It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Psychic' Sylvia Browne dead at 77

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   

World famous psychic Sylvia Browne -- who appeared on all sorts of TV shows including "Montel" "Larry King Live" and "Unsolved Mysteries" -- has passed away .. TMZ has learned.

Browne specialized in psychic detective work, and attempted to help on several missing person cases ... with varying results.

Browne's son, Chris, tells TMZ ... Sylvia passed away this morning in San Jose, surrounded by family and friends. She was 77.

Sylvia Browne

I'm sure TMZ isn't legit journalism, but they are up to date on deaths.

I for one do not know how to express my feelings on the matter, being interested in psychics and mysticism. But I do have a feeling that she probably was a hack regarding her track record.

I'm sure there are some of her fans on ATS, so despite her legacy, at least say a few kind words.

Apologies for the jumbled typing...I'm half-asleep here.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   

TheToastmanCometh
I'm sure there are some of her fans on ATS, so despite her legacy, at least say a few kind words.

Or in other words, hold the truth and just say what makes people happy.
She spent her life doing that.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

She spent her life doing that.

I'd say that's pretty darn fair!

Well I personally harbor ill feelings towards anyone that knowlignly lies about supernatural matters. That said, death sucks. Wish none of us experienced it until we decided we were ready. So my condolences to her and anyone she left behind that is in mourning

edit on 21-11-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I wonder if she saw it coming?

Somebody had to ask....

She comforted a lot of people. Arguing whether it was morally right could last for ages. My condolences to her family.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Aw...I hate hearing someone died...the families left behind suffer. My condolences to her friends,family,and followers...I rememeber in the 90's a small group of 5 women at work got together and paid for a half hour phone conference with her. It cost them $500.00 and they each pitched in $100. They each got 3-4 questions answered. I don't know if any of it came true?...personally I thought it was alittle too expensive.but...I suppose as long as she helped people, right?

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

CRAP. I came in here specifically to say that...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by TheToastmanCometh

Sylvia Brown and her family made a good living off her teachings and, ah, readings. Two family members went to see a public event of hers two years ago and the tickets were going for a hundred dollars, and they thought she was faking her readings at the event with very little unknown information coming through to the few people lucky enough to be picked by her for a reading. She did show up a lot of TV for awhile, had a show in Vegas, and did write many books which inspired many people. (posted this on another thread and moved it to this earlier one. Sylvia would have known there was an earlier thread, and not bothered. I bet she has quite the wake and funeral!)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Some of her predictions although seemingly common sense were spot on. I always enjoyed listening to these predictions on Coastotcoast am.

Just a few from several years ago:

...Our elderly are not cared for properly either financially or medically. ...Some death row inmates are innocent. ...Some elected officials and large corporations do not think of the welfare of the people as a high priority - they'd rather just increase their bank accounts. I predict we'll develop strong resolve and resources to address these problems and come up with some good solutions.

RIP Sylvia
edit on am1130amThu, 21 Nov 2013 07:08:11 -0600 by antar because: comp virus...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
She was a fraud and con-artist. She always avoided taking the Amazing Randi's $1 million dollar psychic challenge to prove her abilities because she knew she was a charlatan and couldn't command her $750 per half hour telephone reading fee. Back in 2004 she told Amanda Berry's mom that Amanda was dead. Here she was alive and rescued recently after a decade in captivity.
edit on 21-11-2013 by UnBreakable because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Thanks for sharing!

Here is my take on Sylvia...

She had people always asking her questions and so she had to rely either on spirits showing up to tell her things or she had to guess to save face.

Seems to me she was more of a medical psychic although she did solve murder mysteries.

I read all of her books along with any and all on the subject of the after life. My step son was terminally ill for five years and they all, including hers, helped me cope.

So for me.. I say no matter whether she was gifted or faked it all.. she helped many people. Not many people can die and have helped thousands.

Rest in Peace Sylvia.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by UnBreakable

Browne subsequently posted a statement on her website saying, "If ever there was a time to be grateful and relieved for being mistaken, this is that time. Only God is right all the time."

In her defense...

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

So for me.. I say no matter whether she was gifted or faked it all.. she helped many people. Not many people can die and have helped thousands.

Well different perspectives on that. On whether it really helped them or not in the grand scheme of things. That's a loaded idea. Sure they might have felt comfort in the lie (that being the case), but what ramifications might have come along with it as a result.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
and practicing witch.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

I didn't know her personally nor have I obtained a reading from her so I can't base my perception on anything except how she helped me by writing a book and me reading it.

She is dead and I only ask for her to rest in peace. We all have things we have done that may not have been so "right". Who am I to judge?

AS far as the challenge. It is my opinion that the million dollar challenge is or was a test that sets someone up to fail. Even Randi himself was quoted as saying " I always have an out". Who knows.. as I have not seen the test myself to really know for sure if it's a failure from the start.

All I know is Sylvia was in the spotlight for years and years and while she may have been wrong in regards to her predictions I do believe she helped thousands.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Yes, she "helped" thousands by relieving them of hundreds of dollars when she knew people would be the most vulnerable with the hope of contacting a beloved departed family member.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I think she was gifted but I also think she was a liar. She was gifted in the sense that she was very believable. She was entertaining to watch. However every prediction she would make I kept thinking to myself "well that's common sense". I do not believe in psychics at all. Seems wrong to make a living that way and some (I'm not saying Sylvia) do it because they have a mental disorder that makes them crave this special attention.

IMHO she just found a really good way to make money. I don't think it's right but it's legal so. RIP Sylvia.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
My mother and I were just speaking of her the other day!

She was one of the first psychics that I watched on television and she helped me understand what I was, why I was different.

I don't believe she is resting peacefully on the other side. She's a light worker - now she is free to really move about and continue on with her work! Such a dynamic, beautiful soul. I will miss her.

My well wishes go out to her family. She was one of those people that are a wonder, and she always said - she won't miss this this place when she passes on to the other side - but I will most assuredly - miss her.

Blessings,
CirqueDeTruth

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Good riddance. Sylvia Browne was a fraud of the worst sort. She made her fortune on the pain and longing of the mournful. I am 100% convinced she was a vulture of the most vile moral character. While I am in no position to pass judgement on her everlasting soul, I hope for her sake she came clean before the one who is, prior to her passing.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

UnBreakable
reply to post by MamaJ

Yes, she "helped" thousands by relieving them of hundreds of dollars when she knew people would be the most vulnerable with the hope of contacting a beloved departed family member.

That's your opinion and while it may be true she has helped thousands. Are you able to judge her merits? Can you weigh her good and bad accurately?

I can't.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Not to sound insensitive, but I've noticed lately on ATS that anytime there is a story about anything in any forum that includes a death as part of the story, people start posting about how awful death is...prayers...so on.
Even though the topic of the thread is not focused on the death, but an event, sighting, whatever.

I know this thread isn't quite like that as it is focused on (IMO) the frauds death....

But it seems like ATSers sometimes forget that on average 107 people die every minute. Should ATS just turn into a site that lowers its head 24/7 lamenting over one of the few guaranteed facets of life??

I agree its sad that people die, but sometimes I just think "c'mon people".
edit on 11/21/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join