It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Angry Residents Step In To Stop Police Beating For 'Riding Bike On Sidewalk'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by QuantumEcho

If an officer did a u-turn because you were wearing headphones I would head to the courthouse and get some more information. I've never heard of it being a problem to walk while having your headphones on. Driving yes, but walking? If that's the case - so is using a Bluetooth or maybe even talking on the phone since your walking and distracted with those as well.

People listen to music (using earphones) while jogging so is that also illegal? People listen to music to drown out stressful sounds (traffic, etc) as well. And...he would arrest you? Or ticket you? Arrest sounds a bit dramatic. I would take action and go to verify this - it's a part of taking action. You got to carry a gun and get shot at but you might trip off the sidewalk due to your music?

It doesn't make sense - but if you do something you may save another from a bad fate - and I probably would have felt sick too. If it is a law - they need to clearly post it.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Metaphysique here's how its done

as above.
edit on 20/11/13 by RoScoLaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

"Who watches the Watchmen"

It is "Us" The winds are blowing and each time a travesty/debacle/JACKPOT is exposed, the winds increase. The Norman Rockwell era of a "Civil Servant" has been taken over by a Thug with coin changer belt. That is why when I reflect on My 'time' I can sleep KNOWING I did My "best" It took a while to get over the "attachment" (and I still reflect.. obviously) and when I do 'share' I don't try and come across a Police Apologist but this, the keester search and shots fired in New Mexico and now the DNA, saliva swabs in Texas... This is how A. Hitler got ALL those folks "hoodwinked"...

so, sew.. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes indeed.

namaste

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

mistersmith
reply to post by Dynamike

What a plonker!
Your choice of avatar is ridiculous.
Your grammar is appalling.
You accuse others of jumping to conclusions after you have written - "I don't doubt that the person resisted arrest".
Then you admit complete ignorance of what actually happened.
You set an entirely new standard for idiocy ....

And you're in Law Enforcement -- God's bottom! You wouldn't even make traffic warden in a civilised country.

mistersmith.

Hey dont knock my avatar! It's me at work
I'm a SWAT operator specializing in hostage negotiations. I like to represent my fellow police when I can to help people see whats going on under the hood so to speak. I am not defending the actions of the officers if what is speculated actually occurred, I am merely showing the little evidence of what occurred in a different light. Because that's all that is going on here. You have little to no evidence of what happened and people are assuming the worst case scenario.

I have been in this situation before. A group of impoverished citizens began crowding around me after I chased a male through their complex and began wrestling with him and punching him in the side.

What they did not know is that he had a gun on him and had just shot his sister. He was resisting arrest and trying to go for the gun in his waist band. Meanwhile, people started to crowd around me and try to help him.

I had many complaints of excessive force made by those people. Ignorance at its best.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

LewisStulePhD
reply to post by OpinionatedB

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

"Who watches the Watchmen"

It is "Us" The winds are blowing and each time a travesty/debacle/JACKPOT is exposed, the winds increase. The Norman Rockwell era of a "Civil Servant" has been taken over by a Thug with coin changer belt. That is why when I reflect on My 'time' I can sleep KNOWING I did My "best" It took a while to get over the "attachment" (and I still reflect.. obviously) and when I do 'share' I don't try and come across a Police Apologist but this, the keester search and shots fired in New Mexico and now the DNA, saliva swabs in Texas... This is how A. Hitler got ALL those folks "hoodwinked"...

so, sew.. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes indeed.

namaste

I love it when people play the Hitler card with no understanding of history. Hitler came to power because of people like you. He played on the hate of the government and the fears of the people. Germans were poor thought there government abandoned them saw it as corrupt. Even Hitlers brown shirts who later became the SS started because people didnt trust the police. So they got these people to watch the police and watch the polls during voting. Little would they realize thats exactly want Hitler wanted. And i see its going to happen again people want someone to solve there problems instead of solving it themselves. when you have someone else solve your problems you do nothing but give away your freedoms. I guess people will never learn and some Hitlers going to come along and people like you with hatred instead of will and we repeat history once again.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

I agree. Just as the Germans got Hitler so did the Americans get Obama.

Its such a shame people fell for it. And with this mistake, so hell will follow... Bush and Obama are the front runners... the one's who put everything into place...

Hell is coming next.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

OpinionatedB

Its such a shame people fell for it. And with this mistake, so hell will follow... Bush and Obama are the front runners... the one's who put everything into place...

Hell is coming next.

I don't know how you managed to squeeze in the last two presidents as if the sole rationale for for this thuggery. It's been going on for years and years now, and people do turn the other cheek. A paraplegic tipped out of his wheelchair in a busy police station onto the floor because the 'lady' cop didn't believe he was paraplegic, and no one said boo..including other uniforms. Had she not been taped, you know what the outcome would have been...'reasonable force' of course.
I love the police car logo's 'To protect and serve' it means absolutely nothing on its own.
This incident, plainclothes cops picking on a guy on a bike, pathetic.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Dynamike

SkepticOverlord
The important thing to note here, is that it's not illegal to ride a bicycle less than 15mph on sidewalks zoned residential anywhere in the country.
I don't doubt that the person resisted arrest. When people are arrested in large complexes such as those they often try to make it a big deal as to try to get the aid of their piers to turn on the police in their time of need. This is done by minor amounts of resisting- pulling, jerking, kicking, punching; things they know that will entice any person into an increase of response to resistance.

I'm not saying I know all of what happened because there are little to no facts given. I am saying people are jumping to conclusions.

pot meet kettle, when you say you have "no doubt he resisted arrest" you are jumping to the conclusion that supports your profession, when we see something that clearly is not right we may jump to the conclusion that supports our profession..being a citizen. seems latley le has taken an us vs them attitude..i could be wrong but sure seems that way. when we jump to a conclusion not much happens..when le jump to a conclusion people get shot, pets get shot, people get beaten for perhaps defending themselves..ie bicycle rider wearing headphones..or maybee you get cavity searched for 14 hours..understand the publics frustration
peace

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Metaphysique

I still get a warm fuzzy from the soccer game video!

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

catswithbigpaws
reply to post by StallionDuck

The problem is that the police officers are typically sadistic hotshots with Cartman-esque "rispekt mah authoritay" personalities reeking of dominance and oppression. Maybe they need to be sedated unlike all the children who supposedly need ritalin. Who the hell freaks out over someone riding a bike on a sidewalk? We need pacifist police officers, not high school bullies.

okay so next time i see my sister and her husband i'll let em know they are sadistic hotshots and fascist for protecting people from criminals will i?

yep clearly they are all tyrannical monsters, instead of human beings with flaws, screw the police, all of them because there was a video on the interwebs.

why is it that so many people seem to be so thoughtless and never stop and think "gee maybe i need to reassess the fact that only the videos that make the police look bad are ever put on the internet?"
i mean would anyone put a video on the internet of a cop saving a cat from a tree or calmly asking people to slow down on their way home?

no! of course not! people want you to hate the police! it doesn't matter if they are trying to shape your perception to make you believe all cops are power hungry morons because they have video of a few power tripping cops.
no, no, gotta brainwash people to hate authority even when it's purely to divide and conquer.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

OpinionatedB

Hell is coming next.

clearly obama and bush are so hitler-like... you know when they gassed all those jewish people, gay people, political dissidents, poor, romani and mentally handicapped.

oh wait... neither did anything like that... the only thing they did was make some nobody on the internet angry because they didn't do what he/she wanted them to.

yeah let us know when "hell" shows up, judging from your metric scale he or she will just not think your beliefs are logically sound or useful.

thanks for killing the thread though! it was pretty stupid.

edit on 20-11-2013 by demongoat because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Even in nature, life stands up and says no more

But are people, as a whole, as smart, as these buffalo?

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

If he truly was just riding on the side walk then beating the living hell out of somebody for that infraction is stepping way over the line. If I ever see anything like that go down, I gonna do my best to make sure the cop stops immediately or he goes down with extreme force too. Police need to relearn the meaning of "protect the peace!" pdq. They are not intended to be paramilitary organizations that use fear and intimidation to bully the public. Unfortunately these kind of incidents are becoming all to common and they must stop by any means necessary.
The actions taken by police lately are GOING to lead to a riot of THEIR making. Remember Rodney King? The public is under so much strain, and stress from all sides and angles that all it will take is a spark from police to detonate the public powder keg.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Dynamike

Boy, sounds like someone has security issues.

Or the bragging and look at me effect is in full.

Should I post a pic of my time in the Marines? would that look cool...

Like an immature little boy showing off his toys.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

demongoat

OpinionatedB

Hell is coming next.

clearly obama and bush are so hitler-like... you know when they gassed all those jewish people, gay people, political dissidents, poor, romani and mentally handicapped.

oh wait... neither did anything like that... the only thing they did was make some nobody on the internet angry because they didn't do what he/she wanted them to.

edit on 20-11-2013 by demongoat because: (no reason given)

People were defending Hitler in the years ---->before

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by RoScoLaz

Good the idiots, who do they think they are!!1

here in the UK if I see any cop going to town on anyone id tear them a new one!!!

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

Good morning Hanz, as you'll realise, I share your distaste for people like Dynamike who betray their society.
What I find most telling about this example, is that although like the rest of us he was born with the power of reflection, he doesn't use it.
I suspect it has atrophied, through lack of use.

Had he reflected for a moment on his first post, several obvious mistakes would have been immediately apparent. Does he take a look at what he's just done -- a brief check on the quality of his work?
No.

It should be a habit which extends right through the activities of an intelligent being.
The ability to check one's own actions, and an awareness of our mistakes is what refines us as human beings, and enables us to enrich society.
Rather than herd us around at gunpoint.
For that you need to be dumbed down and desensitised, to live without the benefit of one of our most vital attributes.
The ability to honestly question ourselves.

This pathetic individual is so blinded by his shiny toys, and so enjoys the power to bully others, that he will be seen as a complete success by those who brainwashed him.
Others will recognise a failed human being.

I had a friend who trained his dog to bark at anyone in uniform.
Time someone taught Americans that trick.

mistersmith.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

Some rejection issues I assume? Perhaps your 4 years in the USMC doing border patrol got you to hate the alpha male type because you could never live up. You could never be the cowboy you envisioned yourself to be. You secretly want to be me. The guy that gets all the girls with a wink and a smirk. The guy who can hold his whisky at the bar and read your poker face like a dictionary. Id gladly take you in a game if you're up for it.

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mistersmith

Actually if you had read the article the suspect had a warrant and fled from police. Upon his attempted capture the suspect began fighting and even bit a female officer. You all play into the media hype that portrays the goodguys going rogue. That rarely if ever happens. The only time you will see excessive force is if the good guy has some kind of hate issue. Clearly in this scenario, they just wanted to capture the bad guy that the judge issued a warrant for.

As for me, if repelling down buildings, bursting through windows to capture armed suspects, showing them the wrath of justice was such an appalling sight to behold. Then why does every major movie envision such heroism for idolization? You don't want to live that life even for just a day? I live that life every day my friend. At the cost of my safety to protect my family from the badguys you would not attempt to make eye contact with for twice of what I am being paid. Its a thankless job, so you know what? I wear my badge with pride. And care less how I am judged.
edit on 21-11-2013 by Dynamike because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by demongoat

the problem that you don't want to see , is that there are a lot of bad cops out there on the streets .

and the few good cops turn a blind eye or even cover up for the bad ones , this in itself is turning the public
against the police in general .

so i say to any of the good police out there , if you want the public to respect you , do your job even if the criminal is wearing your uniform .

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join