It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paging, Piers Morgan: Gun Violence Explodes In England

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Ireland is part of the British Isles. The islands are geographical and not political.
But I would call the Irish well Irish.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by fenian8

Please feel free to start a thread in the relevant Forum and I'd welcome the opportunity to discuss this and other related issues at length there without derailing this thread. I'm sure it'd be a lively, passionate yet hopefully civilized debate.

If you think I'm some sort of tree hugging, idealistic hippy type I think you've seriously mis-read me.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Aye, like Scandinavia.

Perhaps im wrong about the Irish/British thing, the Irish made a big impact on the early USA as did "the British" i guess they kept more of their global [and separate] identity than i previously thought.

I like the Irish and the Scotts, we can sit around all day and bitch about England

When we are not involved in a pub joke anyway

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   

benrl
reply to post by scotsdavy1

It has nothing to do with fear, a common European misconception.

Coming from a country that actually fought off their English oppressors with guns, guns have become ingrained culturally to Americans.

Guns in American are like tea for the English, it's just part of who we are.

As to the op, quick we should send mister Morgan back so he can help England with its violence problem...

Despite what the news says violent crime has been on a constant decline in America over the past 30 years, so same argument you use applies to America.
edit on 20-11-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

What English oppressors? The government that ruled the Thirteen colonies was the government of the united kingdom which includes wales, scotland and ireland(back then). You seem to be ignorant of your own history. The Thirteen Colonies did not want to be independant at first they merely wanted representation in the UK parliament since they paid taxes to it (hence : no taxation without representation). When they didn't get it THEN they wanted independance.

The US needs to grow up and stop living in 1762 ! The days when you needed guns for the reasons back then have long gone.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by yorkshirelad

I often wonder If in a thousand years If the Americans will still be clinging to outdated constitutions or will at any point will they say lets change it for the better of all?

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by yorkshirelad

I often wonder If in a thousand years If the Americans will still be clinging to outdated constitutions or will at any point will they say lets change it for the better of all?

They really should update it every decade to account for technology and organised crime.

You cant write one text and base the entire future on it, hmmm that sounds familiar

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

The ironic thing is, the "2nd Amendment" was, by it's very definition, a change to that piece of paper. But for some reason, changing the constitution is unconstitutional, despite the fact they do it quite often. I think they are either very confused or highly selective to the point of hypocrisy.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

boymonkey74
reply to post by Biigs

Ireland is part of the British Isles. The islands are geographical and not political.
But I would call the Irish well Irish.

Exactely. However apparentley, like it or not the rest of the world classes them as British????

Mr Freeborn, i don`t recall stating you are a tree hugger? hippie or anysuch thing. If you notice i`ve never started a thread. I enjoy coming onto ATS to read all the wonderful alien, ghostie paranormal stuff and try to educate myself. However if i see something innacurate as the Irish been referred to as British i will comment, if i feel i have some knowledge of the subject.

I doubt very much if you was to walk into a bar in Dublin or Cork and call them British you would be met with a very warm welcome????

If people, very typically the english, want to lay claim to the Irish as being British, well thats there buisness. A heck of a lot of trouble has happened because of this very subject. Which i again say is off topic and derailing the thread.

I shall not try to correct something i see as innacurate again. Just for the Brits.

Peace.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by fenian8

Mr Freeborn, i don`t recall stating you are a tree hugger? hippie or anysuch thing.

No, but what exactly were you trying to imply by stating this?

And we could all light candles and rejoice, whilst embracing each other as brothers singing Kum By Yah!!!

I've been around the block a bit as I'm sure you have and I'm well aware that's a common retort to people who one suspects being something akin to a 'tree hugging hippy' or equally idealistic and naïve.
If that wasn't your intention then I'll gladly apologise - would you then please explain exactly what you were implying by it?

If you notice i`ve never started a thread.

I don't start many, I'm notoriously crap at it.

I enjoy coming onto ATS to read all the wonderful alien, ghostie paranormal stuff and try to educate myself.

As do I - seems we have even more common ground - the guitar and marshmallows may be coming out yet.

However if i see something innacurate as the Irish been referred to as British i will comment, if i feel i have some knowledge of the subject.

I've never referred to the Irish as British, and never would because they aren't - what's that got to do with me? I don't blame you for commenting on it. And I must say, I wish more people would only post when they feel they have something to contribute to a thread other than saying 'I agree' or 'I don't agree' - but I guess we're all guilty of that every now and then.

I doubt very much if you was to walk into a bar in Dublin or Cork and call them British you would be met with a very warm welcome????

I doubt it as well, but again, why would I? They aren't British they are Irish.
But whether you like it or not we do have much in common, including ancestry and shared DNA.

If people, very typically the english, want to lay claim to the Irish as being British, well thats there business

I am pretty well travelled in the UK, not just England, and I honestly don't know one person who thinks the Irish are British - now Northern Irish, that's a whole different ball game and a discussion best left for another time and place methinks.

A heck of a lot of trouble has happened because of this very subject.

Sadly that's an undeniable truth.

I shall not try to correct something i see as innacurate again. Just for the Brits.

Why not?
Do as you see fit, there's nothing wrong with that at all - if you think someone's wrong then you should tell them. I for one certainly don't get irate just because someone has a different opinion or perspective, surely that's one of the reasons we are all here, isn't it?

And we could all light candles and rejoice, whilst embracing each other as brothers singing Kum By Yah!!!

Not sure about the embracing bit but I'm ok with the rest of it, as long as there's plenty of drink etc.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Mr Freeborn i was implying with the Kum By Yah sentence that wouldn`t it be wonderful if we all lived in a world where things would be so simple....positive change we all could be proud of an that.

I think you became embroiled in an exchange between myself and stumason. I apologise for that.

Also indeed you never have stated that the Irish are referred to as British and i agree you never should which was what my tiny little original point was. However others were quick to point out that Ireland resides in the British Isles.

Again I think you became embroiled in an exchange between myself and stumason? I apologise for that.

thankyou for accepting, unlike, supposedly the rest of the world, that the Irish aren`t British and it had nothing to do with you. Again i think you became embroiled in an exchange between myself and stumason.

I am well travelled round the world and i have never heard anyone call the Irish British, which if you reread my posts is exactely what I was saying. Grrrrr.

However I am ok with embracing so come here you big softie i`ll light the candles and put Kum By Yah on low on the stereo, the drinks on are me.

Get yer coat you`ve pulled....

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

The question - To those in Britain:

OK, here go my answers as a Frenchman living in Germany (and who has lived in Glasgow as well):

* - Does gun control work?

YES.
Without gun control in Europe, rate of violent crimes would be so much higher.

* - Is it common practice to rely on the government for protection from criminals (gang members /armed criminals)?

YES
Without this, you would see militia appearing everywhere, with the consequent abuses linked to militia.
Proof: French police is less and less present in southwest France (that region is ridden by mafia), we start to see local militia groups (e.g. shopkeepers in a street) appearing.

* - Do the numbers in the article sway your thoughts on your gun control laws?

NO

* - If gun crimes continue to rise, would you be ok with relaxing gun control laws?

NO
if gun crimes continue to rise, a different approach of the police should be enforced, a stronger check at the borders, etc. (e.g. many guns in Europe now are coming from the Yougoslavian war)

* - Would you guys please take Piers Morgan back (
).

(post by Unsympathetic removed for a manners violation)
(post by Unsympathetic removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by fenian8

Mr Freeborn i was implying with the Kum By Yah sentence that wouldn`t it be wonderful if we all lived in a world where things would be so simple....positive change we all could be proud of an that.

Which was my original point.

Anyway apologies and all that - it seems we may have simply misunderstood each other and we may actually have quite a bit of common ground.

However I am ok with embracing so come here you big softie i`ll light the candles and put Kum By Yah on low on the stereo, the drinks on are me.

That raised a smile out of me on this miserable Sunday morning - however, I like my music loud and my drink to excess.

Get yer coat you`ve pulled....

Something of a rarity these days!

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Unsympathetic

This is why the world hates yanks.

And as much as I'm loathe to say it you Sir are the perfect example of why most of the world hates us English!
What points you may have you lose by your arrogance and abject failure to engage in civilised and respectful conversation.

Sadly far too many fail to recognise that you are not representative of us all.

Nice casual anglophobia there.

Anglophobia really pisses me off and reeks of hypocrisy and double standards.

Sadly sometimes people give reasons for it's justification!

You make me sick. You have such a problem with us? Piss off back to Ireland then, I hear things are really good there, ever since we bailed your #ty little country out.

Does that include the rest of us English of Irish descent because I assure you there are a hell of a lot of us about?
Yes, there are certainly some Irish, and people of other national origins, who work and live here and enjoy all the benefits this country provides yet do nothing but moan and criticise us and our society etc but I very much doubt if your attitude and approach is going to achieve anything other than confrontation, be it verbal in a forum such as this or otherwise in the 'real' world.

"We hate the English but we'll take their money". I loathe you.

Yes, it's annoying - in fact it pisses me off too - but loathe is a very strong word and emotion.

(post by TripleDoubleSingle removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Xcathdra
Paging, Piers Morgan: Gun Violence Explodes In England

Paging Piers Morgan... Piers Morgan to the white courtesy phone....
Gun crime has almost doubled since Labour came to power as a culture of extreme gang violence has taken hold.

Labour are not in power...
This is an old article..
I live in the UK and I hear nor see this increase.
Well I live in Scotland, so kinda not England. So maybe...

But Labout?

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Perhaps what we need is a thread explaining UK gun law in nice and simple terms for our transatlantic cousins (probably could do with someone who's done enough mileage between the 2 so they can see where things are similar and where they differ) as i doubt anyone really fancies spending 5 hours reading a home office document worded to bore anyone to sleep just to find out the exact regulations concerning a 1903 flare gun etc

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

You guys crack me up. After hundreds of years, the same old argument. I love our shared history and knowing where my colony ancestors started from. Do you know how lucky we all are to even be here in the present? God, just go back over the wars, plagues, diseases, Europeans suffered for about 1000 years. And our families survived.

posted on Nov, 25 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Please dont send him back, we spent a long time getting rid of him.

Drop him somewhere in the mid-Atlantic or something

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join