It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Angry Residents Step In To Stop Police Beating For 'Riding Bike On Sidewalk'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Their actions are illegal. And passing your own illegal rules doesn't make it legal.

Why don't all people stand up and surround them and intervene?

Why doesnt everyone head down there and demand the man with cane's release AND perform citizen's arrests on them, with camera's.

When they release their "We did it all ok the right way statements" why don't people say, YOU'RE UNDER ARREST AND THAT IS A LIE ASSHAT!

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

It appears irrelevant to the "authorities" about what is legal and illegal in your country.

Citizens getting beaten up / tazzzzzered / arrested for legal things.

Government (and their agencies) getting away with illegal things.

From where I am standing, you appear to be living in Backwardassville, United Thugs of America
edit on 19-11-2013 by Sublimecraft because: Backwardassville should be spelt with a capital B, my apologies there mate.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

ArchAngel_X
That's how you combat the problem, folks. You can take as many cell phone videos as you want, or file as many complains as you want, or post angry messageboards to online forums as you want, but the problem will never go away as long as people are complacent.

Witnessing an excessive use of force by police? Intervene, and compel other people around you to do the same, because one day you may be the person getting pummeled and would want others to help you. By standing by and allowing it to happen you are essentially saying that it's okay, and I believe that the more people actively show their displeasure at such events the less it will happen.

-EDIT-

Perhaps I got too ahead of myself upon viewing the video again. The video does only capture then end of the confrontation and not the events leading up to it, so perhaps there was an issue of resisting arrest. All this commotion over someone riding a bicycle, though? Was it really necessary to arrest someone?

I still stand behind the spirit of my original post, however.
edit on 19-11-2013 by ArchAngel_X because: (no reason given)

On the initial, we are ignorant.

On the shared agreaence portion of the events there are some facts to consider.
1. Defense of one's LIFE. SELF DEFENSE..
2. Does NOT matter if the ATTACKER had a redcoat/badge or not.
3. You can intervene on SELF DEFENSE if another human being is in actual peril.

I do not think someone should blindside an attacker, unless multiple verbals are ignored.

The problem is NOT the cops attacking..

THE PROBLEM IS the way ALL COPS are trained (save the fact they lack the integrity to REFUSE to carry out the training)... why? simple.

The BLUE LINE... even if the biggest scum bag on earth, somehow slithered their way onto the force, and was a known abuser who was beating a handicap granny. If that granny was about dead, and this cop had has gun drawn, you shoot to save the granny.. NO MATTER WHAT... You shot a COP..

EVERY COP IS NOW AFTER YOU... even the fellow "good" cops that knew the scum bag was horrible, but looked the other way, and even though they would agree the granny was gonna die, they will COME after YOU..
edit on 19-11-2013 by HanzHenry because: clear

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by erwalker

medically retired cop from Ca. Butt, I never got beat up in High School and retired right across the bay w/0 citizen's complaints. Each and every citizen I felt was 'my boss'. With that being typed...

The Ca. Vehicle Code treats the operation of a bicycle the same as a motorized vehicle (auto) Each municipality has a "local ordinance" This is so the City can write tickets/citations under the "City Code" and get the revenue w/out the State of Ca. getting a bigger chunk. If the citation is written for a CVC infraction the majority of the funds go to the State; a 'local' the majority stays 'local'

Operating the bicycle w/headphones is illegal as One ear must be exposed to hear any sirens, etc...

I wouldn't have added to this thread but because I also worked "dope" in an 'undercover capacity' I thought it important to mention: No way does One "blow their cover" on some guy on a bicycle! Whomever lose "their s--t" is probably due to rotate back to Traffic or Patrol or Admin. because it reads as if "The Streets" got the better of them..

What happened to "Verbal Judo"? 'Sir, is there anything I can say or do to get You to go with the program?' NO? here, have some of My Taze... Each time You have crappy police work it just makes the job even harder. This debacle on the heels of the New Mexico, first the "keester plant" and then Ofc. ShortPatience emptying His magazine at a fleeing vehicle..
Boo!

namaste
edit on 09/03/2013 by LewisStulePhD because: (no reason given)

edit on 09/03/2013 by LewisStulePhD because: (no reason given)

edit on 20/11/13 by JustMike because: Fixed coding so post will display. Note to member: please don't use the "< ---" (without the space between the arrow and the dashes) as this is a text command and it makes your post unreadable except in "quote" mode.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Boo!reply to post by erwalker

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by StallionDuck

Excellent Post....S&F for you.

Now to the subject at hand....rampant police brutality. I can't recall now how many videos I have seen of the police beating and even murdering people in cold blood. It is a disturbing trend that can be traced squarely to the major push to militarize police forces all over the US...police resemble combat troops far more than civilian peace officers. But it's not just their appearance and weapons that have changed. Police forces are more and more adopting military combat tactics when dealing with the public....the 50,000 SWAT raids every year in the US bear this out. These "combat troops" are sent out in armoured vehicles, armed to the teeth to serve warrants on petty crimes like marijuana possesion....often ending with some unlucky person being shot to death because the police got the wrong address....

The thing that struck me about this story is that people actually refused to sit by and watch as this kid was being beaten....perhaps to death. FOR RIDING A BIKE ON A SIDEWALK!! They risked themselves for another. It showed courage, character, and common human decency. Something the police seem to no longer have.

edit on 19-11-2013 by deadcalm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

It seems that even with all the supposed cuts, we have too many police.
There is always a dozen available to take down a sidewalk riding biker or a granny pruning a park tree, but no one to answer a 911 call, or if they do show up for that they shoot the person who called for help.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I am so happy to be seeing this headline FINALLY.

Mark my words: This is NOT the end.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord
The important thing to note here, is that it's not illegal to ride a bicycle less than 15mph on sidewalks zoned residential anywhere in the country.

Not true. In California, though bicyclists have mostly the same rights and status as pedestrians, bicycles are considered vehicles and must be operated on appropriate roadways, and within bicycle lanes when and where they exist.

CVC 21200 (a) Every person riding a bicycle upon a highway has all the rights and is subject to all the provisions applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this division... except those provisions which by their very nature can have no application.

CVC 21650 Upon all highways, a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway...

CVC 21202. A. Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except under any of the following situations:
1.When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
2.When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
3.When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions (including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes) that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge, subject to the provisions of Section 21656. For purposes of this section, a "substandard width lane" is a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and a vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.
4.When approaching a place where a right turn is authorized.

CVC 21650.1. A bicycle operated on a roadway, or the shoulder of a highway, shall be operated in the same direction as vehicles are required to be driven upon the roadway.

CVC 21208. (a) Whenever a bicycle lane has been established on a roadway pursuant to Section 21207, any person operating a bicycle upon the roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction at that time shall ride within the bicycle lane, except that the person may move out of the lane under any of the following situations:
1.When overtaking and passing another bicycle, vehicle, or pedestrian within the lane or about to enter the lane if the overtaking and passing cannot be done safely within the lane.
2.When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
3.When reasonably necessary to leave the bicycle lane to avoid debris or other hazardous conditions.
4.When approaching a place where a right turn is authorized.
(b) No person operating a bicycle shall leave a bicycle lane until the movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after giving an appropriate signal in the manner provided in Chapter 6 (commencing with Section 22100) in the event that any vehicle may be affected by the movement.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

theantediluvian
reply to post by loveguy

Well, I was glad to see a white guy came to DJ's aid.
I'd expect a race riot otherwise.

Do a lot of race baiting? We've got cops beating up people for riding bicycles on the sidewalk and that's your first remark? Come on! Police brutality is everyone's concern.

Yeah, so it's nice to see when a human acts like a human, (any race) isn't it?
I suppose you might not like a guy like me coming to your aid?

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Taggart

Like I said, I don't condone the actions of the SFPD. Their reaction was over the top, especially given the circumstances, and the officers involved should be punished for any wrongdoing.

However, my comment was clearly directed SkepticOverlord's statement. Making demonstrably false claims does nobody any good.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

erwalker
reply to post by Taggart

Like I said, I don't condone the actions of the SFPD. Their reaction was over the top, especially given the circumstances, and the officers involved should be punished for any wrongdoing.

However, my comment was clearly directed SkepticOverlord's statement. Making demonstrably false claims does nobody any good.

Who made false claims? I quoted you because I thought it would quote both comments, he wasn't arrested for riding a bicycle on a sidewalk, he was arrested for not cooperating with the police, they asked him to get off the bicycle but he didn't hear and drove on.

It is said in the video.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
In my opinion this is exactly what the second amendment is for. The public should be educated as to what it's for, why the forefathers put it in tge constitution and the public should start acting on it.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Taggart

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

deadcalm

Police forces are more and more adopting military combat tactics when dealing with the public....the 50,000 SWAT raids every year in the US bear this out. These "combat troops" are sent out in armoured vehicles, armed to the teeth to serve warrants on petty crimes like marijuana possesion....often ending with some unlucky person being shot to death because the police got the wrong address....

The thing that struck me about this story is that people actually refused to sit by and watch as this kid was being beaten....perhaps to death. FOR RIDING A BIKE ON A SIDEWALK!! They risked themselves for another. It showed courage, character, and common human decency. Something the police seem to no longer have.

edit on 19-11-2013 by deadcalm because: (no reason given)

One cannot possess honor/integrity in their defined form and wear a badge.. the badge is anti freedom at it's CORE. that is why there is an upper IQ LIMIT for most LEO work. Those smart enough to question, smart enough to recognize patterns and contradictions are a DANGER to the most CORRUPT SLAVE PRISON SYSTEM... IN THE WORLD... the ENTIRE WORLD none has more behind bars.. even countries with TRIPLE the people have less in jail.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Metaphysique

I love watching that video, ive seen it so many times and it gets better every time , just think if people stood up for injustice like that more often, cops would be scared to be the savages they often become.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   
SFPD response may be over the top, excessive, or whatever.

That still doesn't change the fact a bicycle is considered a 'vehicle' under California law, and it is illegal to operate a vehicle on sidewalks and other public walkways with the exception of as necessary to permit egress to or from properties such as crossing a sidewalk to enter a driveway / parking garage or similar, unless otherwise specifically permitted by the local authority.

It IS illegal to ride a bike on sidewalks in MANY urban and sub-urban locales and specifically forbidden by laws in many major cities around the US, even in eco-friendly Oregon, where one can't even pump one's own gas, but you can pump diesel... go figure.

It's illegal in New York, Albany, San Diego, Eugene, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco.... Need I go on?
And if you want to argue, get your sources before you reply.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

deadcalmNow to the subject at hand....
Blatant disregard of law.

Fixed it for you.

SFPD's response may have been excessive, but that doesn't give the person on the bike the right to operate the bicycle in a manner contrary to law, does it?

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
surprised they never shot his bike

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

erwalker
While I certainly don't condone the apparent actions of the SF police, your statement is not true.

Some time ago, I was somewhat involved in bicycle advocacy to ensure stupid laws don't happen. If you look deeper into each of the items you cited, there are always several provisions. Among them the residential/15mph as well as other provisions for retail and commercial. Otherwise, it would be technically illegal for people to transition from the street to their home or a business.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join