It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

13 Interesting Facts About Left-Handers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Interesting list. But, if 20% of MENSA members are reported as being left-handed, wouldn't that mean that the vast majority of the members are right-handed? (With a few ambidextrous in there, I'm sure.)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sled735

If 20% of lefties are MENSA members, that means that lefties aren't geniuses. There is something wrong with that.

Side note: I am a lefty.

and interesting tidbit: Mensa means "dumbass" in Spanish. Ahh, sweet irony!

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

dollukka
In autism left handed is majority. Left handed is not necessary cause of genes instead trauma in gestation or during the birth. Many left handed are likely to be dyslexic and to stutter. Also premature babies are more likely left handed. Left handed also suffer more with asthma and allergies than right handed. Left handed die 9 years earlier than right handed.
In Medieval era left handed were believed to be devil´s advocates and witches.. Eskimo´s believed left handed to be sorcerers.

Interesting. I have none of the above....except the allergies. I am not allergic to much, but I have mild-moderate autoimmune disease processes at play.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Hah you brought up the one thing this righty does left handed. I shoot left handed ....
. My right eye is pretty weak compared to my left eye so I naturally aimed with the left when I was younger with the bb gun. I never thought it was wierd until I shot real guns then I found out I was weird.

When I shot one of my buddies will inevitably say " I didnt know your left handed." Nope just for shooting.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I am certain the reason why we have a shorter life span, is due to the fact that we do live in a right handed world. Certainly causing more accidental deaths. I always seem to never find coffee lids at a gas station as fast as many. To name a few.. So I would guess we just go left when everyone else goes right

Spiral notebooks!! Grr. Chalkboards too!!

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
My two grandparents, both righties, had 5 kids- all lefties (my dad and his siblings). All of which went on to have 2 kids, the oldest being a leftie and the second child being a rightie in every family.

I have always enjoyed being a leftie. I do many things ambidextrous but I use scissors and golf strictly right- handed.
I find that there are distinct degrees of lefthandedness. My father, for example is a strict leftie and can't do much with his right hand at AT&T. He even built his house for lefthanded people (where doors open opposite, where electrical outlets are located, where stair railings are, etc).

Other than one old-school teacher who used to rap my knuckles for my left-handed ness, I have never had any issues with it and I really wished that one of my kids had inherited it
. But alas!

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I'm a lefty, but not on the Left! After college, I started growing up! Some of you will get this, some of you never will.

Many things are correct. I'm a dark chocoholic to a mild degree. My problem is that I don't drink enough alcohol, if at all. I don't have an addictive personality, thank heaven.

I play sports on both sides. I wish I played hockey left handed which is a benefit, due to older brothers with right handed sticks, I learned the right or wrong way!#&!.
Same thing with baseball gloves, we only had right handed gloves. That was good because my friends and I used to fight to Be AL Kaline when playing in our back yards. I loved Dick McCaulif (spell?) too because he was a lefty and had the coolest batting stance when at the plate for the Tigers.

As far as writing is concerned, I used to turn my papers or angle them in grade school to mimic the good looking girls that I had crushes on and while sitting next to them(I had my priorities!)(1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th grade) and try to write like them, keep in mind, they were right handed. Why? I have no clue. Their papers were always cleaner and their cursive writing was so much better so I thought mine would look like theirs if I did what they did.

I could write a book on this stuff that I can't make up.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MoxieNow

The safety on my 32 Winchester and Glock is for right handers.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   

PRS395
reply to post by MoxieNow

The safety on my 32 Winchester and Glock is for right handers.

Most all safety's are for righties, unless you get a custom build or something manufactured for a lefty.

My two sons are lefty. For the oldest, getting him tennis lessons was difficult. For the youngest....i had to drive 6 hours to buy him a rifle. He has a thing for bolt action (it is more accurate). So when I bought him his first rifle it was a remington 770 30-06 bolt action. On the first hunt he only got 1 shot off when he likely could have taken a second shot on hogs running out of the clearing. So we HAD to get him a left hand bolt action. Savage made a decent one so we drove to Cabela's in Austin to get it.

The other problem was the semiauto's tend to eject hot brass into his face and down the back of his shirt.

I am a lefty, but I am ambidextrous. I can shoot either way, but generally with a rifle go right. Since I shoot a lever action 30-30 more often then not, it isn't an issue either way. But for him....the safety is dangerous for a lefty (Marlin).

In firearms, the differences can be problematic, for sure. Same with knives. I could write a thesis on the problems you can have as a lefty if you aren't careful with a pocket knife.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

3n19m470
I would be willing to bet that at least 20% of atsers are left handed. Maybe even 25-30%.

I'm glad I'm left handed
It gives me my weird sense of humor that keeps me entertained at all times.

Yes, both sides of the brain are free to make playful fun of the other without being insulting, because left handed people are oredominantly right brained.

A right handed person isn't as likely to make the same kind of connections, because their more logical and Spock-like.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
spiral notebooks aren't too bad for me, I hate when filling out a fishing license the book you have to fill out is in like a flip book kind of thing (think of a garfield flip book) and if your left handed it's almost impossible to be able to write in there.

I hate having to use a knife also, I am the only person in my family that is left handed so when I was learning things I had to do them backwards, so when eating steak I have to put my fork in the meat put the knife in my left hand and cut it while holding the fork in my right hand, and then switch over to put the fork in my left hand. It's pretty goofy looking.

Though I am pretty good at using a 10 key calculator as I can do the calculator with my right hand and write out the numbers or whatever with my left.

I'm ambidextrous in some areas (I can play guitar left or right handed, throwing a football I can throw both ways too) but writing and some other things I am left handed only. Any stick sport I am right handed.

Eating out is a bit of a chore I can only sit in 2 areas otherwise I will be bumping elbows with people.

bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by sled735

If 20% of lefties are MENSA members, that means that lefties aren't geniuses. There is something wrong with that.

Side note: I am a lefty.

it's right, it's kind of weird but because there are fewer left handed people in the world than right handed people, it's a higher percentage of left handed people than right handed people in mensa.
edit on 24-11-2013 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
My strong arm and leg is left

shot a gun with my left

left eye dominant...

I eat with my right

write with my right

... with my right

So whats that say about a mix... do i get best of both worlds?

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Left handed is not necessary cause of genes instead trauma in gestation or during the birth
reply to post by dollukka

No, it is indeed definitely genetic.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
There is no evidence for any of this nonsense. I was born neither left handed or right handed. When my Ma asked me which hand I wanted to use to learn writing, I chose my left hand. I cannot write with my right hand to this day although I assume that if I practice it will become just as my left.

I kick (martial art wise) with my left leg but if I play soccer I kick with my right leg.

I throw a baseball with my right.
I bat righty (baseball as well).
I shoot a basketball righty.
I play guitar lefty.
I shoot a gun lefty.
I...
What handed am I?
Is it really decided by what hand I WRITE with?

I box lefty because I am quicker with my left arm and more accurate, but my right arm is WAY more powerful, uppercuts and sideswings I use my right, regular punches... you guessed it... left. That is tactical in nature. I always switch it up to be unpredictable though.

I am obviously not left handed or right handed, neither am I ambridexious. I am freaking crooked.
edit on 24-11-2013 by Gyo01 because: error

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Gyo01
There is no evidence for any of this nonsense. I was born neither left handed or right handed. When my Ma asked me which hand I wanted to use to learn writing, I chose my left hand. I cannot write with my right hand to this day although I assume that if I practice it will become just as my left.

I kick (martial art wise) with my left leg but if I play soccer I kick with my right leg.

I throw a baseball with my right.
I bat righty (baseball as well).
I shoot a basketball righty.
I play guitar lefty.
I shoot a gun lefty.
I...
What handed am I?
Is it really decided by what hand I WRITE with?

I box lefty because I am quicker with my left arm and more accurate, but my right arm is WAY more powerful, uppercuts and sideswings I use my right, regular punches... you guessed it... left. That is tactical in nature. I always switch it up to be unpredictable though.

I am obviously not left handed or right handed, neither am I ambridexious. I am freaking crooked.
edit on 24-11-2013 by Gyo01 because: error

which hand do you use for your fine motor skills? that is which "handed" you are. Although you sound like me....mostly ambidextrous.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I'm left-handed too, but ambidextrous with things like eating, throwing snowballs and using a mouse.

The worst thing for me was playing 3D war games like Counterstrike, hiding behind a doorway with my left side exposed, and throwing a grenade. The game was always use the right hand, so I'd end up with a live grenade at my feet

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Yeah. My dominant eye is my right eye, so that made me cock my head funny when shooting, even though I shoot with both eyes open.

Knives. Loosen up the star-bolt and take off the thumbscrew; then they're good to go for either hand.

I think lefties find a way to equalize things.......... except for that pesky "going in the out door" thang at supermarkets.

My Mom sent me a left-handed can opener. Completely useless. Left-handed scissors, however are useful, in that they don't bash the top of a person's thumb.

I went into a Lefty store in San Francisco once. Waste of time. Can you believe.......... there was actually a hammer in there? WTH??

Now, a bolt-action rifle modified to lefty, that has merit; the reachover costs us precious mili-seconds, and as you said, sometimes causes a unsavory eject -- depending upon the firearm. My father gave me a Winchester Model 94 in .44 magnum. Clunky round, even it semi-wadcutter, but I made it work.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Gyo01

I would guess that choosing to play guitar lefty is a bummer -- you can rarely pick up a guitar anywhere and play it. I wanted to play guitar lefty, but chose to learn righty so I could play wherever I went.

One of the few sound decisions in my life.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe
So you are generally richer and smarter but don't usually live as long and are more apt to become an alcoholic?

Well played Mother Nature.... Well Played.

burn twice as Bright and not to last ? and more Emotional ?

LOL
mmm wait a Minute!!

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned so very very brightly, Roy. Look at you. You're the prodigal son. You're quite a prize! Tyrell.. ( Movie Quote Blade Runner )

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

argentus
reply to post by Gyo01

I would guess that choosing to play guitar lefty is a bummer -- you can rarely pick up a guitar anywhere and play it. I wanted to play guitar lefty, but chose to learn righty so I could play wherever I went.

One of the few sound decisions in my life.

It's not bad and it makes you a little more unique. You just have to learn how to play upside down sometimes.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join