It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Name Change Option

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I'v been a ATS member now for 5 years, when I joined I kind of just rushed the name, an old name I used on a RPG game. I know there isn't currently an option to change the user name, nor if it will cause too much chaos within the database, but I would like the option to be able to do it.

I want something that defines me more than what I currently have, the current name holds no relation to who I am, my thoughts or what I talk about on these very boards- My Avatar defines me more than the name... Hindsight, yeah I should of chose a better name, but you know - I wasn't thinking I'd be around here for so long.

Maybe you could charge a small fee for the name change ability and limit the amount of times one can change their names? Maybe even a possibility that the original name could be kept, but made smaller to show the new name much larger so its pretty much read first and taken as your member name.

I know this is probably in the wrong forum, so I apologize for that but I couldn't find the appropriate one

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

I was thinking about it the other day. It would be a great option.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Haha-I agree with you bud-I misspelled my user name-It was supposed to be "Silicone",but I missed out the second "i"
I sort of got away with it for a while cause the site motto used to say "deny the i"( i for ignorance).
Oh well.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I think names should not change, would be too easy to just change the name and the avatar and just go off the rails ranting

Then change it back and be all "whats going on fellas"

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Yeah,good point-thats probably why its not allowed,same as making multiple accounts isn't.
makes sense.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
If the option became available the limiting the amount and showing user name history where the name is would avoid people trolling.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Silcone Synapse
reply to post by Biigs

Yeah,good point-thats probably why its not allowed,same as making multiple accounts isn't.

Says who?

You can make multiple accounts, you just can't do it for the intention of disrupting the natural flow of the board.

From the T and C

16c.) Multiple Accounts: You will not create multiple user accounts and "talk to yourself."

You'd be surprised at how many people here have multiple accounts. Usually, staff doesn't care because multiple accounts ultimately means more traffic, and more traffic means more revenue for the board from advertising. Example...... A college professor might have 5 different accounts and populate those accounts with different styles of writing. Each account focuses on a particular forum, like religion for one, politics, UFO's, etc...... Then as an assignment, might have students participate in discussions using different accounts to see how well they do with different writing styles in different forums. Why? So the student can really see where their strengths are in practical applications and how other people respond to them. It's more of a real world learning tool than just taking a test.

So go ahead, make another account with a name that better suits you. Just don't sit there and talk to yourself all day. That doesn't do anyone any good.

edit on 20-11-2013 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Just to give you a heads up, topics like this are better served in the "board business and questions" forum. its for everything ATS related.
Maybe post something in there

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I wish we could change our names.
I made mine with the mythological trolls in mind, but everyone probably sees it and thinks I'm referring to internet trolling. Only used a z at the end because "Trolls" was unavailable as far as I can remember.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I'd like to change my name as well. I was given the name johnnychicken by some old friends and it stuck. My gamer handle would sound so much cooler around here. cheMIBro

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

johnnychicken
I'd like to change my name as well. I was given the name johnnychicken by some old friends and it stuck. My gamer handle would sound so much cooler around here. cheMIBro

Maybe you could trade in a few million of those stars you have, or a couple million karma points...

Those 18 posts must have been doozy's!

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 06:48 PM
link   

n00bUK
I'v been a ATS member now for 5 years, when I joined I kind of just rushed the name, an old name I used on a RPG game. I know there isn't currently an option to change the user name, nor if it will cause too much chaos within the database, but I would like the option to be able to do it.

I want something that defines me more than what I currently have, the current name holds no relation to who I am, my thoughts or what I talk about on these very boards- My Avatar defines me more than the name... Hindsight, yeah I should of chose a better name, but you know - I wasn't thinking I'd be around here for so long.

Maybe you could charge a small fee for the name change ability and limit the amount of times one can change their names? Maybe even a possibility that the original name could be kept, but made smaller to show the new name much larger so its pretty much read first and taken as your member name.

I know this is probably in the wrong forum, so I apologize for that but I couldn't find the appropriate one
[/quote

I took the computer generated name...it's mine now. lol

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
As far as I know, the way the database is set up, there is no way to migrate your info to a new username.

So, in addition to losing your identity to all the ATS members who know you as you, you would lose all points, access to chat, access to RATS, posts, threads, post counts, applause, everything.
You'd be starting totally from scratch.

Not many members want a change that badly.

And, you may not like your username...for whatever reason, but most of us have grown to know and care about you as you are

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Way too early for the feel train DTM. you have a good point, thank you for posting mate.

How doss one change the writing underneath my name which says member? Maybe an otion to change that would be better.

Thanks again. Leon.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Click on the arrow beside "logout", a bar pops down.
Then click on where it says "account"
in your account you have a box where you entered this

You\ll get caught in the cross fire if you sit on the fence

Just change that if thats what you wanted, i hope this helps

join