed as freeloaders, lazy, drug users, etc...

If such labels apply to welfare recipients, then it should apply to those that selfishly steal the taxpayers natural resources. You can't have it both ways. It's hypocrisy to say any different.
edit on 21-11-2013 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

Well they could get off their butts and start to grow food even if it's a window garden, at least offsetting some of the money they get from welfare. Actually I like community gardens as a way to offset the entire system. And hunters I have known some rich hunters and they'll sometimes donate some of the meat to less fortunate people (especially game hunters who don't actually like the meat). Then these people would maybe help with the community gardens or build deer stands for the hunters that way they can earn their food through hard work. But they'd hate that idea because they are freeloaders.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
OF COURSE NATURAL LAW AND CONSTITUTIONAL LAW BYPASSES ALL MADE UP RULES AND COLOR OF LAW.

And it doesnt matter 90% agree to be slaves. The constitution and common law protects all individual rights, and even minority rights.

Any law or rule that violates this is unlawful, and that is hell of alot of the laws, they are simply illegal dictaorship and toilet paper. Alas, though they know that, it still takes the majority unaware or unwilling to fight for others rights because criminal dictatorial empowered leaders don't care about what's legal or not and no one does anything about it.

However, for the few that do, KUDO's!

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   

chiefsmom
I learned a lesson, that I still believe in today, from my grandmother.
When younger, I was staying with her, in late summer in the woods up north. It was dusk, and we heard a gunshot. Well, I knew it wasn't deer season, so I asked what they were hunting. She said deer. I said, isn't that illegal. She told me that yes, it was, but there was a lot of people up there that were poor, and that they were just putting food on the table.

Most of the time the game wardens around here will only go after the high profile stuff. Like 10 dear handing from the barn door during season. They know folks kill dear to eat and don't make a fuss about it.

Its also a state where collisions with dear are among the leading cause of bad traffic accidents out on the freeway. Seems to me the auto insurance industry would get with the state and put a bounty out on Mr and Mrs Whitetail. Our state does have a very generous number on the amount of deer a hunter can take legally. I think its 7 if taken in all affects. Its hard for the state and do gooders to complain about "poachers" when there are dead dear all over the highway and so many living ones that they put commercial and private farmers/subsistence gardens in straits.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Ok... From a avid fisherman... That would be me, I love my bass fishing~

It's a dumb law, teach a man to fish feed him for life (If he has and can afford a liscence) Ever buy a outta state liscence??? Buko bucks!!! It's almost highway robbery.

Everyone should know the fishing laws and requirements for "keepers" wherever they go, I have seen pochers taking out fish that they should have when I was younger. Now in my older age, I walk past and kick the bucket over and RUN LIKE FOREST!!! Regardless, there's been many ponds around me that have been fished clean, it's takes a long time for the population to get big again.

Sometimes I forget my liscence and just go out, at the same time, if I see green pants and boots walking towards me I start walking the other way in lew of me getting caught. I've been fishing since I was 2-4 with my grandpa and father, I love it! Best past time for me and most relaxing.

I can understand this man, though I don't recommend heckling a judge either.... I did find it funny though!!!

It's just another revenue intake for the states.

Understandable, you need a hunting liscence, and tags so why would fishing be any different?

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Exactly, anyone fishing or hunting to feed themselves or their family is fine in my book. The commercial fishermen, trophy hunters and the greedy need regulated. Also if it's you land, you have the right to hunt and fish on it without a license but I'm sure not all areas feel that way about it.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
First, I have bought a fishing license sense I was old enough to be required to. I am a sport fishermam and very rarely keep my catch.
If this man was truly only fishing for food, I'm sure he could have found a more secluded spot, especially in Montana, where the game warden never visits .I live in Ohio and I could find such a place.
I believe his intentions were exactly what happened, he only wanted the attention.
There are thousands of private lakes and ponds where a license is not required, only permission, and most of the owners are more than happy to let someone thin out over population.

Call a rat a rat, hes getting what he deserves.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
The impressive, inspiring part is that he was right.

And this:

spartacus699
Listen if you haven't figured it out yet I'll try and explain something....

In school we're brainwashed into believing we have all these rights and freedoms. That's pretty typical in developed nations. But we don't. It's just an illusion to have us believe that places like Cdn and the Us are the most free countries in the world, when infact, nothing could be closer to the truth. The you es has the largest prison population in the world by far. It's far worse than Nazi germany with cdn not so far behind. But again we're brainwashed into actually beliving that we're living in free countires where people have rights and freedoms. It's BS

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

InTheLight

I don't know what your government does with the fishing licence dollars, but here's what mine uses it for.

www.gofishbc.com...

I don't know what your government is thinking but they certainly know how to sell a scheme.
Licensing and curtailing one's right to feed himself isn't the ideal and only way to conservation. Education would have been a lot better. Do they mention and have you even considered the costs associated in implementing the program, hiring personnel, reinforcing the law, punishing those who refuse to obey? I bet these costs would have been more than enough to fund conservation efforts all across Canada!

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I don't know how it could get out of control. I know someone who grew tomatoes in Philadelphia and was my neighbor. He kept insisting me and my kids were eating his tomatoes, turns out the cat that was eating our other neighbors' pond fish were eating his tomatoes, lol, I caught the cat and told my neighbor I had seen it eating his tomatoes. Anyway the point is his tomatoes all grew right next to my fence I had no problem with it and it wasn't Zoned for agriculture. It was as urban as you can get. I can't think of anything like growing your own food would get "Out of control". Except fruit trees which may land fruit on neighbor's yards, but to me that's a blessing And will be collected far in advance of rotting and smelling lol. My friend had a neighbor in Florida who she hated because of all the starfruit dropping on her property. I told her let me know whenever that happens I'll come pick it up and I did, I collected every piece, and ate all of them that could be eaten and tossed the ones that couldn't be (Starting to go bad) Into my compost. It's all in how you look at it. I would never be able to fathom turning a neighbor in for their garden. Of course I'd offer my help with it with the hopes of reaping some benefits (like some of the harvest) If it did get out of control.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The fish that we eat belong to nobody...If Im hungry I take from the land. If a neighbour is hungry I give from the land.... We are all born and die with nothing, but with so much. Nobody has the right to tell anyone what, where or how to feed themselves from the land we walk on....We have got way too big for our boots, thinking we own the earth and its systems. We are just a spec of sand on it, control none of it and wont even leave our mark on it..... eat to survive, you dont need to pay to do it.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

I foresee a day where government controls all of the food. If you can control the food, you can control the people.

Hum ?!? They already do... where have you been !??! Not only the food but the air and water...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Kurius

InTheLight

I don't know what your government does with the fishing licence dollars, but here's what mine uses it for.

www.gofishbc.com...

I don't know what your government is thinking but they certainly know how to sell a scheme.
Licensing and curtailing one's right to feed himself isn't the ideal and only way to conservation. Education would have been a lot better. Do they mention and have you even considered the costs associated in implementing the program, hiring personnel, reinforcing the law, punishing those who refuse to obey? I bet these costs would have been more than enough to fund conservation efforts all across Canada!

As per the information in the link, they also receive donations from regular citizens, First Nations and Crown corporations...because some people care about our environment and the protection and conservation of the habitat for which the dwindling wildlife depend.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Panic2k11

I foresee a day where government controls all of the food. If you can control the food, you can control the people.

Hum ?!? They already do... where have you been !??! Not only the food but the air and water...

There's a remedy for that...buy land, grown your own food and collect and purify water or rainwater for potable drinking water. Simple.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

hoss53
First, I have bought a fishing license sense I was old enough to be required to. I am a sport fishermam and very rarely keep my catch.

Call a rat a rat, hes getting what he deserves.

So you been doin right by the man from your youth.....and hardly ever keep anything you catch. Why you're just a danged saint!

Which qualifies you to call someone a rat!

By the way muskrats around here are way up in price....around 5 a pop.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

InTheLight

Panic2k11

There's a remedy for that...buy land, grown your own food and collect and purify water or rainwater for potable drinking water. Simple.

OH what I wouldn't give to do just that, sadly, like most poor slobs here in the USA I could never ever afford to, especially since I refuse to ever have a mortgage so it's going to have to be cash up front, which in my case I could maybe afford if I was an immortal vampire after 3000 or so years of working steadily at the same job. Even though I am trained as a skilled worker in a supposedly "Up and coming field" of technology, though I can't seem to actually find a job in that field even with my knowledge (no experience just finished) so well, I can see how this would be ideal but not plausible for most of us.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

The funny thing about people who violate is that seventy five percent of them do not need the food, they have jobs where they make a living wage. That is how it is around here anyway. To them it is the thrill of getting away with it that is what they like.

If I was bad off or my kids or grandkids were hungry, I would go shoot a deer without a license if I couldn't afford to buy one. I would also fish without a license if their was a need.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

ldyserenity

InTheLight

Panic2k11

OH what I wouldn't give to do just that, sadly, like most poor slobs here in the USA I could never ever afford to, especially since I refuse to ever have a mortgage so it's going to have to be cash up front, which in my case I could maybe afford if I was an immortal vampire after 3000 or so years of working steadily at the same job. Even though I am trained as a skilled worker in a supposedly "Up and coming field" of technology, though I can't seem to actually find a job in that field even with my knowledge (no experience just finished) so well, I can see how this would be ideal but not plausible for most of us.

Where there's a will, there's a way. One good idea is forming a victory garden committee and asking a neighbor(s) or your town/city to use vacant land to grow food as the people did during times of food shortage.

www.victorygardenfoundation.org...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
The guy is from Manhattan and presumably flies to Montana but can't afford a fishing license? really?

I think if you and your family are starving to death, the laws MAY not apply. I have read where in situations of life and death some laws don't. But obviously this guy isnt starving to death.

I have no pity for the guy. He is an ass in my book. A lot of money goes into keeping fish pops up these days and the state owns those fish, as well as they own the deer here in Michigan right up until one jumps in front of my truck lol...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   

rickymouse
reply to post by chiefsmom

The funny thing about people who violate is that seventy five percent of them do not need the food, they have jobs where they make a living wage. That is how it is around here anyway. To them it is the thrill of getting away with it that is what they like.

If I was bad off or my kids or grandkids were hungry, I would go shoot a deer without a license if I couldn't afford to buy one. I would also fish without a license if their was a need.

Well maybe the guy was and maybe he was taking a stand of principle. Maybe he was trying to open up people's eyes and awaken them with a slap to the face. Even if he wasn't feeding his family, maybe he's just taking a stance against the injustice of it. That already makes him better than half the rich a-holes I know. But you could be right he could just be a greedy a-hole but regardless the entire thing brought light to a serious flaw in the system because it's been covered by the media, even if it's unintentional, I'm kind of glad he did it and is sticking to his guns. Me I wouldn't have raised hell in court, I'd have simply gone away quietly, so there'd be no coverage, and I wouldn't have awakened debate. So do the ends justify the means? In this case probably.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join