It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Army to get Iron Man suit for troops in just four years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
link

Well isn't this interesting. Iron Man suits for soldiers. And with a timeframe of 4 years?
I can only imagine that this is some black project that's been in use for years and is just now going to come to light.

Either way you slice it this is some very cool news.

This is not the first time that the US Army Research, Development and Engineering Command (RDECOM) has talked about their desire to get a real life version of Iron Man's suit for soldiers, but now it's giving a very specific timeframe: "The goal is to have a contract in place by next fall and have suits ready for full field testing in about four years."

While the Army's Iron Man suit—officially called Tactical Assault Light Operator Suit (TALOS)—will not have flying capability, little missiles, or repulsors, the feature list is still extremely impressive.

RDECOM wants TALOS to have ballistic and shock protection—using an armor that will get from flexible soft surface to hard metal solid, capable of repelling ammo when applying an electric current. Oh, and fire-retardant capability. The Army also wants the suit to "store and release energy to prevent injuries and increase performance."

Oh and this is crazy.

Scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology are currently developing armor made from magnetorheological fluids—liquid body armor—that transforms from liquid to solid in milliseconds when a magnetic field or electrical current is applied. Though still in development, this technology will likely be submitted to support TALOS.

So it's a mix of iron man and terminator.
edit on 19-11-2013 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Has it's pros and cons, but nobody ever brings up the possibility of these things being used to oppress their own people. Scary world.

S&F

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Just when you thought the current military/police were scary enough.

Great.

License to kill and disregard for any type of civil rights mixed with a superman suit.

Super special.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

This has been blown out of proportion a bit.

What it actually is, is soliciting for "White Papers" on the possible development of the TALOS system.
SOCOM Solicitation

Solicitation Source

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Why they gots to dumb it down so much in the article? Iron man?

I wanna see some tech spec's, man. But then, it's the army, probably wont see any specifics for a long time.

Pretty neat though, I've been following this off and on for several years now. From what I remember, the biggest obstacle to overcome was a power source. I wonder what they are going to use or "suddenly develop"?

And that CG... Did the Army hire North Korea to make that video? Terrible (teaser?) demo.
I had to laugh. Not so much at the CG, but the fact that he busts into a empty room full of AK47's to stand there and get shot.

Anyway, SF.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Isn't this the third thread on this? And the second you've started?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Or are they different?

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I've heard (from a source that I trust), that there has been a unit in Afghanistan trialing these exo-suits for the past few years. It is an active unit and do engage, they apparently have a joint SF unit attached to them (UK & USA).

Anyone heard anything similar ?

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   
And people complain of the present costs of the Military. Wait till they order twenty thousand of these puppies. I suppose the government will cut the benefits of the soldiers when they get these things to help pay for them.

I can imagine the cost of these things. What company is benefiting from this the most and how much do they give to campaign contributions. How much stock in these companies do congressmen or their families have? I could ask a lot of questions that will never get an answer for.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Sounds like the T-51 Power armor off the Fallout games.

Like an earlier poster mentioned though how are they going to find a suitable power source for these things? You'd need a mini nuclear reactor or something in them and what about EMP weapons?

Just an expensive tin can if it was to be disabled in active engagement.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   

khimbar
Isn't this the third thread on this? And the second you've started?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Or are they different?

RAY1990
reply to post by grey580

Sounds like the T-51 Power armor off the Fallout games.

Like an earlier poster mentioned though how are they going to find a suitable power source for these things? You'd need a mini nuclear reactor or something in them and what about EMP weapons?

Just an expensive tin can if it was to be disabled in active engagement.

lol, beat me to it.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Metaphysique

Whats next. Super mutants!

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   

BombheadBel
reply to post by Metaphysique

Whats next. Super mutants!

coming soon
endoftheamericandream.com...
will eat babies too!

edit on 19-11-2013 by Metaphysique because: a

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Looks like a normal soldier to me. I looked at some articles.

How long now have we heard about these new fancy systems? Anyone remember Future Warrior? What happened with that?

They've been designing and testing these things for YEARS. . . we're still not any closer to an actual roll out than we were 5 years ago.

*yawn* I'm waiting to be actually impressed. Perhaps Hollywood has ruined me, but nothing in "real life" shocks, surprises, or wows me anymore.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Some of the responses are funny in regard to Fallout.

I agree.

Don't worry guys, a combat shotgun and some stimpacks will be enough to take on one of these suits.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I sense that one day soon we will have genetic modified soldiers and armor for them one day. DARPA must a had some halo fans in its ranks. One day we might not even have volunteers for military service but clones grew for that purpose alone.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Now to just keep it from getting in the wrong hands. Oh wait... It's already in the Governments hands...

I guess it's time to start investing in companies that produce EMP's

grey580
link

Well isn't this interesting. Iron Man suits for soldiers. And with a timeframe of 4 years?
I can only imagine that this is some black project that's been in use for years and is just now going to come to light.

Yes, it has been in the works for many years. In fact, I believe it was posted on this forum around 6 years ago or so. So not necessarily in the dark. Shockingly.
edit on 20/11/13 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join