It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paging, Piers Morgan: Gun Violence Explodes In England

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by brace22

I would just like to point out something.

It is very hard to compare statistics between US and UK, due to the fact that the UK is absolutely tiny compared to the US.

Hence a vastly bigger population.

I just saw in this thread a number of US gun killings, something like 11400 or something. That is my whole local borough killed. However, in relation to the size of the US with the UK, that's probably 1 or 2 people a year. Does anybody get what I mean?

Firearm related deaths in the US per 100,000 population = 10.3
Firearm related deaths in the UK per 100,000 population = 0.25

en.wikipedia.org...
www.gunpolicy.org...
www.gunpolicy.org...

Of course that doesn't tell the whole picture, but it does really speak for itself.

I don't think anyone in this thread from the UK is saying that if the US implemented UK like gun control laws there would be a reduction in gun related deaths etc, that's simply a far too simplistic viewpoint. It's just that we believe the laws we have work for us and whilst there is gun related crime here we think it would be worse if the current legislation was relaxed.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by scotsdavy1

Glesga kiss explained :

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

alldaylong

benrl

It has nothing to do with fear, a common European misconception.

Coming from a country that actually fought off their English oppressors with guns, guns have become ingrained culturally to Americans.

Guns in American are like tea for the English, it's just part of who we are.

As to the op, quick we should send mister Morgan back so he can help England with its violence problem...

Despite what the news says violent crime has been on a constant decline in America over the past 30 years, so same argument you use applies to America.
edit on 20-11-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

The English were not oppressors.
Anyone i think you meant British. British includes Scots, Welsh and Irish, not just The English.

Yes.
Once the English had finished oppressing the Welsh, Scots and Irish, they all became oppressors too!

Harte

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

benrl

It has nothing to do with fear, a common European misconception.

Coming from a country that actually fought off their English oppressors with guns, guns have become ingrained culturally to Americans.

Guns in American are like tea for the English, it's just part of who we are.

As to the op, quick we should send mister Morgan back so he can help England with its violence problem...

Despite what the news says violent crime has been on a constant decline in America over the past 30 years, so same argument you use applies to America.
edit on 20-11-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

Coming from a country where we as vikings went on rampages, we are just ingrained with the lust to go on rampages.
and we do ever so often...ehm..NO WE EVOLVED.
Comparing drinking tea to guns are just so IGNORANT.
But leadpoison for generations will make you stupid i guess.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Curious69

Coming from a country where we as vikings went on rampages, we are just ingrained with the lust to go on rampages.
and we do ever so often...ehm..NO WE EVOLVED.
Comparing drinking tea to guns are just so IGNORANT.
But leadpoison for generations will make you stupid i guess.

Not even close, Im not talking ancient past, Im talking the events that founded the rule of law that we still follow in this country.

Not just a cultural heritage, the Rule of Law states every citizen should be armed.

Why?

Not to hunt, not to defend our self, it was because this country had just fought off the tyranny of government over reach.

A concept that still applies today, innocent americans are gunned down by those that Serve and protect at a near constant pace...

There are reasons we Americans cling to our guns, its not even so that we will use them.

Its because our leaders know we have them, that their actions should reflect a healthy fear that those that hired them have a right to have their voices heard, Backed by a strong 2nd amendment.

As to your last point, read my other post, I made it clear that I was being fictitious in order to point out the absurdity of such blind labeling of people as a whole.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   

fenian8

Anyone i think you meant British. British includes Scots, Welsh and Irish, not just The English.

British most definately does NOT mean Irish!!!

Tut tut.

Like it or not, thats the way the rest of the world sees it.

As a Welshman, while i find it irritating that no ones ever heard of Wales - there are worse things to be than British!

edit on 22-11-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

The question - To those in Britain:
* - Does gun control work?
YES
* - Is it common practice to rely on the government for protection from criminals (gang members / armed criminals)? NO - we protect ourselves
* - Do the numbers in the article sway your thoughts on your gun control laws?
NO
* - If gun crimes continue to rise, would you be ok with relaxing gun control laws?
NO
* - Would you guys please take Piers Morgan back ().
NO you keep him

It easy to acquire a gun if you are that way inclined, well it is where I am from. But if you were seen with a gun on the street the Police do respond quick, with sub machine guns and they are trigger happy, believe me.

I'd rather fight than shoot, that way we can both get up and walk away and live our lives.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Biigs

fenian8

Tut tut.

As a Welshman, while i find it irritating that no ones ever heard of Wales - there are worse things to be than British!

I don`t think that `most of the world` consider Ireland to be British at all. I`m quite certain that this `most of the world` you speak of are intelligent people and recognise that Ireland is most definately not British.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

fenian8

Biigs

fenian8

Tut tut.

I don`t think that `most of the world` consider Ireland to be British at all. I`m quite certain that this `most of the world` you speak of are intelligent people and recognise that Ireland is most definately not British.

Well, Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom if it registers as such in your geography or not.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Good luck fella, I'm staying out of this one - it's one of those that can go on ad infinitum!

reply to post by fenian8

Technically speaking, the nation of Ireland resides within the British Isles, which include the island of Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales - the UK) and the island of Ireland, which includes the nations of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.... Like it or not, the Irish are a British people, exactly like the rest of us on these windy, cold, soggy rocks.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Northern Ireland is indeed part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the island of Ireland does reside in the British Isles however Irish citizens are most definately not described as British and too describe them as such would be extremely innacurate and could, by some, be taken very offensively. They are Irish. Sooner a lot of english...sorry British people can wrap there head round that the better.

Anyway i think this subject is waaaay off the OP.

edit on 22-11-2013 by fenian8 because: tidying ma lil post up

edit on 22-11-2013 by fenian8 because: just a lil more tidyin

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

fenian8
Northern Ireland is indeed part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the island of Ireland does reside in the British Isles however Irish citizens are most definately not described as British and too describe them as such would be extremely innacurate and could, by some, be taken very offensively. They are Irish. Sooner a lot of english...sorry British people can wrap there head round that the better.

Anyway i think this subject is waaaay off the OP.

edit on 22-11-2013 by fenian8 because: tidying ma lil post up

edit on 22-11-2013 by fenian8 because: just a lil more tidyin

Absolutely, like you by the sound of your avatar name I'm also of Irish descent, also a Catholic, and also living in England, although I don't feel a need to bite the hand that would feed me if I needed feeding. Like you say though, all off topic, but thanks for the response.

ETA: lol, ok so your response was probably to stumason, but just as relevant.
edit on 22-11-2013 by uncommitted because: as per eta

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by fenian8

If you're going to get really funny over it like a good, die-hard republican, there are over 6 million UK citizens (equal to the total resident Irish population in the Republic in 2012!!!) who are eligible for Irish citizenship owing to grandparents and likewise, all Irish citizens are permitted to enter the UK to work and live, which many do and after 5 years can apply for citizenship, which many do.

(As an after thought - it occurs to me that if everyone in the UK who can apply for a passport did, then moved to the Republic, we could legally subvert your Government, vote in one that is Pro-UK and absorb you like the Borg - resistance is futile, mwoohahahahahaha!)

Like or not, the two countries might be separate on the map and in practice, but there is an awful lot of blood binding them together. I myself have extensive Irish ancestry.

But yes, this is slightly OT

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

stumason
reply to post by fenian8

But yes, this is slightly OT

Indeed it is. If i was to answer your post i think it would be removed for off topic reasons.

However I will duel with you again mr stumason, always loyal, i will duel with you again Mwuhahahahahaaaaaa....

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Good luck fella, I'm staying out of this one - it's one of those that can go on ad infinitum!

Yeah mate, said my piece and that's it.......for now.

Oh, and whilst everyone's at it - seems there's quite a few of us about, I was raised Catholic and all my Grandparents were Irish, from Kerry most of them - I'm English and British.

All the peoples of these Isles have far more in common than many care to admit, perhaps if we concentrated on them we'd be able to make positive change we could all be proud of.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Whilst I accept that gun culture is prominent in the US I don't necessarily believe that tighter restrictions would solve any problems for you.....but the other side of the coin does not stand to reason that having a prominent gun culture and a relaxation on gun control here will solve any of ours either!

If the gun laws here in the UK were relaxed and we became a nation of gun owners.... presumably this would then mean our police force would then become armed to mirror this and the criteria by which they could be pulled out and used by the police would be relaxed also. Would I envisage any of this to make a safer more happier UK? EErrmm...NO!

I honestly believe that many Americans grossly underestimate how insignificant gun culture is for the overwhelming majority of us here. As someone already pointed out, most people here never see or hear a gun in their lifetime let alone are involved in a gun crime or know someone who has been. The fact that most don't own guns or that we don't have a prominent gun culture here does not have a negative effect on our daily lives. Our intentional homicide rates ( which do not include suicides) compare favourably to countries such as the US. We don't feel we are going to meet an untimely end because we don't have guns.In fact homicide figures show otherwise. And it always makes me smile when people from the US view people from the UK as sniffling wimps who are unable to protect themselves. I'm sure many here understand my bemusement

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Freeborn
reply to post by stumason

All the peoples of these Isles have far more in common than many care to admit, perhaps if we concentrated on them we'd be able to make positive change we could all be proud of.

And we could all light candles and rejoice, whilst embracing each other as brothers singing Kum By Yah!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

One of the many benefits of living on an island, I imagine. The US is a great place to be a criminal. A gun can travel for thousands of miles from end to end.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   

I looked up Glesga kiss, all I got was Liverpool Kiss

Off topic sorry..
edit on 23-11-2013 by keenasbro because: spelling

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 04:02 AM
link   
reply to post by fenian8

Yeah, 90% of the world are idiots

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>