It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Angry Residents Step In To Stop Police Beating For 'Riding Bike On Sidewalk'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

I was referring to the provisions specific to sidewalks in residential zones. There was a rather prominent update in Bicycling magazine a few months back the provisions has continued to be preserved despite the broadening of other laws in many states and municipalities.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord

I was referring to the provisions specific to sidewalks in residential zones. There was a rather prominent update in Bicycling magazine a few months back the provisions has continued to be preserved despite the broadening of other laws in many states and municipalities.

Please do cite that as I cannot find anything specific to California that specifically permits riding a bicycle on a side walk, and more oft than not, find things specifically restricting that.

And I will refer you back to CVC (California Vehicle Code) which states bicycles are considered 'vehicles' and vehicles are not permitted to operate on sidewalks except for purposes of ingress or egress to or from adjacent properties.

Even the DMV handbook states bicycles should be operated on the roadway as close to the curb as practical and should not be operated on sidewalks..

edit on 11/19/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Seeing citizens finally starting to intervene when abusive LEO's hurt people without a valid cause is a good sign that shows complacency can be switched to an aggressive counter attack very suddenly..

I hope this doesn't escalate into citizens shooting police, but if they keep it up much longer, and these stories get worse and worse, it could suddenly escalate into absolute chaos.. Hopefully not, but with the way things are going, I think that is just wishful thinking..

If you are armed, and you see someone pounding your kids face into the pavement, even if that person is a cop, what would be the natural instinct to do? (maybe I better not say it)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

bigfootgurl
One solution to this problem: For every incident of this type - that is, police brutality or "officers of the law" overstepping their authority - record the incident and post it on YouTube with as much personal information about the offending officer(s) as possible. Name, badge number, home address, telephone number, names and personal information of family members, anything you can dig up. In a society in which you can't fight back directly (and you can't), guerilla tactics are your only recourse. These kinds of people need to have some kind of a "hurting" put on them. As of now they have nothing to fear from the docile public. We should give them something to fear.
edit on 19-11-2013 by bigfootgurl because: (no reason given)

I was thinking along similar lines. For example, if every time a guy got brutalized by police for jaywalking the offending officer was sprayed with machinegun fire, there would soon be less police brutality. Sort of like the idea of a Militia checking an overzealous government. The local gangs should maybe take a role in this. They have the hardware.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Funny I was just talking to a friend today about all of the videos of police obviously assaulting citizens and how there are always groups of people recording snd watching but no one ever dors anything. Im not that kinda guy. I have and always will take control of the situation when it comes to the police. They only have power over you if you give it to them.

I would also like to point out that he was riding his bike in the apt. complex on his way to his apt so Im not sure all of the bile laws apply here. Either way they were plain clothed amd from what I understand never identified themselves.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

That still doesn't change the fact a bicycle is considered a 'vehicle' under California law, and it is illegal to operate a vehicle on sidewalks and other public walkways with the exception of as necessary to permit egress to or from properties such as crossing a sidewalk to enter a driveway / parking garage or similar, unless otherwise specifically permitted by the local authority.

I don't know if that's true or not but you failed to show any evidence for this statement in your previous post.

I see "Rules of the Road" in the case of a bicycle being on a highway but nothing so far to restrict a bicycle to the road only.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Again, I'll state SFPD may have overacted.

Still though, no one has provided any evidence that riding a bicycle on a sidewalk is legal, ANYWHERE. Whereas I've provided proof such is specifically illegal, starting with California Vehicle Codes, and have mentioned other locales where that has been deemed illegal.

From my searches, it appears that in most places riding a bike on the sidewalk is illegal unless otherwise permitted by local statutes.

Take it for what you will, but I'm denying... no, I'm proving ignorance.
And I really don't want to step on SO's toes here, but even he is wrong.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

DenyObfuscation

That still doesn't change the fact a bicycle is considered a 'vehicle' under California law, and it is illegal to operate a vehicle on sidewalks and other public walkways with the exception of as necessary to permit egress to or from properties such as crossing a sidewalk to enter a driveway / parking garage or similar, unless otherwise specifically permitted by the local authority.

I don't know if that's true or not but you failed to show any evidence for this statement in your previous post.

I see "Rules of the Road" in the case of a bicycle being on a highway but nothing so far to restrict a bicycle to the road only.
A bicycle being classified by California as a vehicle isn't enough for you?

Not to mention many states have similar classifications and rules?

edit on 11/19/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Still though, no one has provided any evidence that riding a bicycle on a sidewalk is legal, ANYWHERE.

I'm not even trying to prove it's legal.

Whereas I've provided proof such is specifically illegal, starting with California Vehicle Codes

You may think you have but you haven't yet. Please indicate specifically where you have done this. I see a list that pertains to the operation of a bicycle while on a highway, not limiting it to a highway.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

DenyObfuscation

Still though, no one has provided any evidence that riding a bicycle on a sidewalk is legal, ANYWHERE.

I'm not even trying to prove it's legal.

Whereas I've provided proof such is specifically illegal, starting with California Vehicle Codes

You may think you have but you haven't yet. Please indicate specifically where you have done this. I see a list that pertains to the operation of a bicycle while on a highway, not limiting it to a highway.

Really?
CVC specifies a bicycle is a 'vehicle' and is thus required to follow the laws, regulations and ordinances regarding 'vehicles'.

You need to find a better argument.

(post by DenyObfuscation removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

The problem is that the police officers are typically sadistic hotshots with Cartman-esque "rispekt mah authoritay" personalities reeking of dominance and oppression. Maybe they need to be sedated unlike all the children who supposedly need ritalin. Who the hell freaks out over someone riding a bike on a sidewalk? We need pacifist police officers, not high school bullies.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

DenyObfuscation

CVC specifies a bicycle is a 'vehicle' and is thus required to follow the laws, regulations and ordinances regarding 'vehicles'.

I asked you where you've shown this. Are you referring to this?

CVC 21200 (a) Every person riding a bicycle upon a highway has all the rights and is subject to all the provisions applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this division... except those provisions which by their very nature can have no application.

If so then you need to learn to read. If not, then where did you?
So definitions disappear because the 'vehicle' is not on a highway?

I love playing the devil's advocate.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   

DenyObfuscationI see "Rules of the Road" in the case of a bicycle being on a highway but nothing so far to restrict a bicycle to the road only.

Bicycles are codified as vehicles and vehicles are not permitted to operate on sidewalks.

Trouble reading much?

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Murgatroid
reply to post by bigfootgurl

record the incident and post it on YouTube...

This brings up another excellent point...

Just an FYI to all those LEO's who happen to be reading this now:

Whether you are caught on tape or not...

One day you WILL answer to God about how you used the authority that HE alone gave you.

Ask ANYONE who has ever had an NDE, they will confirm this as well.

God is giving authority to police in the states?
You learn something new every day i guess!

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Bicycles are codified as vehicles and vehicles are not permitted to operate on sidewalks.

So you keep saying.

Trouble reading much?

I can read just fine. You've not shown anything worth reading yet to support YOUR contention. You don't have it, you were caught out and can't accept it.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   

√ CVC. If the Ca. veh. code is utilized the State gets the majority of funds generated. If a Municipal Code is used to issue a citation then the city gets the majority of funds.

It is also against the law to operate a vehicle (bicycle is the same as an auto) with both ears occupied. This is because of sirens or lawful orders by a guy that got beat up in high school and now has a "score" to settle!!.

It should also be noted: any cooper worth His/Her "salt" wouldn't blow their cover over a bicyclist (even Lance Armstrong and copious amounts of 'juice') that challenges their "ego"...

I worked right across the bay from there and 'they' play by some weird rules.. There is a POSITIVE: This would be Armstrong is "lucky" He isn't in New Mexico because then the cops would've really dug into His sh..stuff and/or they'd shoot at Him as He tried to flee...

What happened to 'Verbal Judo' ? Sir, is there anything I can say or do to get You to go with the program?
namaste
edit on 20/11/13 by JustMike because: MOD NOTE: please see my Edit comments in your post here that explain why your earlier post attempts did not display correctly. Thank you.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Could you give us a source for that please?
Might be a good code to have memorized.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   

VforVendettea
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Could you give us a source for that please?
Might be a good code to have memorized.
Quite true.

People seem to have a penchant for accepting rhetoric, opinion and emotion yet overlook evidence.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

Williams was simply riding his bike on the sidewalk up to his residence in the complex when he was approached by undercover officers

Thank God we have undercover officers awaiting the next hardened criminal who dares ride a bicycle on a sidewalk!

I feel SO much safer now.

/EndSarcasm

I wish more people who take action when they see injustice. I wish these people would do their action and then leave before the yellow jacket swarm of backup arrives. Maybe these cops would start to get the message.

Probably not. They'd just start shooting to kill and lie about it.

Sad state of affairs, our increasing police state.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join