It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accountability or lack thereof in today's society. Entitlement era?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Good evening

I would like to spark a discussion on what I feel is the largest issue plaguing the western world today. I will give a few examples from my perspective and hope to hear from others. Is this all different depending on if your state is red or blue? What are your experiences?

The fact that Liability in auto insurance is required by law shows how much of a mandated pampered state we live in here in U.S.. So many think they are entitled to freebies, comfort and luxuries when we don't even have the infrastructure yet, or the technology abandon economy. When you step out your front door and enter your car in the morning, aren't you acknowledging the inherent dangers of leaving your home?
Anything could happen, right? Meteor strikes, earthquakes etc. But today at least in my state, should something happen it's gotta be someone's fault. It's as if risk must always be tied to blame.

This is our reality, it's perfect. And in that, we came to exist. People need to get out of fairy land and acknowledge that reality functions the way it functions. Guarantees are hard to come by. And yet, we let for-profit organizations FORCE monthly subscriptions on insurance policies. These dudes want to act like they can construct a mathematical formula to everything and pretend that reality has to follow their models. When something "unforseen" happens, everyone is on a witch hunt for whose fault it is, all with absolute faith in these models that have ACCEPTED failure rates.

What's sad about it is that although many of us want to see local, national and worldwide improvements in our civilization, MANY of these said people want to be entitled to this change even though they don't even want to be accountable for themselves or the negative influences their careers/jobs/activities may have on their hopeful ambitions.

From College grads expecting their hands held to employment, to teachers with tenure; to department managers who hire friends in exchange for favors and to senators who sit in office for a salary all the way to nuclear meltdown management It's widespread, this lack of accountability and this sense of entitlement and it's destroying the quality of our society. But what can we do about it? Some of these people have held positions for so long this way by having been constantly given in to.
Yet it's so deeply ingrained into our society that you can't just start removing people and systems without collateral effects on families and neighborhoods.

How big of an issue do you feel these problems are? Please explain your stance. Should greed triumph civil responsibility?
edit on 19-11-2013 by BlubberyConspiracy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
very true. S&F It is now part of our society.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
just a symptom of an ever increasingly sick societal model. root of the matter perhaps is more so tied to people no longer caring about themselves nor anyone else for that matter. it's not an entitlement society, it's a free for all consisting of everyone living together separately.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by OceanSpray

That's an interesting perspective. I suppose we are all conditioned from birth by our schools, media etc. that "success" is the only route to a satisfactory life.

On "Living together, separetely"

Just put into an example of how I interpret this. We are told that without a college education we cannot think; that without a car we are not truly independent etc. etc. It's all very expensive model of life and we cherished these so dearly that we are willing to lose reason to protect it as a right, or so I feel.

That we must each make this success on our own from preschool to retirement. Pensions and all, we feel, every step of the way that there is some rewards system at wait to give us a treat so to speak as many like to become lapdogs of this new mentality. But have people taken it much too far and have they started to corrupt the fabric of our societies?

-BC

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

BlubberyConspiracy
reply to post by OceanSpray

That's an interesting perspective. I suppose we are all conditioned from birth by our schools, media etc. that "success" is the only route to a satisfactory life.

On "Living together, separetely"

Just put into an example of how I interpret this. We are told that without a college education we cannot think; that without a car we are not truly independent etc. etc. It's all very expensive model of life and we cherished these so dearly that we are willing to lose reason to protect it as a right, or so I feel.

That we must each make this success on our own from preschool to retirement. Pensions and all, we feel, every step of the way that there is some rewards system at wait to give us a treat so to speak as many like to become lapdogs of this new mentality. But have people taken it much too far and have they started to corrupt the fabric of our societies?

-BC

i do not think it was accidental either, when you look just how far back these "traits" have been within our society's, you will be looking back a very long time. just in my own life and i loved and respected my parents, they taught me very detrimental things, such as if someone does something you do not like, get angry. if someone gets angry at you, return it with more anger, argue with them.

if someone does something to you you don't like, feel hurt or angry. you must win the game, it's the only way it's fun is if your team wins, the rest are looser's. i could go on but you get the picture. my parents were decent people, they were just taught the wrong way. they were taught Americans are better people than other cultures, that gaining as much money in your life equated to success and so forth.

it is not, in my opinion by accident either, i truly believe this behavior was handed down from the wealthy eons ago. they seemed to see early on that keeping the population living in this manner was beneficial to their goals of always being in control of the masses. problem is they succumbed to the same fate from their own poison.

imagine people caring about each other and working together, not becoming angry because they or someone else made a mistake, not wanting to harm anyone who disagrees with them. imagine eh.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BlubberyConspiracy

S + F! I definitely agree and see this "celebrity worship" part of our culture, as a major culprit..

We are all told that we are "individuals who need to 'believe in ourselves'" but then we are simultaneously told that the "self" (really a mask we create to be accepted) will only be condoned if it fits into a VERY slim spectrum outside of social taboos and abides by the holy doctrine of "what's hot, and what's not"..

In a sick way, I think it's actually humanity's awkward puberty-stage where we learn to integrate with each other and accept each other's differences.. we're just still letting go of those adolescent insecurities haha..

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

OceanSpray

it is not, in my opinion by accident either, i truly believe this behavior was handed down from the wealthy eons ago. they seemed to see early on that keeping the population living in this manner was beneficial to their goals of always being in control of the masses. problem is they succumbed to the same fate from their own poison.

imagine people caring about each other and working together, not becoming angry because they or someone else made a mistake, not wanting to harm anyone who disagrees with them. imagine eh.

Thank you for the insight but I do urge to think that this civil apathy goes hand in hand with entitlement attitudes. The constant push for attainment of "Status" (just to put it vaguely) seems to weigh down individuals' damn beautiful and unique selves. It is of my opinion that this mass apathy is a gag reflex for many without time or drive to think or consider their own values as opposed to society's values. And of course this gag reflex as with anything that comes up out the mouth is offensive as expected. It stinks, and it's very hard to justify any of it when the collateral of this behavior very clearly and indiscriminately drags down any pleasant society.

Though these truths came easily to me. It still astonishes me that though we have so many people all in different stages of life and stresses of economy, SO MANY of them resort to being so devoid of respect and accountability as some sort of narcissistic mutually catastrophic escape. Even in their own lives. This poison goes so deep.

-BC

new topics

top topics

join