It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Angry Residents Step In To Stop Police Beating For 'Riding Bike On Sidewalk'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 08:00 PM
link   

DenyObfuscation
reply to post by abecedarian

Bicycles are codified as vehicles and vehicles are not permitted to operate on sidewalks.

So you keep saying.

Trouble reading much?

I can read just fine. You've not shown anything worth reading yet to support YOUR contention. You don't have it, you were caught out and can't accept it.

CVC 231 A bicycle is a device upon which any person may ride, propelled exclusively by human power through a belt, chain, or gears, and having one or more wheels. Persons riding bicycles are subject to the provisions of this code specified in Sections 21200 and 21200.5.

edit on 11/19/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

CVC 21206. This chapter does not prevent local authorities, by ordinance, from regulating the registration of bicycles and the parking and operation of bicycles on pedestrian or bicycle facilities, provided such regulation is not in conflict with the provisions of this code.

SFTC SEC. 10.2.3. BICYCLE RIDING RESTRICTED.
To ride a bicycle upon any sidewalk in violation of any restriction on riding bicycles on sidewalks set forth in División 11. (96) (Added by Ord. 45-08, File No. 080236, App. 3/24/2008)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

SEC. 105. TRAFFIC LAWS APPLY TO PERSON RIDING BICYCLES OR ANIMALS.

Every person riding a bicycle or riding or driving an animal upon a highway shall have all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by the provisions of this Code except those provisions which by their very nature can have no application. (SFMTA Bd. Res. 08-120, 7/1/2008)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
SEC. 1007. SIDEWALK BICYCLE RIDING BY CHILDREN.

Children under the age of 13 may ride a Sidewalk Bicycle on any sidewalk except as otherwise posted. (SFMTA Bd. Res. 08-120, 7/1/ 2008)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   

What does any of that have to do with what the cops did, and in addition, the man is riding up to his apartment, so that would be apartment complex, private property, technically, they do accomodate bikers in apartments.

And no minor little traffic violation, like this, would ever allow police to respond as they did.

I wish the crowd had been far larger and they were running with their eyes buldged out in terror, since they deal that to innocents and children all the time!

They are criminals! Police state criminals! Psychopaths being paid good wages and benefits, including pensions by their employees they're working to enslave.

SICKENING that anyone takes it.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I had relearives who worked for the SFPD - no longer but in the past. There are other ways to deal with someone who is resisting arrest, and I've never heard of punching them in the face to the point of breaking their jaw. In fact, your not supposed to strike them in the head area at all last I heard.
We know this isn't a rule followed too often but it was the rule as I remember it - back when things were normal.

As a previous poster said, being a bystander and doing nothing is like saying it is okay. Your complicit to the crime in a way. I may not have gotten in the middle of it but I would have been recording and doing something (calling the chief, recording...something). Also - if someone is calm - your supposed to stop with the force (turn the rage off), and arrest them. It sounds like excessive force if his jaw was broken and there isn't even a scratch on these officers. Makes the whole department look bad.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

Attacking someone from behind, who doesn't know you're there, is not resisting arrest. PERIOD.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I'd think if they found it necessary to explicitly exclude children and their bikes from laws, adults are implicitly included.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   

abecedarian

DenyObfuscation

Bicycles are codified as vehicles and vehicles are not permitted to operate on sidewalks.

So you keep saying.

Trouble reading much?

I can read just fine. You've not shown anything worth reading yet to support YOUR contention. You don't have it, you were caught out and can't accept it.

CVC 231 A bicycle is a device upon which any person may ride, propelled exclusively by human power through a belt, chain, or gears, and having one or more wheels. Persons riding bicycles are subject to the provisions of this code specified in Sections 21200 and 21200.5.

So you had to find additional information to try to make your case but still you have failed to make it.

So what is Section 21200?

Bicycle Use. VC 21200
Every person riding a bicycle upon a street or highway has all the rights and is subject to all the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle.

Not there. Let's try 21200.5

Bicycling Under Influence of Alcohol or Drugs. VC 21200.5
It is unlawful to ride a bicycle upon a street or highway while under the influence of an alcoholic beverage
or drug or the combination of alcohol and a drug, punishable by a fine of up to $250.

Source

Not there either. If you read further at the source I linked you'll find

Sidewalks Are For Walking On!
Many people are surprised to learn that riding your bike on the sidewalk is actually more dangerous than
riding in a safe manner on the street, and often illegal! Sidewalks are meant to accommodate
pedestrians. They are not intended for bicycles or other vehicles moving more swiftly than foot traffic.If
you feel that you must ride on the sidewalk, be extra vigilant, as there is a greater chance of collision with
a pedestrian or car
. Comparative risk studies have shown that, due to poor visibility, space restrictions
and other factors, sidewalk cycling presents a much greater risk than cycling in the street.

Why would they say often illegal if it's always illegal? Well, obviously it's NOT always illegal.

NOWHERE have you shown it to be.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord
The important thing to note here, is that it's not illegal to ride a bicycle less than 15mph on sidewalks zoned residential anywhere in the country.

No in San Francisco anyone over the age of 13 is not allowed to ride on the sidewalk. In fact they have a major push going to make sure bicyclists know side walks are for pedestrians. Though ive never heard of being beaten for it have to admit thats a new form of justice.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
It is SF and one can legally shat wherever one finds worthy.

So, it's all a moot point. Shat on the corner, shat on the law.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Unity_99
reply to post by Dianec

Attacking someone from behind, who doesn't know you're there, is not resisting arrest. PERIOD.

If that is their defense it is still brutality - I didn't say I believe them. I'm going with their justification, and if that's the best they have it is police brutality.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 08:44 PM
link   

DenyObfuscation

abecedarian

DenyObfuscation

So you keep saying.

Trouble reading much?

So you had to find additional information to try to make your case but still you have failed to make it.

So what is Section 21200?

Bicycle Use. VC 21200
Every person riding a bicycle upon a street or highway has all the rights and is subject to all the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle.

Not there. Let's try 21200.5

Bicycling Under Influence of Alcohol or Drugs. VC 21200.5
It is unlawful to ride a bicycle upon a street or highway while under the influence of an alcoholic beverage
or drug or the combination of alcohol and a drug, punishable by a fine of up to $250.

Source

Not there either. If you read further at the source I linked you'll find

Sidewalks Are For Walking On!
Many people are surprised to learn that riding your bike on the sidewalk is actually more dangerous than
riding in a safe manner on the street, and often illegal! Sidewalks are meant to accommodate
pedestrians. They are not intended for bicycles or other vehicles moving more swiftly than foot traffic.If
you feel that you must ride on the sidewalk, be extra vigilant, as there is a greater chance of collision with
a pedestrian or car
. Comparative risk studies have shown that, due to poor visibility, space restrictions
and other factors, sidewalk cycling presents a much greater risk than cycling in the street.

Why would they say often illegal if it's always illegal? Well, obviously it's NOT always illegal.

NOWHERE have you shown it to be.
No, I didn't, and thank you for helping to make my case.
I mean, if you ride on the sidewalk, you're not subject to the rules of the road, right? SO you can be legally intoxicated and as long as you don't ride on the street you're fine, right?

Grow up, suck it up, and admit.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DenyObfuscation

Since there appears to be some confusion on if its legal to ride on the side walk heres a website to explain by the way its all a way to make money. Theirs probably more bikes in San Francisco then cars.

www.prweb.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Give it a frikken rest will ya? Who gives a crap? Last I heard you get a warning, or maybe a ticket for minor crap like that. Not "arrested" and beat down for an extra emphasis.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Metaphysique
reply to post by StallionDuck

not enough people reacting

else there'd have been no arrests.

here's how its done

and he was really arrested for not getting down on all fours, wagging his tail and puckering up when a cop[not readily apparent due to being in civvies] barked at him.

hopefully, some future defendant, will walk out of court by citing this event as disproving any credibility these cops and/or undercover rats may have as "trained observers", given their inability to see he had headphones on.
edit on 19-11-2013 by Metaphysique because: fixed video

Too bad the cop that actually assaulted this guy got away, if you watch closely, he gets away while the others cops, including the bald white one who told him to stop get their asses beat.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Metaphysique
reply to post by StallionDuck

not enough people reacting

else there'd have been no arrests.

here's how its done

We're talking about America, what did you expect? It's every man for themselves, it's the way society has developed.

On a side note, great video, makes me feel proud for being Portuguese. and not living in America. Honestly.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Taggart

To whom was I responding in my first post?

SkepticOverlord.

What did he post?

The important thing to note here, is that it's not illegal to ride a bicycle less than 15mph on sidewalks zoned residential anywhere in the country.

What did I post?

Three communities that had ordinances that banned or allowed banning of bike riding on sidewalks no matter what speed you might be traveling.

So who made the false statement?

Isn't it rather obvious that it was SkepticOverlord, just like I stated in my second comment that was a reply to yours.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

abecedarian
Again, I'll state SFPD may have overacted.

Still though, no one has provided any evidence that riding a bicycle on a sidewalk is legal, ANYWHERE. Whereas I've provided proof such is specifically illegal, starting with California Vehicle Codes, and have mentioned other locales where that has been deemed illegal.

From my searches, it appears that in most places riding a bike on the sidewalk is illegal unless otherwise permitted by local statutes.

Take it for what you will, but I'm denying... no, I'm proving ignorance.
And I really don't want to step on SO's toes here, but even he is wrong.

the part about egress from a residence. the apartment complex has a SIDEWALK, no road available to the from porch.

Should we then assume as you are, that anywhere there is not a road, one can not ride a bike?

I better go have bicycle endorsed on my DL. and register its VIN number.. oh wait VIN numbers are for vehicles..
hence the V.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Nothing in the SF or NYC ordinances make allowances for speed. The Houston ordinance also makes no mention of speed though it is primarily concerned with non-residential restrictions.

Can you show where in the SF or NYC ordinances it says you can ride your bike on the sidewalk if you remain under 15 mph? Because I can find no such caveat.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join