It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iran Seeks to Mate Missile, Nuclear Warhead:UPDATE 11/19/04: Disclosures On Iran Unverified

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
According to outgoing Secretary of State Colin Powell, Iran may be working on the technology needed to deliver a nuclear weapon via a ballistic missile. Powell was quoted as saying "I have seen some information that would suggest they have been actively working on delivery systems ... you don't have a weapon until you can put it in something that can deliver a weapon," Officials in the U.S. government have estimated that Iran is 3-5 years away.

UPDATE 11/19/04: Nuclear Disclosures On Iran Unverified
Recent revelation about Iran�s nuclear program made by departing Secretary of State Colin Powell were culled from information received from a single walk in source and have not been verified by other means.

Secretary of State Colin L. Powell shared information with reporters Wednesday about Iran's nuclear program that was classified and based on an unvetted, single source who provided information that two U.S. officials said yesterday was highly significant if true but has not yet been verified.

Singe Source

story.news.yahoo.com
MANAUS, Brazil (Reuters) - The United States has seen information suggesting Iran is working on the technology to deliver a nuclear warhead on a missile, Secretary of State Colin Powell said on Wednesday.

"I have seen some information that would suggest they have been actively working on delivery systems ... you don't have a weapon until you can put it in something that can deliver a weapon," he told reporters during a brief stop in Brazil on his way to an Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation meeting in Chile.

"I'm talking about what one does with a warhead," Powell said. "We are talking about information that says they not only have (the) missiles but information that suggests they are working hard about how to put the two together."

The United States accuses Iran of seeking to develop nuclear weapons and wants the matter to be addressed by the U.N. Security Council, which could impose sanctions. Tehran says its nuclear program is aimed at generating electricity.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This really is starting to feel like deja vue. We are seeing more and more indications being mentioned by senior White House officials about the clear and present danger that Iran represents. The data is strikingly similar to the pre war Iraqi intelligence as well. What we may be seeing here is the consequences of the fundamental failure to deal with North Korea. Plenty of blame to spread about on that one. From Bush Sr. To Clinton, and now our current President, we have lack a clear decisive plan to deal with the Koreans. Now other nations see how Kim can force his way around and seek to emulate that stance.

[edit on 11/19/04 by FredT]

[edit on 11/19/04 by FredT]

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Perhaps the administration is starting to slowly brainwash us, I mean influence our thinking, in preparation for the time when we will be told that Iran is an immediate threat and, as much as we hate to, a pre-emptive strike is necessary.

Although I can't imagine how we can afford another Iraq. UNLESS, that is, the invasion is paid for by OIL assets captured.

Considering the new cabinet, nothing would surprise me ...

posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
First off it seems their intelligence is provided by the opposition party in Iran. Second... kind of hard to have a nuclear missile without a nuclear warhead. Its the same misinformation campaign used to justify war in Iraq. I for one don't buy it. And even IF they had a nuke why would I care? Their range only impacts people in that region. And if that is the justification then we need to worry about Israel, Pakistan and India.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
First off it seems their intelligence is provided by the opposition party in Iran.

Indy, this is a good point. the information was provided by an opposition group. Kind of similar to the opposition groups that stated that iraq had WMD's too

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Their actions are so transparent I wonder why people would not see it. They had a battle plans years ago.

If anything, this administration is not boring.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justanotherperson
Their actions are so transparent I wonder why people would not see it. They had a battle plans years ago.

Perhaps, but remeber the Pentagon has battle plans for everything. The U.S. simply cannot invade Iran without a DSI type coalition. ALl the major countires in Europe would have to participate along with China and Russia as we are stretched way to thin. If Iran was a neocon goal, they might not have counted on Iraq taking so long.

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Recent revelation about Iran�s nuclear program made by departing Secretary of State Colin Powell were culled from information received from a single walk in source and have not been verified by other means.

Secretary of State Colin L. Powell shared information with reporters Wednesday about Iran's nuclear program that was classified and based on an unvetted, single source who provided information that two U.S. officials said yesterday was highly significant if true but has not yet been verified.

Singe Source

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Goodness, didn�t you all understand this back when Bush made his �Axis of Evil� speech. We basically declared war on 3 countries at that time. The moves on Iraq and Afghanistan are pincer moves for an invasion of Iran.

Bush just can�t come out and state that without starting WWIII so he�s using more subtle tactics. (sorry..needed to edit this: WWIII *IS* currently under way...the world just hasn't come to terms with that yet).

Never for a moment doubt that Iran would love to destroy America and has been actively working towards that end for 30 years. Also, make no mistake that N. Korea has been doing the same for a longer period of time.

I�m pretty sure if you look at Bush�s strategic moves in this light everything makes sense. We WILL invade Iran and then we will overthrow or invade N. Korea. It�s just a matter of time.

Guess what? You burn our flag and declare to the world you are at war with us then instead of ignoring you ala Jimmy Carter, we�re going to take you at your word and do something about it.

Also, 2-3 divisions should be enough to handle Iran. Actually, a division on each side and a modest air-campaign might be enough to weaken the mullah�s military over time. Enough to destabilize them so an invasion is much easier.

Who knows, perhaps Iran is smart enough not to wait for their neck to be put on the chopping block next and will launch an offensive.

Wonder when winter starts over there next year�

[edit on 11/19/2004 by MrNice]

posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Don't you find it ironic that many Americans decide not to trust one source, when it comes to intelligence from other countries, yet when one source from the U.S. government supposedly comes forth with information that shows some form of scandal that the US is involved on, these same Americans, and others, accept this as the truth?...

I am sure there is more than one source, but this one has direct access to the material.

top topics

join