It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Angry Residents Step In To Stop Police Beating For 'Riding Bike On Sidewalk'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Metaphysique
reply to post by StallionDuck

not enough people reacting

else there'd have been no arrests.

here's how its done

and he was really arrested for not getting down on all fours, wagging his tail and puckering up when a cop[not readily apparent due to being in civvies] barked at him.

hopefully, some future defendant, will walk out of court by citing this event as disproving any credibility these cops and/or undercover rats may have as "trained observers", given their inability to see he had headphones on.
edit on 19-11-2013 by Metaphysique because: fixed video

This is a great example of people snapping when seeing 4 professionals beating on an unarmed man. What story does this come from (can't understand what they're saying). Would like to know what the outcome was (not to derail - just wanting more info is someone has it).

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

If I remember right, it was south america somewhere. Dude is running across the field, being an ass at a soccor(football) match.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

dragonridr
reply to post by DenyObfuscation

Since there appears to be some confusion on if its legal to ride on the side walk heres a website to explain by the way its all a way to make money. Theirs probably more bikes in San Francisco then cars.

www.prweb.com...

For me it wasn't about whether it's legal or not. It was about someone acting like their list of codes applied to the matter. It didn't. The CVC itself does not prohibit bicycles on sidewalks. The locals deal with it.

Some cities and counties prohibit riding bicycles on sidewalks. Other local laws deal with parking of bikes and use of pedestrian or special bicycle facilities. Check with your local government to learn what these laws are

www.chp.ca.gov...

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   
What!? They said the force was JUSTIFIED?

What the hell!?

Riding a bike gets you arrested and jumped now? Who THE HELL do they think they are!?

The way POLICE behave today, I would swear that I was in some ancient city where SOLDIERS would kill or hurt you for no reason what-so-ever other than to get a thrill kill, or have fun doing it.

This type of thing needs to stop.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DenyObfuscation

The restriction is found in the San Francisco Transportation Code.

SFTC Division II, Article 1000, Sec 1007:
Bicycling riding on any sidewalk is prohibited except that children under the age of 13 may ride a bicycle on any sidewalk except as otherwise posted.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Portugal. Just found it (brain froze of something as member above said they were proud to be living in Portugal so should have picked up on that).

The reson this is a good example was the guy is subdued. He is down and is not fighting back. I get the feeling from the story this man on the bike was a similar situation.

With regard to the exact laws on bicycles (not sure if you commented on it but thought I would mention) - who cares. People ride their bikes on sidewalks constantly in the Bay Area (every town South and North). The only time a bicycle bothers me on the sidewalk (or a siateboard) is when it tries to run me or my kid over. Other than that do what you want is what I say - just be respectful of the slower moving venue.
The streets in SF are narrow. I know they have bike lanes but often there is still not enough room between parked cars and traffic. Have you ever seen someone in a parked car open their door and the bicyclist hit it? I have. It's not a good scene. Maybe it felt safer for him to be on the sidewalk so close to home.

Also - I have to wonder what this under cover officer was doing in the area to begin with - looking for petty crimes or a fight? Or off duty? Usually a detective wouldn't mess with stuff like this. Just seems off with respect to that.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LewisStulePhD

What is "the job"? I agree, he is unfit for whatever it is, he lost it... but what is the job?

It used to be about catching bad guys, keeping us safe from thieves and rapists and murderers, from drug pushers who would kill our children... but what is it now?

"The job" now is all about revenue... and the revenue enforcers having no care and no concern as to how and in what manner that revenue is gotten... the cities police forces are who we need to be protected from now... They are the thieves, the rapists, the murderers, the thugs hurting people indiscriminately to get a few more dollars...

And that scares the hell out of me... the protectors have turned into the evildoers we need real protection from... who stands up now to protect us?

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by LewisStulePhD

You were allowed, I read every word.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   
This is all cops want to do these days. shoot, beat and kill first...ask questions later. At least dirty harry went after real bad guys. Cops today, will go after anyone. it's pathetic.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   

SkepticOverlord
The important thing to note here, is that it's not illegal to ride a bicycle less than 15mph on sidewalks zoned residential anywhere in the country.

You have to keep in mind that laws can become more constrictive as it trickles down from federal to state, county, and municipality. There very could be an ordinance violation. Off the top of my head is an ordinance that says a bicyclist may ride on a sidewalk but must yield to pedestrians. And while a bicyclist is on the sidewalk they are then governed by the pedestrian ordinances- such as no standing or blocking, using cross walks, or crossing not at an angle.

I've been in the law enforcement field for about seven years and we only use these laws when we see someone we need identified. Because if you are stopped for a violation you must identify yourself or else be arrested for obstruction.

If they were undercover cops I can only guess that they were out there attempting to identify someone they were watching, i.e. known drug sellers or burglars. I don't doubt that the person resisted arrest. When people are arrested in large complexes such as those they often try to make it a big deal as to try to get the aid of their piers to turn on the police in their time of need. This is done by minor amounts of resisting- pulling, jerking, kicking, punching; things they know that will entice any person into an increase of response to resistance.

I'm not saying I know all of what happened because there are little to no facts given. I am saying people are jumping to conclusions.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Dynamike

I would say the avatar matches the attitude well then. Nosy cop antics like that is why I don't carry my ID with me unless I absolutely have to, like I am driving.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   
This pattern of conflict between police and civilians is going to get a lot further out of hand if the police don't correct themselves.

There will be a boston massacre moment, where police force the community to physically stop them and end up being trading casualties with the people they are supposed to be protecting, and once that happens another Timothy McVeigh is going to decide that his moment has arrived. We REALLY don't want to go down this road, but the only ones who can stop it are the ones who are going too far. People need to stand up and be assertive and not let the police keep blindly charging towards the point of no return.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

SkepticOverlord
The important thing to note here, is that it's not illegal to ride a bicycle less than 15mph on sidewalks zoned residential anywhere in the country.

I know Philadelphia has some sort of no-biking "law". Also, there are backwards towns in NEPA which ban ALL wheeled conveyances, mainly aimed at children on skates, skateboards, rollerblades, scooters, bicycles, tricycles, uni-cycles ad nauseaum. Of course baby buggies and wheel chairs, although not specifically excluded, it's a given.

Are these laws moot?

I just had to...

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

amazing
This is all cops want to do these days. shoot, beat and kill first...ask questions later. At least dirty harry went after real bad guys. Cops today, will go after anyone. it's pathetic.

they go for the low hanging fruit, the person who wont fight back..often they dig into the people who call them.
edit on 20-11-2013 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

loveguy

Well, I was glad to see a white guy came to DJ's aid.
I'd expect a race riot otherwise.

I wonder if the cops planted any contraband on his person so they can say he's being investigated for drug trafficking or some other alphabet agency sponsored illicitness.

Just riding on the sidewalk huh? Ipods will be outlawed so we can hear when we are about to be molested.

Here in California you get harassed for walking around with an iPod. A few weeks back I was visiting the local Stater Bros. to pick up a pack of cigarettes, and a cruiser pulled a U-turn in the middle of the road to come alongside me, flashed it's lights and waved me over. I was informed that it was a public safety hazard to use earphones while walking, because I might trip or stumble into traffic. I was also informed that if they saw me doing it again I would be arrested. I'm a veteran and I really wanted to throw up pretty much immediately.

(post by mistersmith removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mistersmith

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by QspeedyrockOne day soon this type of police brutality will be answered in the most brutal way. a group of people probably with military training and a large vendetta who do not care whether they live or die will attack with such vengeance and it does not take a lot of them when equipt with the right weapons and tactical information to kill hundreds of police officers due to the actions of a few bad officers. When individuals are are pushed beyond thier limits by things such as police brutality and the extreme poor way that america treats it war veterans coupled with a society that is armed to the teeth (this includes both civilians and police officers) it is a powder keg waiting to go off. It would not surprise me to see an event in the near future where in some parts of the country american government will be humbled. When this does happen corupt police etc will probably just be executed as in a civil war situation thesepeople are an extreme liability. This will not surprise us in the rest of the world.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Next...................Police Drones. They will just blow you off the sidewalk. A new form of police brutality.

posted on Nov, 20 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   

boncho
Notice the look of shame on the police spokesperson and how he swallows his throat, doesn't look too confident with the official story.

edit on 19-11-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

This is another thing i often notice when these police officials give these statements if the events; sometimes, they look SO obviously ashamed or detached from the crap they have to actually spout on camera. They know damn well tat everything they are recounting is a a lie, and you can clearly see it on their face.

Look at the way this man tells the story. He looks like e wants no part of this, but has no choice if he wants to keep his job.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join