Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

13 Interesting Facts About Left-Handers

page: 3
22
<< 1  2   >>

log in

join

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by sled735
 


I started learning how to play the guitar only recently (left-handed guitar), because I couldn't adapt playing the guitar right handed while I was a kid! I was playing the drums at that time, which was easier for lefties, but I do like making actual music.


Interesting post, S&F!




posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by sled735
 


Apparently left handed geniuses are pretty slow, if 20% of MENSA members say they are left handed what does that make the other 80%?

How does that make left handed people more likely to be geniuses? 20% of a club of smart people are left, handed the others by process of elimination are right handed....

Am I wrong? That means 80% of MENSA members are right handed...



posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
what i find intersting is im right handed, supposedly caught early by my father and made me make the switch because as a tradesman he knew id struggle with tools when i was old enough to use them. But the intersting thing is im left foot dominant in all sports, but i still favour spinning to the right when im on a bike or riding a skateboard or in a boxing stance, but my lower half and upper half want to swing opposite ways. I guess it might not be as much of an issue for someone who doesnt play a lot of bal sport or ride a bike or skateboard, but its an intersting interaction between your senses none the less



posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus
 


We will swap the clip on the knife. But on a Spyderco knife I am not about to start dismantling it.


I shoot right with a rifle due to being blind (functionally and legally) in my left eye.



posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 03:11 AM
link   
2 righties only have 2% chance of having a lefty. Yet 4/5 of my boys are lefties, and they have learning disabilities/apraxia, but my oldest, right handed is the gifted one, high intelligence.

Not sure I agree with all those points, for we went through speech therapy, occuptional therapy, and it is known by the professionals that left handed are more boys than girls, but they're also clustered into wiring disorders, such as apraxia, speech disorders, learning disorders. Doesn't mean they can't succeed, in fact intelligent learning disabled may be highly motivated to make a success of themselves in their own businesses, because they had a harder time in peer groups/school, so are more independent.



posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk
 





Lefties live nine years less then righties...thats worrying, I'm nearly 60!


dont worry about that i think the study done looked at the demise of left peeps over time. it did not take into account that some lefties where converted into righties by schools and parents..



posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
My mother is left handed and my father is right handed and I am predominantly right handed...

But as a child I spent a great deal more time with my mom, due to my dad always working night shifts, but because of this I seem to do things the opposite way around to what normal right handed people do....

I kick a football with my right foot, from a standing jump I use my right foot and I throw a ball with my right hand, but when firing a rifle, playing table tennis, using a snooker/pool cue and eating snacks from a packet I use my left hand....

I have been a bit of a shark on occasions when playing pool, especially when I can use both right and my left hands, but does tend to piss people off when they realise....



posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Thank you to everyone who has posted.


From what you all are saying, it seems this study is way off the mark! Maybe they need to do a recount!



posted on Nov, 26 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

purplemer
reply to post by VoidHawk
 





Lefties live nine years less then righties...thats worrying, I'm nearly 60!


dont worry about that i think the study done looked at the demise of left peeps over time. it did not take into account that some lefties where converted into righties by schools and parents..


I'm so glad you mentioned that. Throughout my entire childhood they tried to convert me to be right handed, they verged on treating me like I was odd! I was a confident little [snip] when I was a kid so their efforts didnt bother me.
My parents were fine, it was just the schools.

I had a period of unemployment a while back, and was trying to get the job center to help with the cost of renewing some expired certificates. They sent me to another building where I was supposed to get the help. I filled in the form and was told - "We can sign you up for a course on basic english and maths"
I said [snip][snip], and their reply? while looking at the form I'd just completed she said "We can help you with your hand writing too"
I'm sure you to imagine my response to that


So, it seems even now, at almost 60 years of age, these stupid people think I need to be helped because I'm left handed.
I'd like to know why they think left handers are odd, who is responsible for this? Is this a CONSPIRACY!!!!
lol



posted on Dec, 4 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Hijinx
reply to post by sled735
 


Apparently left handed geniuses are pretty slow, if 20% of MENSA members say they are left handed what does that make the other 80%?

How does that make left handed people more likely to be geniuses? 20% of a club of smart people are left, handed the others by process of elimination are right handed....

Am I wrong? That means 80% of MENSA members are right handed...


It's all about proportions.

If only 1 out of 10 humans are left-handed. Only 10% of humans are lefties and 90% are righties. Compare that to 2 out of 10 (1 out of 5) Mensa members; 20% lefty and 80% righty. That means that the ratio of lefties vs. righties in Mensa is double that of the normal population.

So, yes, 80% of Mensa are right-handed. But thats a significant drop considering the pool that they draw from are 90% right-handed.



posted on Oct, 8 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
Sorry 4 delayed response. Is there any way to have ATS email or somehow inform me on ATS itself when I get a reply?

Anyways, my left side is weaker than my right but feels more accurate than my right. I guess that is due to writing and using eating utensils with it. I still have no idea why my left side is stronger than my right in martial arts though considering my right is overly dominant in all other athletics. I think it may be a balance issue, where my right side is more comfortable planting it's weight, giving me, well, duh, balance and firmness, heh, allowing my "fine motor skill" left side to perform more than aptly strength wise. One thing about martial arts, when I go to the ground(wrestling, judo, jiu-jitsu, etc.) I become wholly dominant right sided again. I guess I am just crooked so to speak, lol. Peace!



posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Gyo01

You can see who has replied to you on threads by going to your mailbox and clicking on the two little quote boxes.



posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: BeReasonable
what i find intersting is im right handed, supposedly caught early by my father and made me make the switch because as a tradesman he knew id struggle with tools when i was old enough to use them.


This is kind of true, For me I don't struggle with tools but I just look very very awkward using them. I had one guy who said hey let me do that your going to hurt yourself and I was like uh ok. But it's a tool I have used before and I've never had problems using a tool, Just that is looks very very awkward.
edit on 9-10-2014 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 9 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: sled735

Why couldn't it had been about Quantum Physics. So I could have came in here crapped on the whole thing by saying well you know "Those left hands are nothing without the RIGHT"





new topics

top topics



 
22
<< 1  2   >>

log in

join